Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V

Old 06-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
Menen

Skyrim Crashes to Dekstop on Save Load

So I tried to play skyrim today and it decides to crash to the desktop when I load ANY save. Even when starting a new game it crashes. Mods arent a problem because i haven't installed any new mods since i last played, and it was working fine. All my mods are from the Workshop.

Ive already done everything in the Stickied thread about Secondary Installers but none of that seems to solve my problems. Ive tried Reinstalling Skyrim and uninstalling all mods but neither seem to work.

Anyone have a clue whats going on?
Old 06-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
Mersopolis

Perhaps some of the mods you already have were updated and caused this.
Mersopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
Menen

But even without mods, i crash.
Menen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
winnythemini

Same here.
Had no issues at all so far, but today I am just getting crashes to desktop, can´t play at all. o_o
I can load save files, but whenever I enter/leave buildings or fast-travel game just shuts down without any message.
winnythemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #5
Menen

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnythemini View Post
Same here.
Had no issues at all so far, but today I am just getting crashes to desktop, can´t play at all. o_o
I can load save files, but whenever I enter/leave buildings or fast-travel game just shuts down without any message.
Mine is more sever than that. Yours is probably mod caused.

Mine, however, is something deeper than mods
Old 06-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
MaintenanceMan

Try it in offline mode, maybe somethings screwed up with the cloud or something.
MaintenanceMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #7
Menen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaintenanceMan View Post
Try it in offline mode, maybe somethings screwed up with the cloud or something.
Tried that too. The first time i tried to play again it said it couldnt connect to the cloud, then it stopped showing the message and continued to crash.

I think this was caused by the cloud....
Old 06-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #8
Breton Warrior

Reinstalling Skyrim and Uninstalling all Mods could still leave some INI changes in the My Games-Skyrim Folder, its worth removing those two INI in that folder then do the Steam Verify just to double check your install, then start the game. Skyrim will re-check your Vid Card and replace the missing INI files with fresh Vanilla versions.

BTW: I agree on the trying in OffLine Mode as I do suspect being constantly linked in with the "cloud" may contribute to odd issues here and there. In fact if you only play on the one PC (as I do) I do not have Synch turned on just in case the "saves" held by Steam are getting corrupted in the Synch process?
Breton Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #9
Menen

Problem still persists, even after trying all those things.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #10
Breton Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menen View Post
Problem still persists, even after trying all those things.

Confused, Me Too?

Lets just double check O/K?

1) You did a clean install?

2) You uninstalled all Mods?

3) You have now done the INI replace thing and a Verify?

4) You cannot even start the game to create a new character?

5) So no Mods at all? if no Mods and a clean install there should be no Meshes or Textures Folder in your Skyrim Main Folder, all Skyrim stuff apart from the main ESM and a couple of smaller things is all in the BSA's. So remove everything from the Data Folder that is not a Sykrim.ESM or Skyrim BSA Archive, you may lose an interface folder but that may heve been changed by a previous Mod anyway. If you do that you will need to run verify again just to pick up any smaller file that got deleted, 99% of Skyrim is in that ESM and those BSA archives.

Try that, if no good then carry on with the questions below, good luck. BW

When does it crash, is it when trying to get to the Play-Options-Data Files splash screen or after that when you are trying to go to play either from a save or a new start?

Crashing as the game tries to get to that first Play-Options splash screen often indicates a missing game file, corrupt INI and even a missing ESM that a mod uses.

Crashing when trying to start a save is most likely a save corruption or the mods are so changed since that save it just cannot run, especially if a large Mod or Body Mod has been removed.
Breton Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:41 PM   #11
Menen

Thanks for all your help guys. I figured out the problem was a stupid mistake on my side; I had WAY too many mods. Deleted the ones i dont need anymore. THanks again! I can play now!
Old 06-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #12
sneakbyte

Turn off steam cloud and steam community in-game. Unistall skyrim and delete the skyrim folder. Go to your My documents/My Games/skyrim and delete everything except the saves folder.

Reinstall and start skyrim, start a new game play for an 1 hour - 2 hours, save and try loading the save. If it doesn't crash then skyrim is installed correctly. Try to load you other saves now and they shouldn't crash.
sneakbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #13
Menen

Great. Now i have a NEW problem...

I uninstalled a mod i never used, and now its causing my game to glitch out.

I dont remember what one it was because i uninstalled a few :C
Old 06-05-2012, 09:43 PM   #14
Menen

Wait. Nevermind. Im stupid.

Figured it out...
Old 06-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #15
analog_relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breton Warrior View Post
BTW: I agree on the trying in OffLine Mode as I do suspect being constantly linked in with the "cloud" may contribute to odd issues here and there. In fact if you only play on the one PC (as I do) I do not have Synch turned on just in case the "saves" held by Steam are getting corrupted in the Synch process?
I have been thinking about this. How many people have cloud synch turned off? I do and I have not had more than 5 CTDs since first installed. I reckon you might be right BW.
analog_relic is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V