Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2

Old 06-09-2012, 01:56 AM   #1
audiOtrash

Your map is great, PLAY MINE <LINK HERE>

Deleting at least one of these comments every hour is pretty annoying. I understand people want to advertise their work on more popular maps (deja vu from me), but i have experienced people that literally stalk your submissions and paste the same comment i just deleted again which is mosty "good map but test mine" or "good map but do you really want a challenge? then test my map <link>".

Is it possible to block certain users from commenting on your submissions?
Old 06-09-2012, 02:32 AM   #2
SJamesTurner

just post in the Puzzle Maker subforum, I'm sure there's better posting etiquette for sharing maps.
SJamesTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:40 AM   #3
LPChip

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJamesTurner View Post
just post in the Puzzle Maker subforum, I'm sure there's better posting etiquette for sharing maps.
Actually this topic is not about requesting to share link, this is a problem with the game itself. This subforum should be fine I think. Its about the steam workshop, not maps made either with hammer or PeTI, as it'll happen to both of em.

Back to the topic. I agree. It sucks if people just post and advertise their maps. I'll also remove those posts if I see them on my maps.
LPChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:47 AM   #4
Alexander Bell

This thread is great, but want a real challenge? Read mine! http://www.alinkthatdoesntgoanywhere...areallink.link.

I agree, but it's very hard to get publicity for good maps! look at "GLaDOS Factory", it's one of the top maps this week. They all (it's a collection) suck! everything but what is required is black, there are no hard puzzles... and yet my maps (and countless others with maps like mine) (mostly white, somewhat hard puzzles) are buried in hoards of crap maps (hell, I saw a map where the floor was faith plates and turrets fell from the ceiling at the start, and you had to get to the exit with no puzzle in the top rated maps). I think that it would be cool if there was something like this on the maps description page

Portalable: 87%
Non Portalable: 13%

for all maps, that might filter some bad maps out of the top rated.

Woah, I got way off topic.

Back on topic, yeah. At least they made it so you can delete posts!
Alexander Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
Aicxe

your map is great, play mine http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...16514564651354
Aicxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
joey19982

I don't have any published maps at the moment (I had some, but just deleted them as they were only to test the maker. I rather play the maps then make them, that's just how I am.), but I've seen these comments and it annoys me. They really should look into a way of fixing it, such as blocking people, like you said. That may slow it down a bit.

The first few days that PeTI was out, there were great maps on the main page. I could go through the first page and get a great queue within a few seconds. Now, as Alexander said, there are blank ones like "GLaDOS Factory" filling up the spot where maps that actually had hard work put into them should be. Instead of the few seconds on the first page like it was a few weeks ago, I have to spend 5 minutes going up to past page 15 to get a great queue.

It's really frustrating just for me picking maps, so I can imagine it must be 5x worse for those of you who publish maps.
joey19982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:37 AM   #7
Tank420

OK I have the perfect example of this.

First page of the workshop with 30 per page.

About half way down you'll see two of my maps, 'Green Lasers' & 'Multiverse Generator'. These are both concept maps, Green Lasers has a kind of explanatory puzzle, but not much thinking involved, it's not a 'good' puzzle in my eyes(it's not supposed to be), just a good idea(and example of how the lasers are supposed to work) and Multiverse Generator was a FAIL at an attempt at endless place which is published because I found it amusing.

I then have to go all the way to page 3, again 30 per page, to find an actual puzzle of mine.

It seems that if you put a pretty picture on it, it does well, perhaps i'll put a wall in my next chamber some sexy models on it and have a button so you can change which model you look at and publish that with a picture of a nekid girl, fast car and an explosion!!

Also it does make me wonder, all these people who are essentially spamming our comments sections, are they frustrated authors with the same problem we're having, perhaps next time i get spammed i'll try it out.

Last edited by Tank420: 06-11-2012 at 01:57 AM.
Tank420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:55 AM   #8
TheHolyChicken

My most recent example:
"i'm a disabled vet and it would mean a lot to me if you can try my first chamber that i published yesterday [LINK]"

Going for the sympathy vote, obviously.
TheHolyChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:11 AM   #9
Tank420

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHolyChicken View Post
My most recent example:
"i'm a disabled vet and it would mean a lot to me if you can try my first chamber that i published yesterday [LINK]"

Going for the sympathy vote, obviously.

. <----- whats that?
Spoiler:
it's the worlds smallest violin playing for your disabled vet friend
Old 06-11-2012, 08:30 AM   #10
Catsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank420 View Post
Also it does make me wonder, all these people who are essentially spamming our comments sections, are they frustrated authors with the same problem we're having, perhaps next time i get spammed i'll try it out.
I suspect for some that's true, but it doesn't make it any less aggravating.

I'm seeing this problem a lot in threads with a specific purpose, like the Feedback Loop. People walking in obviously just looking for a place to spam a link to their map(s), haven't read the thread rules or don't care.
Catsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #11
joey19982

Quote:
About half way down you'll see two of my maps, 'Green Lasers' & 'Multiverse Generator'. These are both concept maps, Green Lasers has a kind of explanatory puzzle, but not much thinking involved, it's not a 'good' puzzle in my eyes(it's not supposed to be), just a good idea(and example of how the lasers are supposed to work) and Multiverse Generator was a FAIL at an attempt at endless place which is published because I found it amusing.

I then have to go all the way to page 3, again 30 per page, to find an actual puzzle of mine.
Yeah, I've played both of those puzzles of yours. I actually voted down Multiverse Generator, not because I didn't like it, but just because I didn't find it "first-page-worthy". Although I'm not sure what decides if you are on the first page or not. Amount of plays, amount of votes, etc. Green Lasers was a nice concept, but again not a real puzzle, so I just left that neutral.

Anyway, one way Valve could "fix" the map spamming in comments is to disable links to their own maps. So if someone were to try and post:
Quote:
hey guyz i liek portal 2 so can you check out my map plz [TheirMapLink]
It would say "Unable to post comment. You cannot link to your own maps."

The only flaw to this would be if someone tried posting:
Quote:
I really like your map, but may I suggest that you change [X] to something like [X]? I have a concept map if you want to check out what I mean. [TheirMapLink]
joey19982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:07 PM   #12
Haaselh0ff

Quote:
OK I have the perfect example of this.

First page of the workshop with 30 per page.

It seems that if you put a pretty picture on it, it does well, perhaps i'll put a wall in my next chamber some sexy models on it and have a button so you can change which model you look at and publish that with a picture of a nekid girl, fast car and an explosion!!

I didn't get the fun in GreenLaser... it's just a fizzler and a laser field COMBINED.
Haaselh0ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #13
Tank420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaselh0ff View Post
I didn't get the fun in GreenLaser... it's just a fizzler and a laser field COMBINED.
yeah, so it takes up less space than using both, and it looks cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey19982 View Post
Yeah, I've played both of those puzzles of yours. I actually voted down Multiverse Generator, not because I didn't like it, but just because I didn't find it "first-page-worthy". Although I'm not sure what decides if you are on the first page or not. Amount of plays, amount of votes, etc. Green Lasers was a nice concept, but again not a real puzzle, so I just left that neutral.
Perfect, obviously i would of preferred neutral on both, but multiverse, is crap. so i get why you voted down. the only good thing is it's getting my other maps some exposure.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:14 PM   #14
Catsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey19982 View Post
It would say "Unable to post comment. You cannot link to your own maps."
Yeah, nice idea but the problem is what you mentioned: it would prevent legitimate link-sharing. That would be less of an issue if Steam had some kind of proper offline PM system; you could just send someone a message with it if they wanted the link.
Catsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #15
WSThink

Quote:
Although I'm not sure what decides if you are on the first page or not. Amount of plays, amount of votes, etc.
The theory I read and that made sense was that it's based on the amount of people playing a certain map at a given time. As long as it's not 0/5, I doubt ratings matter.

Completely agree with the "You can't link to your own maps" thing. But then, wouldn't friends start spamming *your* maps so you spam theirs?
WSThink is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2