Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > VAC Discussion

Old 06-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
Bird Of PrAy

Valve ignores direct questions

I am no more important that any other gamer of any age, but for the record I am a 55 years old, and have been a business owner for 28 years.

For the last four years and over 5000 hour of game play I have written Valve concerning numerous subjects, most recently about possible cheating. I ask all my questions in a mature and civilized manner. When I asked specific questions about a gamer who seemed to be cheating to gain thousands of duel wins, Valve said that they will, "look in to it", but no obvious action is taken against the gamer.

I ask again and was told that no information could be given about another gamers account or what Valve is doing about it. I understand this, but my particular line of questioning was the result of watching a gamer who's profile shows 501 hours played in a two week period and also shows an increase of 4000+ duel wins in the same period. (For the record I have less than 60 duel wins to my credit, so this has nothing to do with me.) Since there are only 336 hours in a two week period, I asked how having this many hours would be possible without cheating. (I spend the majority of my time in TF2 as admin of trade servers where I attempt to educate gamers about different aspects of TF2, while keeping the server safe and fun to play in.) I was attempting to force Valve to prove they are actually attempting to provide a place to play fairly, and not just paying a group of people in a "HELP" center to occasionally ban someone for appearance sake.

Since I could not ask about another persons account, I then ask a generic question. "Could you tell me how I may obtain 500 hours of play time in a two-week period without cheating?" I also asked: "How can get over 4000 duel wins in a two-week period when 10 minutes are required between each duel and in a two week period there are only 2016, 10-minute periods within a two-week period if every duel was won instantly?" I did not really want to know how to cheat the system, but again I am attempting to force Valve to give a straight answer. Valve again avoided answering my questions and directed me to this forum for answers.

I understand this is just a game and if the lights go out, having a huge backpack with the most rare items or the highest duel count will mean nothing, but I like to stand up for what is right. "The best way for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing." I live by that statement. I understood that this forum is just for discussion of issues by TF2 gamers, but Valve/Steam passed me off to it like it was the OFFICIAL place to get legally binding answers to my questions. I think not, but Valve avoids my questions.

TF2 is only a game, but if Valve wants to claim they do not tolerate cheaters, then why not answer my questions? The questions I mention above are just sample of what I have asked in the past. There is no reason for competition if it is not fair. A young kid once came to a server I admin in and asked me to ban him from playing for a week because he felt he deserved punishment for using a cheat to get all his achievements. I did not ban him, but I wish Valve had a conscious like that kid did. I would appreciate your responses since Valve refuses to give one. Thank you. God bless. [toj.cc] Bird Of PrAy

Last edited by Bird Of PrAy: 06-17-2012 at 02:37 PM. Reason: to clarify and correct spelling
Old 06-17-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
MST3K

This does seem to be a common theme among complaints. I myself have only had to contact Valve support one time.

I was told that I had contacted the wrong department for my question. To my knowledge Valve only has 1 support section with 2 options: Game and Steam, so I was pretty sure I had it right. When I asked who I would have to contact to resolve my issue, my ticket was closed...Sooo from my experience, yes, I'd agree that they do seem to avoid questions from time to time.

Also, please use paragraphs next time you post something this long. The SUF has very close text and it makes it a bit easier on the eyes to break it up a bit.
MST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
Tito Shivan

First of all, nice wall-of-text out there. Wouldn't hurt to give it a bit of format.
Second, duel farming is in no shape or form a VAC offense, and Valve neither disclose information about VAC nor issue bans due to reports.
Valve won't tell you either how to cheat the system, which seems the answer you are requiring from Valve.

Last edited by Tito Shivan: 06-17-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Tito Shivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
Amy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird Of PrAy View Post
I am no more important that any other gamer of any age, but for the record I am a 55 year sold, and have been a business owner for 28 years.

For the last four years and over 5000 hour of game play I have written Valve concerning numerous subjects, most recently about possible cheating. I ask all my questions in a mature and civilized manner.

When I asked specific questions about a gamer who seemed to be cheating to gain thousands of duel wins, Valve said that they will, "look in to it", but no obvious action is taken against the gamer. When I ask again I am told that no information can be given about another gamers account or what Valve is doing about it. This particular line of questioning is the result of watching a gamer whos profile shows 501 hours played in a two week period and also shows an increase of 4000+ duel wins in the same period. (For the record I have less than 60 duel wins to my credit, so this has nothing to do with me.)

Since there are only 336 hours in a two week period, I asked how having this many hours would be possible without cheating. (I spend the majority of my time in TF2 as admin of trade servers where I attempt to educate gamers about different aspects of TF2, while keeping the server safe and fun to play in.) I then ask a generic question such as: "Could you tell me how I may obtain 500 hours of play time in a two-week period without cheating?"

I also asked: "How can get over 4000 duel wins in a two-week period when 10 minutes are required between each duel and in a two week period there are only 2016, 10-minute periods within a two-week period if every duel was won instantly?"

Valve again avoids nswering my question and directs me to this forum for answers. I understood that this forum is just for discussion of issues by TF2 gamers, or is it the OFFICIAL place to get legally binding answers to my question.

I think not, but Valve avoids my questions. TF2 is only a game, but if Valve wants to claim they do not tolorate cheaters, then why not answer my questions?

The question I mention above are just sample of what I have asked in the past. I would appreciate your response since Valve refuses to give one. Thank you. God bless. Bird Of PrAy

Press "Enter" sometimes, magic happen.

Also VALVe won't answer direct question about cheating, exactly to avoi more cheat. They have NDA, they need to respect it.
Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
Bird Of PrAy

MST3K,
Thanks for the advice on breaking up the text into paragraphs. It would have been easier on my old eyes while typing it to. This is my first post here and I appreciate any advice I receive.

Valve "appears" to respond differently when a question has to do with money they make or do not make. On more than one occasion I have submitted several different questions on the same day to Steam/Valve on several subjects. The questions concerning purchase problems of Valve or Steam items or games are answered within 24 hours, the rest take 3 to 5 days. This pattern indicates they care far more for money than anything else. Their non-responsivness to my direct questions lends me only to believe that they really care nothing about cheating or anything else other than their "bottom line".

I hope this thread will generate responses to questions Valve refuses to answer. I enjoy a good discussion and most enjoy my time in TF2 talking to people around the world in voice chat and learning of their ideas and viewpoints on different subjects. I wish you the best in life. God bless. Bird Of PrAy PS. For the record, I love watching MST3K and Tom Servo if my favorite!

Last edited by Bird Of PrAy: 06-17-2012 at 03:37 PM. Reason: removed the "political" comment :)
Bird Of PrAy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
Zefar

Volunteer Moderator
Good luck, as even we Moderators have a hard time getting answers regarding VAC or if something gets people banned or not. Valve like to keep such things secret. Very secret that is.

Btw don't bring in Politics here. It has no place on this forum and it's against the rules. It's to prevent lots of arguing which often results in flame war.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:25 PM   #7
Bird Of PrAy

Not really looking for cheats, just answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito Shivan View Post
First of all, nice wall-of-text out there. Wouldn't hurt to give it a bit of format.
Second, duel farming is in no shape or form a VAC offense, and Valve neither disclose information about VAC nor issue bans due to reports.
Valve won't tell you either how to cheat the system, which seems the answer you are requiring from Valve.
Thank you Tito,
I went back and re-edited my post to make it more readable. I of course was not looking for answers to how to cheat, but more so attempting to force Valve to prove they are actually treating everyone in an equal and fair manner by applying the rules they say we should follow to everyone equally. Just fighting for the little guy. Bird Of PrAy.

Quote: "I will battle a dragon with a toothpick with the hope of poking out his eyes when he bends down to eat me."
Old 06-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #8
Bird Of PrAy

Politics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zefar View Post
Good luck, as even we Moderators have a hard time getting answers regarding VAC or if something gets people banned or not. Valve like to keep such things secret. Very secret that is.

Btw don't bring in Politics here. It has no place on this forum and it's against the rules. It's to prevent lots of arguing which often results in flame war.
Politics? Please let me know what you refer to and I will edit my post. I do not want to cause any problems, only discussion. Thank you. Bird
Old 06-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
Zefar

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Politics? Please let me know what you refer to and I will edit my post. I do not want to cause any problems, only discussion. Thank you. Bird
Last part about which Politician you're voting for. There might be haters out there for that guy and might just start an argument because you pick him.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #10
Bird Of PrAy

Zefar, I am brand new to this forum. As an admin of 10 servers I can appreciate the work you put into keeping everything running smoothly. I would appreciate some help on two issues.

1. How do I send you a private message so it will not appear I am arguing with you in the forum?

2. I have read the rules and I have re-read my post both before and after I edited ithem, and I see nothing bout politics or mymention of voting for anyone. Please quote the text you are referring to and I will edit it out. Thank you. Bird Of PrAy
Old 06-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #11
Tito Shivan

Quote:
Thank you Tito,
I went back and re-edited my post to make it more readable. I of course was not looking for answers to how to cheat, but more so attempting to force Valve to prove they are actually treating everyone in an equal and fair manner by applying the rules they say we should follow to everyone equally. Just fighting for the little guy. Bird Of PrAy.

Quote: "I will battle a dragon with a toothpick with the hope of poking out his eyes when he bends down to eat me."
I know you are looking for answers, but from steam perspective, those questions won't get an answer because they adress ways of exploiting the system (it's not really a cheat, farming duels) and second, they cannot believe in the good will of the people asking for that info (You, or I, could be a cheater asking for measures to circunvent the system)

Good luck on your fight against dragons (Many of us fight it in some way or another) But sometimes, to fight the dragon, you need to get into his lair (I mean, sometimes, the best way of know a cheater, is to ask one...)

But back to topic; yes, there are 'ways' to make your play time get fat, and ways of farming duels pretty fast. Don't know the details, but there are ways...
Tito Shivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #12
Zefar

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
I hope this thread will generate responses to questions Valve refuses to answer. I enjoy a good discussion and most enjoy my time in TF2 talking to people around the world in voice chat and learning of their ideas and viewpoints on different subjects. I wish you the best in life. God bless. Bird Of PrAy PS. For the record, I am voting for Tom Servo for PRESIDENT!
That bolded line. I see them as politician.
Quote:
Zefar, I am brand new to this forum. As an admin of 10 servers I can appreciate the work you put into keeping everything running smoothly. I would appreciate some help on two issues.

1. How do I send you a private message so it will not appear I am arguing with you in the forum?

2. I have read the rules and I have re-read my post both before and after I edited ithem, and I see nothing bout politics or mymention of voting for anyone. Please quote the text you are referring to and I will edit it out. Thank you. Bird Of PrAy
1: No need, since no one is gonna infraction you for this. Otherwise to PM users you can click on their name and some options appear.
While there is a rule for openly argue with a Moderator that is about when you've gotten an infraction and then make a thread about it. But that isn't the case here.

2: Rules *Religious, political, and other “prone to huge arguments” threads
It's the last one on the list.

I'm just saying you shouldn't post who you're voting for as a President. Don't think of me as hardcore Moderator around here. As I'm not.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:31 PM   #13
Bird Of PrAy

I did not really expect them to answer with detailed instructions on how to cheat, nor I did not really want them to tell me how to cheat. I just wanted them to admit there was no way of getting 500+ hours and 4000 duel wins in a two week period without cheating so I could get them to paint themselves into a corner with no way out but to do something about the situation. If a person is in a locked room with a body on the floor and a smoking gun in his hand, someone needs to at least ask some questions. Valve "appears" to look the other way as long as they make money from selling the ammunition.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #14
DoubleD

Volunteer Moderator
2: Rules *Religious, political, and other “prone to huge arguments” threads

Same rules that apply to most forums.

And Pubs.

Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose..
DoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #15
MartinKhan

Banned
Quote:
I did not really expect them to answer with detailed instructions on how to cheat, nor I did not really want them to tell me how to cheat. I just wanted them to admit there was no way of getting 500+ hours and 4000 duel wins in a two week period without cheating so I could get them to paint themselves into a corner with no way out but to do something about the situation. If a person is in a locked room with a body on the floor and a smoking gun in his hand, someone needs to at least ask some questions. Valve "appears" to look the other way as long as they make money from selling the ammunition.
Even when it "appears" they're looking the other way, they're not. They can't answer you things related to VAC because, even when you might have good intentions, they can't be 100% sure. So they prefer to keep the info for themselves. Also, as you may know, VAC has a delayed ban system, which is better against cheaters than most 'instaban' AC programs; that's because the delayed ban causes the cheaters to be unsure about what cheat triggered the VAC. Also, when you report a suspicious player, they will surely look into it; however, they won't tell you as, again, they prefer to keep the info for themselves (because someone might report an innocent person only because they're angry or something).

Now, as for your problem, I can see why you're concerned about it, since the player you mention is abusing the system. Well, I'm 99% sure that if VALVE gets the evidence, they'll surely take action, just like in the last Holiday Sale, where they could detect coal hoarders.
MartinKhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > VAC Discussion