Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V

Old 06-12-2012, 06:07 AM   #1
m0n0lyth

Question Alt+Tab = double cursor

Since the latest update to skyrim, whenever I alt+tab and then return to the game, I have two pointers on screen. One is the usual Skyrim cursor and the other is the basic windows cursor. They each have seemingly different sensitivities and thus travel across the screen in different places, at different rates. With menus closed, the windows cursor stays up on the screen. So far I have found the only fix to be exiting the game completely, and restarting.

Has anyone else here come across a similar issue?
Old 06-12-2012, 06:11 AM   #2
MrQuinkle

Yep. Just started having this issue yesterday. I've found that if you alt-tab out, and then actually use alt-tab to get back in, sometimes you will not get that cursor. Still a very irritating bug.
MrQuinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
kevenc

Same problem here... trying to find a fix
kevenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
ESCUDO

Disable Steam In-Game and try to play =)
ESCUDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
Montyleeny15

This is an issue that has been going on with me for some time. To avoid a double cursor, I usually just press 'Esc' to the system menu, and then alt+tab. It unusually resolves my double cursor problem.
Montyleeny15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
kevenc

alright ill try that
kevenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #7
Septi'

Try to disable the visual theme and the desktop composition in the properties of TESV.exe. It works for me.
Septi' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:41 PM   #8
analog_relic

I found that opening any menu (favourites, inventory or magic for certain) and then alt+tabbing does not cause the mouse cursor to appear. If it already is on the screen, the only way I know works is to quut and restart skyrim.
analog_relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #9
giskarduk

The issue appeared in the 1.6 patch, prior to that there was no problem alt tabbing from skyrim.
giskarduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:53 PM   #10
kabtq9s

same here too
kabtq9s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:38 AM   #11
ESCUDO

I'm really sorry i did TWO things yesterday and i thought the Steam In-game was the issue but it's not it's the other thing i did that fixed the problem ^^

Go to Control Panel then go to Mouse Properties under Hardware, then on Mouse go to "Pointers" and remove the checkbox from "Allow Themes to Change Mouse Pointers" and apply, hope it works this time. ^^

This worked even after a double mouse Cursor after i go back to the game again.
ESCUDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:24 AM   #12
Tyraa Rane

You can also "prevent" this by alt-tabbing out of Skyrim only when on the tab/quick menu (the one with the four compass points for map, items, etc.). No way to "fix" it once you've already got the second pointer, though, short of quitting and relaunching the game.

For me, the Windows mouse pointer popping in only started with the 1.6 beta...and unfortunately it wasn't fixed in the final. Obviously due to something Bethesda tweaked. If I alt-tab out on any other screen (including the system menu, loading screens, etc.) I get an instant Windows mouse pointer when I alt-tab back in. Alt-tabbing out on the tab/quick menu is the only way to prevent it.
Tyraa Rane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:12 AM   #13
Breton Warrior

Odd as I mentioned right back at the beginning (I think it was here?) I've always found it difficult to get Skyrim to come back properlly after Alt-Tab, had the same with Oblivion? Must be my PC even though it has had two different OS on it and a couple of different keyboards ( I do know that the keyboard would make no difference) but maybe the OS? (unlikely)

Just suprised to see how many have been able to do it, apart from this current double cursor thing of course. I'm not that bothered as I see no real need, if I have to stop playing to look at something else at least it gives the Vram and Ram a chance to clear the Skyrim stuff out.

But out of curiosity any ideas why it cannot do it properlly with games?
Breton Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:23 AM   #14
bobczes

This is how the Alt-Tab function works in a Windows PC.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alt-Tab

The use of the modifier key Alt in using Alt+Tab ⇆ differs from typical modifier key use in the following ways:

There is a difference in behavior when the user releases Alt and presses Alt+Tab ⇆ again vs. holding Alt continuously while pressing Tab ⇆ repeatedly.
Releasing Alt has an immediate effect: it closes the task switcher and switches to the selected task.

There are many subtleties to the behavior of Alt+Tab ⇆, and they have remained mostly unchanged over the years.

The behavior follows these rules:

If there is more than one top-level window, the task list appears as soon as Tab ⇆ is pressed for the first time while Alt is being held down.
The task list remains open until Alt is released.
Tab ⇆ moves the cursor forward in the list; ⇧ Shift+Tab ⇆ moves it backward.
Tab ⇆ or ⇧ Shift+Tab ⇆ will autorepeat if held down (useful if there are many windows).
With the initial press of Tab ⇆ or ⇧ Shift+Tab ⇆, the selection cursor starts on the window immediately following or immediately preceding the active one.
If there are no topmost windows above the active window, an initial ⇧ Shift+Tab ⇆ wraps the cursor around to the end of the list.
Using the mouse to click on a task icon in the task window switches to that task (does not work on Windows XP and earlier).
Pressing Esc or clicking the mouse outside of the task window while Alt is still down cancels the switch.
The windows are listed by their Z-order.
Any windows that are "always on top" are placed at the front of the Z-order sequence, followed by the current window and the windows underneath it.
Switching to a window moves it to the front of the Z-order, with the exception that "always on top" windows remain topmost and at the front of the list.
When the Alt+Tab ⇆ task switcher window is not active, Alt+Esc places the active window at the bottom of the Z-order.
Alt+⇧ Shift+Esc is equivalent to one Alt+⇧ Shift+Tab ⇆ except that minimized windows are selected without being restored.
Minimizing a window also sends it to the back of the Z-order in the same way as Alt+Esc.
bobczes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:48 AM   #15
bobczes

OK. I have had time to look at this. It seems this problem only arises when I leave the Steam page open before I click the PLAY button. If I close the Steam page, I use TAB-Shift in-game to access the Steam overlay and am able to return to the game with no second mouse problems.

Alternatively it seems, for me, in-game with the Steam page open, Alt-Tab creates a black screen when I try to return to the game. If I drag the window over I can click on the game icon in the task bar and return to the game with no mouse problem.
bobczes is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V