Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Steam

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 06-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
Campash

Steam needs to be online to update...

http://i.imgur.com/lKAz3.png

I just got the new mac book air and installed steam. When I try openingit I get an error saying "Steam needs to b online to update. Please confirm your network connection and try again."

I recently bought the older mac book air and installed steam with no problems. I also have a pc desktop that has steam and runs it fine. But now I can't get it to work on the new laptop. I am not that great with computers so any help would be appreciated. Thanks a ton!

After originally posting this I found the solution which can be found here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...&postcount=246

It worked for a bit and I was able to get onto steam. I then got into TF2 but it couldn't find any of my items or stats. Then it wouldn't work again.

Help please?

Here is my model:
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...ook_air/select
Old 06-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
Campash

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...ly/macbook_air
Campash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:24 PM   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #3
JoeR

Valve
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campash View Post
It worked for a bit and I was able to get onto steam. I then got into TF2 but it couldn't find any of my items or stats. Then it wouldn't work again.

Help please?
I'm going to hijack this thread instead of making a sticky. Mostly because I'm looking for people who are actively reading the forum, and I only want to ask one favor.

The 'steam must be online to update' is beyond frustrating as it's way to common, and does not reproduce for any of us internally.

If anyone reading this currently has this problem, and feels technically savvy enough to run wireshark, I would appreciate some help. I will append instructions for grabbing a capture of the network during steam startup. If you feel comfortable generating a capture log, please mail it to JoeR @ Valvesoftware.com, I would really appreciate it. Depending on what I see I may ask followup questions, so if you could send it from an email address you actually monitor - even better.

Thanks!

Quote:
If possible, make sure you're not running a web browser (Safari, Chrome, etc.) while performing these steps - any web traffic to/from your machine will be included in the capture.

1. download and install wireshark: http://www.wireshark.org/download.html
2. without steam running, launch wireshark
3. click the interface list button (the far left) and identify the interface you're using to connect to the internet - this is typically the one with the highest packet count after a few seconds. if after looking at this dialog for a few moments, you're not sure perform the rest of these steps for each interface you may be connecting through.
4. click the "capture options" button - the network card with the wrench
5. from the interface drop-down, select the interface your mac is connected to the internet through - likely en0 or en1
6. uncheck promiscuous mode
7. press "start"
8. launch steam
9. once you get the "must be online to update" error, return to wireshark
10. press "stop the running live capture" (the network card with the red X)
11. file->save make sure "file type" is "Wireshark/tcpdump/... - libpcap", click "Desktop"
12. locate the file on your desktop, right click on it and choose "compress..."
13. attach the resulting zip to an email to me.
14. quit steam and wireshark

Once you've done that, as a second test, open Terminal (in /Applications/Utilities) and type

rm ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/.crash

If you see:

rm: ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/.crash: No such file or directory

You're done.

If you see no output from the command, try launching steam again and let me know if that changes behavior.
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:08 AM   #4
Symmetric

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeR View Post
The 'steam must be online to update' is beyond frustrating as it's way to common, and does not reproduce for any of us internally.
The only only times I've been able to reproduce it is when I'm on a slow connection. When I'm at home or on a reliable connection anywhere else, it's never failed.

When I'm on a slow connection (say, 1.5 Mbit or slower) or on a wi-fi network with poor signal, it happens more often.

I believe we may have gone over the possibility of there being some arbitrary timeout period a while ago, so I'm not sure if this really means much at all.
Symmetric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
MysticalOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symmetric View Post
The only only times I've been able to reproduce it is when I'm on a slow connection. When I'm at home or on a reliable connection anywhere else, it's never failed.

When I'm on a slow connection (say, 1.5 Mbit or slower) or on a wi-fi network with poor signal, it happens more often.

I believe we may have gone over the possibility of there being some arbitrary timeout period a while ago, so I'm not sure if this really means much at all.
Pretty much this. I'm on a 1M dsl connectoin and only 300kbps upload. Steam client to date has NEVER had a successful update. It will either start and stop somewhere along line and time out. Or Present this error, or just randomly start over. This happens if updating within both the UI inside client, or on client startup when it shows the OS X update window. I usually have to go through extraordinary means to find out where the current latest version files are online, download them manually through browser, place them, then let the app update itself. There just seems to be almost no tolerance for a slow connection. My connection is very stable and solid, i do not dc, or have dropped packets, latency is low and everything is smooth as butter, but speed. Speed is just very slow and steam doesn't like it.

In fact, it just failed again, on try number 4, completely stopped downloading right in middle of download and now doesn't even realize it's connected to internet. But internet is fine, the app just sucks. Time to see how long it takes to find out where these files are.

I cannot send you a traffic log at all because i cannot upload files over 1MB, period. Any prolonged upload immediately resets my connection/IP. This is a problem i'm aware my ISP has, although it doesn't seem related to download problem as my logs and connection haven't indicated any DCs during update process, there isn't enough upload traffic to cause that problem

Last edited by MysticalOS: 06-19-2012 at 10:52 AM.
MysticalOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
kybucki

I have been having this problem for months I have sent 35 tickets in and no one is helping me in anyway.

I am very computer illiterate & don't even understand how to do the wireshark thing.

I have tried every other suggestion that steam gives me & they don't work. Is there a customer service line I can call

Is there a very simple way to do this?

I have not been able to play any of my games for 6 months & this has been the worst customer service experience of my entire life!

To make matters worse I just bought Civilization 5 not realizing it would only work on steam so now I have another game I can't play!

Someone please help!
kybucki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
MysticalOS

http://media.steampowered.com/client...ller/steam.dmg
Download that and replace your current steam,a fter that update it should work better, not 100%, but better then it's working for you now.
MysticalOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:25 PM   #8
koolguru

I solved this problem by using a proxy
koolguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #9
love1ncg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalOS View Post
http://media.steampowered.com/client...ller/steam.dmg
Download that and replace your current steam,a fter that update it should work better, not 100%, but better then it's working for you now.
what's that? steam.dmg ?
love1ncg is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Steam