Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RailWorks

Old 06-22-2012, 08:31 AM   #1
Ragnokak

Railworks and Steam Workshop, Here's the Scoop

The next edition of the award-winning Train Simulator series will incorporate Steam Workshop, which allows players to download user-created content. The Steam Workshop functionality will be fully integrated into the game so players can view and choose user-generated content via a seamless interface.

“We’re thrilled to be adding this functionality as a result of our strong community and great relationship with Steam,” said Paul Jackson, CEO of RailSimulator.com. “A major feature of our game is the world editor, in which users may create new railroads and scenic settings from a blank canvas, and Steam Workshop opens up a new way of sharing content with other enthusiasts.”

Steam Workshop will make it easy to find, play and share certain types of custom content created by fans and amateur developers. Users can post reviews of uploaded items, enabling content creators to become stars in the community. Initially Train Simulator’s Steam workshop will contain game-play content adopting more features in the future.

Source:http://www.railsimulator.com/newsdetail.php?Ref=415
Old 06-22-2012, 09:25 AM   #2
SEASTKING

Does this mean we needn't rely on such things as UKTS to get most of our free downloads?
SEASTKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
ac_freeman

I suppose it really depends on how much stuff gets posted there - potentially this could be a great way for us to share scenarios etc., if it takes off it could be brilliant.
ac_freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
fozmcfc

I would imagine many people will stick to uploading to UKTS as they are loyal to the site and know that people buying memberships to download files, is what keeps it going strong.

Having said that I guess there will be nothing to stop people from downloading a scenario from UKTS then putting it in Steam Workshop for everyone else.

Many authors ask for their creations not to be put on any other website, so I guess it will also come down to whether people respect that.
fozmcfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
arizonachris

I'll have to see how this works out, as I am a loyal member and supporter at Railworks America's site. There file library is huge, and there's no fee ever. Download speeds are great, no waiting in line either. But, it is mainly North American stuff.

I'll stick with RWA.
arizonachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #6
HazySarkany

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonachris View Post
I'll have to see how this works out, as I am a loyal member and supporter at Railworks America's site. There file library is huge, and there's no fee ever. Download speeds are great, no waiting in line either. But, it is mainly North American stuff.

I'll stick with RWA.
Those sites won't go away because they're offering other services like specialized forums and a community.

I would think we'll end up with a lot of hybridization.
HazySarkany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #7
Ragnokak

There really is no way to tell what people will do in the future. All we can do is look at current games that use it and see how it affected them.

Civ 5 was the latest to receive the Workshop integration. Now there are a large number of websites that offer content for Civilization games. From what "I" can tell, it absolutely slowed down the amount of uploading those sites are seeing as their player/developers are uploading to Workshop instead (mind you I haven't conducted any type of scientific data collecting, just my perception). A simple sort by date of their content will show that aspect. However, it has not totally killed it. Some people like the security of staying with what they already know, afterall if it isn't broke...

From my 3+ years in this community one of the things I have learned is that people find it very difficult to change their behavior habits. Whether it be what view they play the sim with, the UI choice they prefer, or even how they will acquire their content and/or information.

Scientific America did some research a few years back in which they found that after our 20's people gradually become less and less open to change (again, it if ain't broke, don't fix it). However, when a person reaches around 60 that opens back up.

I think it is absolutely easy to tell that our community has a majority of it's players in the 30-60 range.

With that said the only way we are really going to know is by waiting to see how people respond. IMO, I think what we will find is that the older crowd will stick to using UKTS or RWA and the younger crowd will move to using Workshop. I think one of the main features that Workshop has that you don't find on UKTS or RWA is a rating system for content so that people will be able to let others know what content they really like or they really don't.
Ragnokak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #8
mouse101uk

Reskins with certain 'branding' or liveries might not be allowed on Steam Workshop to avoid legal permission issues. In that case the other sites will still serve a need.

Nick
mouse101uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #9
cilldroichid

Quote:
Originally Posted by fozmcfc View Post
Having said that I guess there will be nothing to stop people from downloading a scenario from UKTS then putting it in Steam Workshop for everyone else.

Many authors ask for their creations not to be put on any other website, so I guess it will also come down to whether people respect that.
I would hope that this Steam Workshop has a robust 'anti-piracy' policy and that anything uploaded has to have the original authors permission or at the very least be taken down once Steam Workshop is made aware of a situation where someting is uploaded against the authors wises.

As i have not used Steam Workshop yet i don't know if that is the situation. Does anybody that has used Steam Workshop know what their policy is regarding uploads and has there been any controversies yet with the games that use Steam Workshop about uploads without the authors permission.
cilldroichid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #10
fozmcfc

They will only know when there is a complaint surely.

Not sure copyright comes into it, when an individual produces something and puts it in the public domain.

I mean do you think someone would actually go to the bother to copyright a scenario they have created.

I have a UKTS account and have downloaded scenarios etc, but out of respect of the authors wishes I do not share it around. Not sure everyone else will think the same.
fozmcfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:24 PM   #11
cilldroichid

Quote:
I mean do you think someone would actually go to the bother to copyright a scenario they have created.
No i doubt that they would, they just won't upload their creations on any site if they think there is a danger of anything that they don't want to happen to their creation happening. Which is not good for anybody.
cilldroichid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #12
Clemmo47

Most repaints are about representing a default item with different livery or branding and whereas individuals can get away with it on freeware sites,Steam may have to obtain permission which would seriously limit the repaint assets available.
I see on RSC Facebook no repaint shots with non default liveries are allowed.
The Steam workshop may be the place for individuals without any particular loyalty to any site to show their scenarios for example.
Clemmo47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #13
Sceptr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEASTKING View Post
Does this mean we needn't rely on such things as UKTS to get most of our free downloads?
Good point, I find UKTS a brilliant site for finding interesting files, scenario's & fixes but it can be a nightmare trying to put those files together to get a working product.

If Steam & it's Workshop could have user-generated content that doesn't have to be installed by a player but through an update by Steam then i think that would be awesome.
Sceptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #14
FoggyMorning

Quote:
They will only know when there is a complaint surely.

Not sure copyright comes into it, when an individual produces something and puts it in the public domain.

I have a UKTS account and have downloaded scenarios etc, but out of respect of the authors wishes I do not share it around. Not sure everyone else will think the same.
Of course it is covered by both copyright and intellectual property laws. Just because something is made available for free doesn't mean you can do what you like with it.
FoggyMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:55 PM   #15
Hanse00

Id like to note, steam workshop is not more bound by copy right than any other website.

It'd be just a legal, or illegal, to upload reskins with copyrighed logos on other websites, people are just lucky enough to not get in trouble.

I doubt if steam would check though, I've used the workshop to upload maps for portal 2.
I'll definitely be uploading any scenarios or other work I make to the steam workshop, as it's easier to upload / download, and it's right there for anyone playing the game to find.
Hanse00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RailWorks