Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Binding of Isaac, The

Old 06-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #1
SavageTech

BUG FIX for Ending 12 + Challenge 10 not unlocking! (video + text)

It's so surprisingly easy that I can't believe the devs haven't fixed it yet. You'll need to download ".sol Editor" here before getting started.

Video with my super suave voice (and totally awkward narration) here, BORING TEXT DIRECTIONS FOR NERDS BELOW:

(directory examples are for Win7 only)
1) You need to find "so.sol" on your computer; if you know where to find this file go to step 6.
2) Navigate to "C:\Users\{your user name}\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects"
3) You should see a folder with 8 random numbers/letters for a name. If so, skip to step 5.
4) If you don't see a folder inside of #SharedObjects, run The Binding of Isaac. Once a folder appears, close the game.
5) Go into the randomly-named folder, then the "localhost" folder. You'll see a file called "so.sol"
6) Make a backup of "so.sol" and place it in a DIFFERENT folder. Your backup is not safe unless you move it outside of the AppData folder.
7) Double-click so.sol to open it; if you get a windows dialog asking you to choose a program, find .sol Editor and select it. Or, open .sol Editor and navigate to the directory where you found "so.sol".
8) Scroll to the top of the left pane in .sol Editor. You'll see an entry called "icer" with an icon next to it. If this icon is a calculator go to step 12; if the icon is a box or another icon, go to step 9.
9) Right click "icer" and select remove.
10) Scroll back to the top of the left pane, right click the "so" entry with a yellow box icon, hover over the "Add" option, and select "Number" (the one with the calculator next to it)
11) Scroll to the bottom of the pane to find an entry called "New Item". Left click it, then find the box in the right pane labelled "Name". Rename "New Item" to "icer" and change the "Value" box from 0 to 1. Go to step 13.
12) Left click the "icer" entry to select it. When you do, you're likely to encounter an error message in French. Click OK to get rid of it, and find the "Value" box in the right pane. Change "Value" from "NAN" to "1".
13) Whichever method you used, you should now have an entry called "icer" with a calculator icon and "1" for its value. Once you do, save your changes and exit .sol Editor.
14) Now we need to find "serial.txt". If you know where to find it, skip to step 16.
15) Navigate to "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\the binding of isaac" [for a 64-bit OS, replace "Program Files" with "Program Files (x86)"]
16) Create a backup of "serial.txt", then delete the original copy.
17) Start the game. You should now be able to access ending 12 and challenge 10.

That's all there is to it. I can't guarantee how long this fix will work because the game seems to be writing bad data to the save file, but I haven't had any issues with it yet. Even if it does get overwritten, it's an easy fix. Hope that helped

If you like Binding of Isaac Let's Plays, consider subscribing to my Youtube channel, I'm working on a couple that I'll be uploading soon.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:24 PM   #2
Phoenix210

I can confirm this works. I can now play challenge 10 and see ending 12. Achievements I got earlier unlocked finally and I have no items lost nor are my stats different.

+ rep. Good work, man.
Phoenix210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
Corpse Factory

Excellent work finding this. I should finally be able to play the Purist now.
Corpse Factory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
Anotherbum

Thanks for finding this. I can finally play the last challenge.
Anotherbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
Egg Yolkeo

Could it be that this works only if your so.sol hasn't been deleted previously?
After I deleted my serial.txt my stats and unlocks were reset to zero but only changing the icer value to 1 (I had the calculator and NAN entry) and using my 'old' serial the Purist and the 12th Ending are finally unlocked.

Anyway, noice work,gonna try to finish 'The Purist' now,see what happens.
Egg Yolkeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:24 PM   #6
Lital

Worked somewhat for me with some tweaking to your methods.

I already had ending 12 and the purist available to me, but several of my secret unlock messages were broken. As I discovered previously (and posted about in the bug thread) deleting so.sol would generate a new one out of my serial.txt, fixing my missing unlock messages (screwing up the ordering on them, but that's not such a fuss for me) but killing ending 12 and challenge 10.

If anyone is still having missing unlock messages try the following fix (remember to backup every file you change as a precaution):
1. Find your so.sol file as mentioned in the first post and move/delete it.
2. Run the game so a new one will be generated, then close the game.
3. Follow steps 7 through 13 of the first post.
4. Run the game and everything should be in order.

Unrelated but, the random vulgarities in the .sol file made me laugh.
+rep for figuring out it was icer, I had dabbled in the file beforehand to no result.

Also, the value for my icer file in my working ending 12 .sol was 7, so I set the value to 7 in my new file as well. It works for me, so I'm not asking questions.

Last edited by Lital: 06-14-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Lital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #7
-SoniXX-

Really nice!! It worked for me! Thanks to OP and Lital + rep!
-SoniXX- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:35 PM   #8
Yakkuz

NICE FIND! Thanks!

I found that the value for the "icer" entry affect the polaroid thing.

With a value from 1 to 5 you have the starting screen with 1 piece to full (5)picture of Isaac with his family.

I assume the value will vary from 0 to 7, depending on how many char you finished the cathedral.

Thanks again!
Yakkuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #9
Lital

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakkuz View Post
NICE FIND! Thanks!

With a value from 1 to 5 you have the starting screen with 1 piece to full (5)picture of Isaac with his family.

I assume the value will vary from 0 to 7, depending on how many char you finished the cathedral.

Thanks again!
That would stand to make sense.

In other news not only are my previous secret 'cards' now there, but new ones are popping up on screen again, as I just finished challenge 9.
Lital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:28 PM   #10
Fade Guy

Bravo sir, it worked wonderfully.
Fade Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:23 PM   #11
Archmage MC

I did this fix, however now secrets wont pop up anymore or appear in the secrets area but my counter will go up. If I delete the so.soi file, I'll have challenge 10 and ending 12 locked again, but all the secrets I've obtained will be shown to me again. Anyway to get both?
Archmage MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:25 PM   #12
evstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archmage MC View Post
I did this fix, however now secrets wont pop up anymore or appear in the secrets area but my counter will go up. If I delete the so.soi file, I'll have challenge 10 and ending 12 locked again, but all the secrets I've obtained will be shown to me again. Anyway to get both?
Yes. Do exactly what Lital said.
evstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:46 PM   #13
trojanpooh

Thank you so much, this had been bugging me ever since 1.2 locked me out of The Purist. Of course that means I actually need to do it now. Not looking forward to that...
trojanpooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:08 AM   #14
redjarman

Holy crap, thank you so much for this. Works perfectly!
redjarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:39 AM   #15
weaklemondrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakkuz View Post
NICE FIND! Thanks!

Thanks again!
Ok, so say I've already completed the game with all the characters and beaten the final boss with the Polaroid so I have 'The End' title screen, I would want to set the value to 7? Is that correct?

Amazing find, OP. Very much appreciated.
weaklemondrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Binding of Isaac, The