Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Left 4 Dead 2

Old 06-17-2012, 11:19 PM   #1
asdlkjd

Recording Gameplay & Steam voice chat: Is it possible!?

So me and my school mates were thinking, we have heaps of fun playing this awesome game and always use mics, and it would be great fun to capture every moment of it for one session, is it possible to record the audio from l4d2 & our voices at the same time while recording our screens too?

Thanks in advance~
Old 06-17-2012, 11:34 PM   #2
Diocletian

Of course. People do it all the time. Don't do it though. If you're kids from school, you'll probably just be really annoying to whoever you show it to.
Diocletian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:37 PM   #3
asdlkjd

we're all year 11s and want to do it for our pleasure not anyone elses... idiot
asdlkjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:43 PM   #4
Diocletian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdlkjd View Post
That's good to hear. Keep it there. Thanks.
Diocletian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:44 PM   #5
L_A

Yup, it's quite possible.

Depends on what software you're using for the recording. I don't know much about Fraps, but I believe it's automatic there. I recommend you use this program if your computer can handle it, will be less of a pain.

But if you use the 'record' command in the console, you also need to set 'voice_loopback' on 1 ('voice_loopback 1' in the console), so you can also record your own voice (otherwise, it won't record it, only your friends'). It also means you'll hear yourself in the mic while you play, but that's the only way to record your own voice using the Source recorder.
L_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:50 PM   #6
asdlkjd

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_A View Post
Yup, it's quite possible.

Depends on what software you're using for the recording. I don't know much about Fraps, but I believe it's automatic there. I recommend you use this program if your computer can handle it, will be less of a pain.

But if you use the 'record' command in the console, you also need to set 'voice_loopback' on 1 ('voice_loopback 1' in the console), so you can also record your own voice (otherwise, it won't record it, only your friends'). It also means you'll hear yourself in the mic while you play, but that's the only way to record your own voice using the Source recorder.
very helpful +rep =)
asdlkjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
Lemmers

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_A View Post
if you use the 'record' command in the console, you also need to set 'voice_loopback' on 1 ('voice_loopback 1' in the console), so you can also record your own voice (otherwise, it won't record it, only your friends'). It also means you'll hear yourself in the mic while you play, but that's the only way to record your own voice using the Source recorder.
Protip: You can mute yourself using voice_mute # after you enable voice_loopback 1, you just need to find your player number in the server by using status. If you use voice_show_mute it will show the other players in the server, but not yourself. You will have to remute yourself every time you relaunch L4D2 though.

I have voice_loopback 1 set in my autoexec.cfg so I know it's always enabled. Then, I just mute myself from console anytime I can hear myself talking. This gives you a demo with all four voices in it. Just remember, if you mute yourself AFTER you start recording the demo, that action of self-muting will be in the demo. So if you can't hear yourself in the demo, type in voice_unmute all.

You can also mute and unmute people when replaying the demo of a game. All muted voice streams are saved to the file, which is why you can mute yourself and still have it saved for later. But that means you can also mute somebody in a demo if they are spamming music over something you want to show. Or you can use it to isolate voice streams for editing purposes.

Just remember that demo files are broken from game updates, so unless you export clips from your demos right away, you'll have to learn how to backup game files, which is an entirely different discussion and much more painful to do.

I know I can't run FRAPS for every single game I play, yet I can record a small demo file of every game so, if after hours and hours of playing anything does happen, I'll have it.
Lemmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:44 PM   #8
POLICEMATRIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdlkjd View Post
hahaha yeah there is a thread on how to do this here
and if you do that dont you here your own voice on an echo , for me i just set up a recorder to record my voice and add it later to the video

Last edited by POLICEMATRIX: 06-18-2012 at 11:47 PM.
POLICEMATRIX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Left 4 Dead 2