Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Quantum Conundrum

Old 06-21-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
LonelyCheeyto

[Help] Anti-Aliasing

Is there any way to turn anti-aliasing on through engine configs and such? The edges are horrible and really ruin the game.

I've tried

bAllowd3d9MSAA=True

but every time I do the game will crash on start-up. I assume that means Direct3D DirectX 9 MSAA but I'm not sure. Does anyone know of a solution?
Old 06-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
killercow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyCheeyto View Post
Is there any way to turn anti-aliasing on through engine configs and such? The edges are horrible and really ruin the game.

I've tried

bAllowd3d9MSAA=True

but every time I do the game will crash on start-up. I assume that means Direct3D DirectX 9 MSAA but I'm not sure. Does anyone know of a solution?
Well you can force it through nvidia's control panel, don't know about catalyst though.
killercow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #3
scatman839

Works fine forcing it through catalyst as well.
scatman839 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
massassi

Forcing AA through nvidia still appears very jagged, even at 32x (although there is some improvement). Forcing FXAA causes the game to crash on level load.

I'm also kinda jarateed max res is 1920... I'm kind of considering asking for a refund, as silly as that is. The game doesn't support my native res... am I supposed to just play a blurry game? I'm sad.
massassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:02 PM   #5
homernoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by massassi View Post
Forcing AA through nvidia still appears very jagged, even at 32x (although there is some improvement). Forcing FXAA causes the game to crash on level load.

I'm also kinda jarateed max res is 1920... I'm kind of considering asking for a refund, as silly as that is. The game doesn't support my native res... am I supposed to just play a blurry game? I'm sad.
There are others on these forums that used the ini files to get high resolutions. As far as the anti-aliasing goes, I found a slightly annoying but very nice work around. Just before you start the game, enable FXAA in your global settings and it really works well. When done playing disable it.

It's a pain I know, but it works quite well.
homernoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
NAG3LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by homernoy View Post
There are others on these forums that used the ini files to get high resolutions. As far as the anti-aliasing goes, I found a slightly annoying but very nice work around. Just before you start the game, enable FXAA in your global settings and it really works well. When done playing disable it.

It's a pain I know, but it works quite well.
If you want to use FXAA in QC, there is a more convenient way, by using program settings tab.

Near the global settings, switch to program settings. There press add and find folder Steam root dir\steamapps\common\Quantum Conundrum\Binaries\Win32, and select TryGame-Win32-Shipping.exe. With it selected in programs list, just change FXAA setting to On, and it will be enabled in that game, without affecting other games or programs.
NAG3LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:32 PM   #7
massassi

Ah ha! Thank you. And it seems there's some multisampling options in the TryEngine.ini as well. Running at full res and with smooth edges.

I don't mind messing around with settings, but it just felt like I was dead in the water as nothing was working.
massassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:41 AM   #8
DrLemur

Alright, so I'm a huge noob both to gaming and Windows 7.. Where do I find these global settings and program settings in order to make changes? Lack of anti-aliasing is really ruining the game for me too. They really should have sorted this crap out before release.. Seriously.
DrLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:50 AM   #9
goofkop

Quote:
Originally Posted by massassi View Post
Ah ha! Thank you. And it seems there's some multisampling options in the TryEngine.ini as well. Running at full res and with smooth edges.

I don't mind messing around with settings, but it just felt like I was dead in the water as nothing was working.
What did you adjust, please enlighten us!
goofkop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #10
Varstahl

Lightbulb

I've looked into this myself, as I wasn't pleased at all by what I initially saw. I bought a GTX 670 a few days ago and the game looked horrible. So...

This is the file that contains most settings you're gonna need: %USERPROFILE%\Documents\My Games\UnrealEngine3\TryGame\Config\TryEngine.ini

Code:
[SystemSettings]
MotionBlur=False
AllowD3D11=True
MaxAnisotropy=16
MaxMultiSamples=4
ResX=1400
ResY=1050

[Engine.Engine]
bDisablePhysXHardwareSupport=False
After disabling motion blur I later left it intact, as I have seen that in order to speed up the texture loaded when moving are of lower quality, while giving max quality while observing around, which is quite smart.

I also allowed D3D11, set MaxMultiSamples to 4 (that's about antialias transparency) and MaxAnisotropy to 16 (textures quality in the distance). I also changed ResX and ResY to match the native resolution of my LCD Screen.

Also I noticed that PhysX support was disabled, probably because my 670 is too new and was not in the presets, so I enabled it manually.

Then, for good measure, I changed some settings in the NVidia Control Panel aswell (3D Settings > Program Settings > Add), the exe file needed being roughly \Steam\steamapps\common\Quantum Conundrum\Binaries\Win32\TryGame-Win32-Shipping.exe

Code:
Anisotropic filtering: 4x
Antialiasing - FXAA: On
Antialiasing - Mode: Override
Antialiasing - Setting: 4x
Antialiasing - Transparency: 4x (supersample)
Multi-display: Single display performance mode
Triple buffering: On
Vertical sync: On
I think that just like other games, even if settings are set as Override, some of them are ignored entirely by the application, anyway I matched the settings I put in the INI, with the addition of triple buffering, Single display performance mode and FXAA.

The games run much smoother now. The only thing I wasn't able to fix are the shadows projected to the walls, they're kind of jaggy, but I haven't looked deep enough in that, and not even sure I ever will.

Sure looks better now anyway.
Varstahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:02 PM   #11
DrLemur

Fantastic! Worked like a charm! Thank you so much for explaining! I find sometimes forums are filled with people who take it as read that everyone knows exactly what to do to manipulate files. This is my first time doing it. I agree with the other posters that this is ing ridiculous that the devs haven't included more graphics/video options within the game itself. An embarrassment. It's the video game developers equivalent of being caught driving without pants.
DrLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:57 AM   #12
goofkop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varstahl View Post
This is the file that contains most settings you're gonna need: %USERPROFILE%\Documents\My Games\UnrealEngine3\TryGame\Config\TryEngine.ini

Code:
[SystemSettings]
MotionBlur=False
AllowD3D11=True
MaxAnisotropy=16
MaxMultiSamples=4
ResX=1400
ResY=1050

[Engine.Engine]
bDisablePhysXHardwareSupport=False
Setting MaxMultiSamples anything above 1 crashes the game on startup for me.

Last edited by goofkop: 06-23-2012 at 11:21 AM.
goofkop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #13
saturnotaku

Quote:
I think that just like other games, even if settings are set as Override, some of them are ignored entirely by the application, anyway I matched the settings I put in the INI, with the addition of triple buffering, Single display performance mode and FXAA.
FYI, the triple buffer setting in the control panel only works for OpenGL games. It doesn't do anything for D3D.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #14
Varstahl

Didn't know that, good to know. Anyway QC actually can be rendered in OpenGL aswell. There's the flag somewhere in the ini, don't remember where but should be easy to find.
Varstahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #15
envirovore

Quote:
I've looked into this myself, as I wasn't pleased at all by what I initially saw.

<snip>

Sure looks better now anyway.
Works great, thanks for posting! Enjoy some rep.
I saw the OpenGL flag as well in the .ini, not sure where it is though either.
envirovore is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Quantum Conundrum