Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 06-15-2012, 04:41 AM   #1
killkhan

What happened to steam?

After using steam for years and years, and being a big fan, I'm starting to lose patience.

In the last couple of months I've had nothing but issues with it.

Having to reboot my PC if I don't log into steam the moment I bootup my PC. So basically, if I wait 30mins after booting up my PC, and then try and start steam, nothing happens, I litteraly have to reboot my PC and then it works.

Constantly getting the error "steam not installed properly, please reisntall". I've tried lot's of fixes for this and nothing works. I tried reinstalling (yes, a lot of redownloading) steam.

Some games no longer start unless I restart steam.

Some games tell me they need to be installed on steam for me to play them (obviously they're installed).

I can't remember everything off the top of my head but there are a few other issues I'm noticing which has left me wondering; What the hell has happened to steam?

Now I have to reboot so I can't start steam up again...

Edit - I just got another error which I haven't seen before when starting up steam.

Last edited by killkhan: 06-15-2012 at 04:45 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:46 AM   #2
kvaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by killkhan View Post
After using steam for years and years, and being a big fan, I'm starting to lose patience.

Having to reboot my PC if I don't log into steam the moment I bootup my PC. So basically, if I wait 30mins after booting up my PC, and then try and start steam, nothing happens, I litteraly have to reboot my PC and then it works.

Constantly getting the error "steam not installed properly, please reisntall". I've tried lot's of fixes for this and nothing works. I tried reinstalling (yes, a lot of redownloading) steam.

Some games tell me they need to be installed on steam for me to play them (obviously they're installed).

I got a new error when trying to start up steam just now (can't remember what exactly)

I can't remember everything off the top of my head but there are a few other issues I'm noticing which has left me wondering; What the hell has happened to steam?

u talking like steam got problems ? its ur pc on or corupt steam client

from almost 6 milions acounts i bet all lerned what to do to fix it hf good pc or ur internet for me all works better then great

go to steam folder and delete ClientRegistry.blob so he will redownload it and i hope ur steam will be fine HF

btw trying to search good solution before making new thread
kvaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:46 AM   #3
verolom2012

98% probability that the problem is in your end. Something with your PC software. Steam is fine.
verolom2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:51 AM   #4
killkhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvaker View Post

from almost 6 milions acounts i bet all lerned what to do to fix it hf good pc or ur internet for me all works better then great

go to steam folder and delete ClientRegistry.blob so he will redownload it and i hope ur steam will be fine HF
Well gosh, you make it sound so simple and go on to presume that I haven't tried, or looked into fixes for my problems! As I said before I've tried reinstalling and starting from scratch but it didn't seem to work and I really don't want to do all that again, for nothing.

Thanks for the info but stop presuming so much, it's annoying.

Last edited by killkhan: 06-15-2012 at 04:54 AM.
killkhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:52 AM   #5
killkhan

Could switching from a 32 to 64bit os have done anything?

When I think about it it could well have been around the same time that I changed my os. Just a wild guess though.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:58 AM   #6
tacc

How about doing a nice fresh installation of windows?
tacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:59 AM   #7
FuuKuy

Quote:

Edit - I just got another error which I haven't seen before when starting up steam.

Something is messed up on your computer. Format now!
FuuKuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:30 AM   #8
Kidofthecentury

Hmm, Win7 64 bit user here... some questions:
  • Do your Steam client starts automatically with Windows?
    • If yes, do you find the Steam icon in the systray?
      • If no, have you seen if Steam is running in the Task Manager?

Once in a while, when I boot up my PC I can't find Steam anywhere. I've to bring up the TM, kill the apparently running Steam*32.exe process then re-launch the application manually. And everything goes fine.
It usually happens when I start my pc a bit before my router...
Kidofthecentury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:14 AM   #9
gxs

Quote:
Could switching from a 32 to 64bit os have done anything?

When I think about it it could well have been around the same time that I changed my os. Just a wild guess though.
Did you upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit? If yes then this is your problem. Microsoft advises against that as do I if it helps tip the balance. Reinstall your OS and see if it helps.

Last edited by gxs: 06-15-2012 at 06:54 AM.
gxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:18 AM   #10
minogusti

Quote:

Do you have steam to run when you start windows? I've had some issues with that option, and had to change it.
Also, as it has been said, I'd recommend a fresh windows installation.
minogusti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:12 AM   #11
killkhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gxs View Post
Did you upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit? If yes then this is your problem. Microsoft advises against that as do I if it helps tip the balance. Reinstall your OS and see if it helps.
It was a clean install with a new HD.

Thanks for the replies. I think I may have to reinstall the OS.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:00 AM   #12
Ghost416

Quote:
Originally Posted by verolom2012 View Post
98% probability that the problem is in your end. Something with your PC software. Steam is fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvaker View Post

btw trying to search good solution before making new thread
I don't think it's his PC, I had most of these problems also, even after a fresh install of windows.

But it's been a while since I got these problems. Except usually I have to restart steam to be able to play a game.
Ghost416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:07 PM   #13
northreign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost416 View Post
I don't think it's his PC, I had most of these problems also, even after a fresh install of windows.
I'm inclined to believe it is his PC.

If a fresh install of Windows doesn't fix it, then there is also a chance of a hardware problem.

Hardware problem encompass HDD corruption, internet connection problems, etc. Many problems that can appear to be software related.

But if you do a brand new clean install and things so go wacky within a few weeks there's a good chance its hardware related.

That's assuming no drivers, programs are causing the issue.

That's something the user of the PC has to figure out.

This person has too many wacky problems going on so its a higher chance of being their PC.

Adding that on top of that this is a forum for problems so its not surprising that more than one person has/had the issue.

Last edited by northreign: 06-15-2012 at 12:09 PM.
northreign is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips