Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RailWorks

Old 06-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
kurabess

Duplicate files. Should I keep or delete?

Good day forum!
Program I am using to keep my computer clean and lean found 17 GB of duplicate files on my drive C. I "google" information on subject, but found conflicting answers. Since being a member of the forum, I found my self in "hot waters" once or twice in regards to RW3 problems I had encounter,always had members help.
Members opinion, what should I do with duplicate files,...keep or delete. There about 77.000 of duplicate files, tedious repetitive "click/delete" work.
Thank,s
Jack.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
peterhayes

KB
It depends! Windows often has duplicates in different directories as do other programs and apps. So there's no blanket rule for deleting duplicate files even some text and doc files have the same name (and size) and may not be duplicates. I use a program called dupe trasher but I use filters for files txt doc xlx etc and get it to match on name size and date so that I know that its almost a 100% duplicate but it's still tedious to check each one before deleting.
Good luck
PeterH
peterhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
kurabess

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterhayes View Post
KB
It depends! Windows often has duplicates in different directories as do other programs and apps. So there's no blanket rule for deleting duplicate files even some text and doc files have the same name (and size) and may not be duplicates. I use a program called dupe trasher but I use filters for files txt doc xlx etc and get it to match on name size and date so that I know that its almost a 100% duplicate but it's still tedious to check each one before deleting.
Good luck
PeterH
PeterH.Hello.
Thank You for responding to my post.
As I read info. on dups. files, and You stated as I understood correctly,... will not delete them.
Thank,s once again for answering my question.
Jack.
kurabess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
peterhayes

Jack
You are welcome. Funny enough one of the big killers of PC performance are/is (sic) the 'humble' font files even just a few hundred can lower performance by quite a bit!! Mind you, I once tried to remove some from my system and ran into all kinds of problems.
Nuke the dupes.
pH
peterhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
arizonachris

17Gb of duplicate files? Holy crap! Are they all RW files or from different programs? If it's RW stuff, no, do not delete. If it's other files, run "CCleaner" http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download and get rid of the junk. 17Gb to me is a lot of junk.

I also run the CCleaner's Registry tool, but backup the Registry before you run that tool. I have never had a problem, but just in case. You can also do a "disk cleanup" of your hard drive. How to do that, depends on what version of Windows you have.
arizonachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:45 PM   #6
kurabess

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonachris View Post
17Gb of duplicate files? Holy crap! Are they all RW files or from different programs? If it's RW stuff, no, do not delete. If it's other files, run "CCleaner" http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download and get rid of the junk. 17Gb to me is a lot of junk.

I also run the CCleaner's Registry tool, but backup the Registry before you run that tool. I have never had a problem, but just in case. You can also do a "disk cleanup" of your hard drive. How to do that, depends on what version of Windows you have.
Chris thank,s for 1 more "how to or not to".Read Your msg. Been fishing most of the day,so will reply tmrw.
Thank,s once again for Your msg.
Jack.
kurabess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:52 PM   #7
Kertison

Duplicate Files Deleter is a simple, but effective tool to locate duplicate files in one or more selected search paths. It scans the files and compares them based on Byte for Byte Comparison, which ensures 100% accuracy. You can then choose to delete the selected duplicate or original files. The program is multi-threaded and performs scans quickly.
Kertison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:03 AM   #8
Ericmopar

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonachris View Post

X2. Ccleaner is the only thing I have ever used that doesn't sometimes cause problems.

Duplicate files is really a mine field. Some might be backups for something/s...

I'll give you a Railworks example right now. The add on packs usually have their own coupler folders for the included rolling stock, but the couplers are the same files usually and same folder names as the default (2012) files.
The one exception for American rolling stock is the new Sherman Hill couplers, but even then the Type-E designation still holds true, even though the physics and textures are different.

Last edited by Ericmopar: 11-18-2012 at 02:08 AM.
Ericmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:58 AM   #9
Clemmo47

I use C Cleaner regularly plus a Clean Assets batch file and the junk remover from UKTS. I don't see any duplicates. Also I sometimes use RW-Tools to clear out any zero byte files.

http://www.uktrainsim.com/filelib-in...m_fileid=29859

Last edited by Clemmo47: 11-18-2012 at 04:39 AM.
Clemmo47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RailWorks