Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Binding of Isaac, The

Old 06-09-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
Tsuchirinhon

Guppy's Hairball is driving me insane.

I just cannot find 3 of the items. I always find two, even when doing it under the 9 Lives Challenge.

Argh, any tips? The game has been throwing Angel Rooms at me non-stop, and even re-rolling D6 for the Devil Rooms just gives me non-Guppy items.

Did you unlock it during the 9 Lives Challenge or during a normal game? Which do you think is better? The challenge makes it so that you only need two more Guppy items, but doing a normal run allows you to use the D6, so.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
Lostie

I unlocked it by accident during a normal Isaac D6 game, in fact I was trying for a different achievement so the cat items were low down on my priority list (I even ignored 1 or 2 of them on that run). I really think you're looking in the wrong places, I may have got 1 cat item in a devil room but from what I remember they most commonly spawn in secret rooms and especially curse rooms (those rooms with the spikes in the doorway). Curse and secret rooms are far more common than devil rooms, so focus on them and use your bombs on every level to find the secret room (not the top secret room!). It is possible I suppose for them to appear in the top secret room, but far more uncommon so don't use your last bombs looking for this room).
Lostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
guil13st

I just got it in a normal run with Isaac.

Got the Paw from the Devil's Room, after I used the D6. Then got both Tail and Head from Curse Rooms. At first it didnt unlocked, then I switched the Head for the Paw again and the secret appeared.

I also got Epic Fetus from a secret room in the next floor. Yay.
guil13st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:04 PM   #4
Tsuchirinhon

I never find items in Curse rooms. Only chests filled with Spiders or normal items like bombs and keys.

Moreover, I'm pretty sure the Secret Item roll list is limited and doesn't include Guppy items.
Tsuchirinhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #5
Vimescarrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuchirinhon View Post

Moreover, I'm pretty sure the Secret Item roll list is limited and doesn't include Guppy items.
It does at least include the Dead Cat.
Vimescarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #6
Tsuchirinhon

Of course, right after I post this thread, I get three of the items, hahaha.

On the first floor, I finally found an item in the Curse Room, and it was Guppy's Head. I picked it up, then picked my D6 back up and rerolled. It turned into a Guppy's Paw. Picked it up and used it twice, then picked my D6 back up and left it there.

Then, all the way in the Depths 1, I got a Devil Room, but there was no Guppy item. Rerolled, but still nothing. Ran around trying to find a Curse Room or Secret Room, but they had nothing useful. So, when I was heading to the trapdoor for the Depths 2, I noticed that the Devil Room was still there [which is kind of rare]. So, I go back in and reroll again. Lo and behold, Guppy's Tail appears. I grab it while only having one normal Heart remaining, which kills me and gives me a Game Over.

I expected that, but it doesn't matter since I had all three items at one point in that life. I found Guppy's Hairball in an item shop in the next playthrough, haha.
Tsuchirinhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:56 PM   #7
D4Dummy

keep trying
D4Dummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:43 PM   #8
Batabii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuchirinhon View Post
Try satan rooms or boss rooms?I have yet to get d6 to EVER roll up a Lord of the Pit.
Batabii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:17 PM   #9
TheInsaneEye

I just got Guppy's Hair Ball during my Isaac Was Good Today run.

Picked Guppy's Head on the first floor (curse room chest), and Guppy's Tail on the second floor (used Joker to get to devil room), and finally Dead Cat in Sheol (used Joker again and got lucky).

I had tons of health in Sheol, and picking the Dead Cat pretty much doomed me. But it was much more rewarding to get the hair ball, I can redo the challenge at any time.
TheInsaneEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:56 AM   #10
DarkDXZ

It would be epic if you could later start out as Guppy once you unlock it.
It would be somewhat OP, (somewhat), but you know, it's a rather situational to get it once, much less to get it "frequently".

And I have yet to get it.
DarkDXZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:46 AM   #11
MrUnderstanding

Unlocked it last night doing challenge 9, luckiest run ever.

Still haven't gotten Mom's Contact though. >.>
MrUnderstanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #12
tovar

edit: wrong thread...
tovar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #13
Newel

I advise to not do the 9 Lives Challenge when aiming for Guppy's Hairball:

It seems like a good choice since you only have to find two more items, but i'd say the fact that the challenge is over after the fight with Mom in the Depths (unless you can teleport past her somehow) narrows your chances more than having a full run - with a chance for a Devil Room in The Womb 1, as well as multiple Curse Rooms as wel as Locked Chests (particularly if you have Guppy's Tail!) even up to Sheol/Cathedral).

Also having Dead Cat right off the bet might make trading Guppy's Head in the Devil Room impossible if you happen to only have one heart container at that part.
(Saying that doesn't seem to make too much sense since you'll get Dead Cat anyways, but afaik you need any three of the four Guppy items, therefore not necessarily the Dead Cat. Also if you happen to get in the Devil Room with three heart containers, if he offers Dead Cat and another Guppy item, you can collect both at once. Even if you died after collecting Dead Cat, you'd get ressurected.)

It's very important to do pretty good throughout the entire run since you want the Devil Room to appear as often as possible.
Always go in the Curse Rooms, since these can contain a Guppy item, too.

Also you might even consider opening Locked Chests over Shops and Item Rooms, since these won't contain any Guppy Items (as opposed to the chests).
If you get Guppy's Tail early i the game, i'd say there's a good chance to find two more Guppy items due to the high amount of locked chests alone - given that you can open them of course, e.g. with help of the Flat Penny or a Skeleton Key (or Pyromancer and a "Bombs are Key" Pill).

I unlocked the hairball today (with ???/BlueBaby, who is generally not a good character choice for that since he makes trading with the Devil hard when you carry Dead Cat around)

Got 9 Lives in Basement 2 and from there always checked the Curse Rooms (even though they tend to be a bad idea with ???)
I got both Guppy's Paw as well as Guppy's Head offered in Depths 1, but could only take the Head since i didn't have enough Soul Hearts for both.
I checked this floor's Curse Room now (since otherwise i couldn't have made a single trade because of losing a Soul Heart), and luckily found Guppy's Paw inside one of the two chests i found there inside.

(I carried Book of Shadows at this part, Guppy's Head was in the Boss Room - since i fought The Headless Horseman and The Pony was inclosed in the Devil Room. So you presumably only have to collect three Guppy items over the curse of one run, which could mean that you could probably trade one of the activated Guppy items for another one and would still unlock the hairball.)

Even though Guppy's Paw is absolutely useless on BlueBaby, in this case it would still have been profitable even if i had already unlocked Guppy's Hairball, since turning into a cat gives you the ability to fly.

In general when just going for Guppy's Hairball, i'd of course use Isaac since the D6 makes getting the right items in the Devil Room (or even the Curse Rooms) much easier - so that's probably my fourth major advise: Keep your D6 for the rooms that can turn the collectible items into Guppy items.
As i said i'm not entirely sure if you still turn into a cat if you left one of the actiated guppy items in an earlier floor. But if this is the case, consider switching from Guppy's Head or Paw immediately back to the D6 (which you can activate if it's still charged to turn Guppy's whatever into another Devil Room item that you can possibly make use of, like The Pact - or of course another Guppy item).
If you keep the Paw, you also keep in mind to keep two spare heart containers so you'll still be able to trade with the Devil - otherwise he might keep the Guppy item you need

Two more little tips:
The Joker is a great card to get particularly for your goal, so always wait after the Boss fight, then use it if the Devil Room didn't appear. Don't use it before the fighting the Boss, since this might waste the extra opportunity to the Devil Room if it opens up after the figh anyways.

A last little tip that might make the difference you need is the choice of the right trinket: As mentioned above, Flat Penny is great with Guppy's Tail.
The Ace of Spades increases the chances of finding deck cards - including the Joker, which allows getting to the Devil Room even in Depths 2.
Consider keeping this card even above generally good trinkets that increase your damage like Cancer or the Push Pin. Try to not pick up The Tick.
Mom's Pearl increases the chance of finding Mom items, so i'd refrain from taking that one too (since it also changes the Locked Chest contents i assume).

Sorry, the post is pretty long and a bit messy. I'll just go ahead and say i gave you either seven or nine major advices in total, which would seem like a fool-proof way to unlock Guppy's Hairball considering the topic, wouldn't it? :P

Last edited by Newel: 06-12-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Newel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #14
pharphis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newel View Post
I advise to not do the 9 Lives Challenge when aiming for Guppy's Hairball:

Also having Dead Cat right off the bet might make trading Guppy's Head in the Devil Room impossible if you happen to only have one heart container at that part.
(Saying that doesn't seem to make too much sense since you'll get Dead Cat anyways, but afaik you need any three of the four Guppy items, therefore not necessarily the Dead Cat. Also if you happen to get in the Devil Room with three heart containers, if he offers Dead Cat and another Guppy item, you can collect both at once. Even if you died after collecting Dead Cat, you'd get ressurected.)
If you only have one heart i'm pretty sure you can trade for 2 heart items anyway. I can't think of a time that hasn't worked for me, anyway.

Also, if you feel like you're lacking in power just use your lives on a relatively easy boss over and over to scavenge lots of items. In one of my runs I think I had ~60 items because I got 2 guppys in one run. If using this strategy, save the soul hearts lying around the floor to take AFTER you are on your last life, that way you don't waste them when you kill yourself to rerun the boss, and also make yourself less likely to die in case you don't get a lot of health-up items from the boss kills.

when I got this achievement i'm pretty sure it was with the D6, adn in that run with all the lives I used. I had Cain, and got the 2nd and 3rd item in a devil room at the same time. One thing I am unable to confirm is whether you can count 2 dead cats as 2 different guppy items (depends on how the in-game counter works towards the achievement) as I didn't get the achievement in-game, and didn't want to test it out, either.

I want to also vouch for the ace of spades, because I had 2 or 3 joker cards on one floor of the womb in one of my runs, and if you have the D6 you can space them out so that you can keep rerolling the items in the devil room.

Hope that helps
pharphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:00 AM   #15
ProfessaD

i'm near tempted to keep rushing the challenge that instantly gives you Dr. Fetus, being over-powered helps you not to get hit which +s the chance of the devil room significantly, however in return halts your chance after mom's heart (I think). I tried the normal Isaac D6 method earlier and came close missing one item, I even had 99 keys and the tail making gold chests drop like crazy but no luck :/.

If I get lucky in the Dr. Fetus challenge i'll repost, but so far the best method/ suggestion has definitely been posted by Newel
ProfessaD is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Binding of Isaac, The