Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Old 06-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
LAROCK

Exclamation WARNING: Phishing Links are Being Spammed via Steam Groups!

SOURCE OF THE ARTICLE: http://www.tf2world.com/apps/blog/sh...phishing-links

If you do not appreciate this type of warning or Free Help, then move on to something else and have a great day

Hey guys,

This is a Warning message. For a while now, I’ve noticed an increase of Phishing Links (links that get your account Hijacked/Hacked upon clicking them) being spammed everywhere possible on Steam and Team Fortress 2 related websites or other platforms. But for the past few weeks they have been attacking various Steam Groups in particular.

Groups with 150 members or less seem to get more of these since it’s easier for the “Hacker” to send Chat Requests via the Groups Tab (next to Friends Tab) in the Steam Messenger client. Groups that have a large amount of members (usually over 150) do not seem to suffer as much from this problem.

The “Hacker” will join a Steam Group, and then simply start sending Chat Requests to every Member; most likely a Bot is being used because they seem to send those messages pretty fast. So you’ll see some popup saying something like “Incoming Chat Request do you accept, decline or block”. The group member will accept the Chat Request, and will see a weird message saying something like “Hackers Steam Name, wants to give you free Steam Games, click this link for complete info and get your free games” or any sort of suspicious message (usually tells you that you’ll get something free). So some members are curious enough and should I say gullible enough to click the Link and then get their Steam Account Hijacked/Hacked. So instantly the hacked account starts sending Phishing Links to the whole friends list and the wheel goes on...

So guys, just don’t click any links you do not know... This is common sense and the only way to prevent having your account hacked/hijacked. These links can sometimes come from a Friend, Trading Websites, Steam or TF2 Related Forums and Websites... and now stronger than ever, from Steam Groups.

We have already lost 2 Steam Group Members (TF2WORLD.com Group) so far and would hate to see some more go because of this.

Be careful, inform yourself if you do not know what you’re about to click. Read the link if you can. Usually people sending Group Chat Requests have a Private Profile and if not he/she has no Friends, No Games, No playtime Hours and more obviously suspicious stuff going on. Also it would be best to Report any suspicious Members on Steam before they keep doing it and some of your Friends get Hijacked. If you think the link could be even a little safe, try talking to the “Hacker” before clicking, 99.9% of the time, they do not answer you because they are believed to be Bots.

ONE MORE TIME... JUST DON’T CLICK ANY LINKS YOU GET FROM STRANGERS AND EVEN FRIENDS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE CLICKING FOR SURE!

- \TG/ LAROCK™

SOURCE OF THE ARTICLE: http://www.tf2world.com/apps/blog/sh...phishing-links

Last edited by LAROCK: 06-26-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
Scorcher24

Nothing new here. This is old and known.
Scorcher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #3
LAROCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher24 View Post
Nothing new here. This is old and known.
Apparently not enough... everyday there are new users on Steam or uneducated users on the subject... proof is some of my friends are getting knocked down one by one today... Plus they seemed to be people that were educated on such a subject... so this message applies to everyone specially people that didn't know... thanks for your comment anyway
LAROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
Scorcher24

If people can't think about it for 5 cents, then yes, let them be hacked.
Natural selection is sometimes a good thing.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #5
tacc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAROCK View Post
Apparently not enough...
Even I you put a flashing warning in freaking giant red text on every single page on the internet, people will still don't get it.

Threads like this one don't help at all.
tacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:37 PM   #6
Reno582

Valve Should just disable links in the chat application, or allow users to disable links
Reno582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:39 PM   #7
LAROCK

Ok then if this thread bothers some of you then simply ignore it, it really is that easy... some people will appreciate this thread and even want to thank me i guess... so ignore this and move on to somehthing else instead of wasting your time on this... again very simple I choose to try and help, not whine about it or be mad about a thread like this and try I said try to put me down caus eyou're having a bad day. If this thread helps even one person to avoid getting his account hacked, then I done my job... have a great day
Old 06-26-2012, 02:39 PM   #8
Scorcher24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno582 View Post
Valve Should just disable links in the chat application, or allow users to disable links
Horrible Idea. People should just learn how to use the web.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:44 PM   #9
LAROCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno582 View Post
It's a decent idea (always make it optional though) unlike others that dont give a flying hoot about other users wellbeing.. at least I see some do
Old 06-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #10
Reno582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher24 View Post
Horrible Idea. People should just learn how to use the web.
well if someone is thick enough to actually copy and paste a web address to a phishing website then no amount of safety devices are going to help, but a least its not two clicks and bam your account gets stolen
Reno582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #11
kakkerlak

Banned
there is already a warning when you click on links in steam chat.
I been using steam from the start and I never disabled that feature by checking that box when it pop up.
and I dont really need that warning.

plenty warning people just ignore it.
http://cockroachnet.com/image/warning.jpg

Last edited by kakkerlak: 06-26-2012 at 03:04 PM.
kakkerlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:57 PM   #12
QuentinBlackk

I think its good to give some awareness to people who aren't as informed. However, some people just wont get it and end up losing their accounts. These are the people who try to help out that poor Nigerian prince. OP, I think you're commendable, but in the end, people are who they are, ya know.
QuentinBlackk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:16 PM   #13
LAROCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuentinBlackk View Post
I think its good to give some awareness to people who aren't as informed. However, some people just wont get it and end up losing their accounts. These are the people who try to help out that poor Nigerian prince. OP, I think you're commendable, but in the end, people are who they are, ya know.
Thanks dude and sadly I know, people are who they are cheers
Old 06-26-2012, 03:33 PM   #14
Tito Shivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakkerlak View Post
there is already a warning when you click on links in steam chat.
I been using steam from the start and I never disabled that feature by checking that box when it pop up.
and I dont really need that warning.

plenty warning people just ignore it.
http://cockroachnet.com/image/warning.jpg
Best proof that you cannot force people to read.

And how years of 'windows warning popups' have changed warning popups into something that must be clicked away as far as possible, instead of something that must be read and understood...

I can recall some backup software that only let you bypass a programmed backup by typing 'I'm an idiot who doesn't makes backups and i deserve whatever happens from it'

BTW, Thanks OP for the Head's up. The trick is old, but there is never enough warnings.
Tito Shivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #15
LAROCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito Shivan View Post
Best proof that you cannot force people to read.

And how years of 'windows warning popups' have changed warning popups into something that must be clicked away as far as possible, instead of something that must be read and understood...

I can recall some backup software that only let you bypass a programmed backup by typing 'I'm an idiot who doesn't makes backups and i deserve whatever happens from it'

BTW, Thanks OP for the Head's up. The trick is old, but there is never enough warnings.
Thank you kindly, it's my pleasure to keep spreading the word I have been avoiding such links even before Steam, in email accounts and across the web... but gamers will be gamers and nothing sounds better than FREE GAMES to them so they click.. and lose all the games they had already... so maybe today I saved a few Steam Accounts and that makes me feel like a better person

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion