Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Tribes: Ascend

Old 06-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #1
Griffonzo

Unable to attach to the Hi-Rez Authentication service

This is Steam's disguise for saying "Cannot connect to Hi-Rez Authentication Service". I've had this problem for the longest time trying to install Tribes before it arrived on Steam. I've tried many fixes, from uninstalling/reinstalling, running as administrator, deleting folders/files, and running through services.msc. They may work for some, but not others (such as the unfortunate like myself).

Please do share, Im pummeled more and more from Shazbot references everyday.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:55 AM   #2
Ssential

Maybe this one helps:
http://forum.hirezstudios.com/phpbb/...?f=314&t=76829
Ssential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:13 PM   #3
Griffonzo

Sadly it didn't work. Though I did update the .net framework and I also added port forwarding directly to Steam and Tribes. Reinstalling now but I don't expect anything to change. Any other opinions anyone?
Griffonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
PixZomb

Found this on pcgamingwiki, "Delete the "C:\ProgramData\Hi-Rez Studios" folder and reinstall. Also try running as administrator. "
Also someone said on Ascendforums to try to go to Start, run, type "services.msc" and hit enter.
Search for the Hi-Rez Authenticate and Update Service and make sure that it's started.
Try restarting Tribes Ascend after starting the service if it was stopped.
Hope it helps somehow.
PixZomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #5
Griffonzo

I've tried all of the solutions you've mentioned, and to no avail they didn't work for me. I must admit that I have no trouble installing/connecting with anything else on my computer. This installer is just very shoddy with my computer. It's times like these when I wish I could get all the program files in a giant .zip file.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:08 PM   #6
mail box

I"m having this problem too. When I try to launch-
"Unable to attach to the Hi-Rez Authentication service"

I'm on Windows 7 64 bit

Last edited by mail box: 06-29-2012 at 11:32 AM.
mail box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #7
Gotya

i had the same prob it was caused by the beta installation i had, as soon as i uninstalled the beta and the hi-rez update stuff, when i started the steam version, it went through the first time install and patched itself and worked.
Gotya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:58 PM   #8
Griffonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotya View Post
i had the same prob it was caused by the beta installation i had, as soon as i uninstalled the beta and the hi-rez update stuff, when i started the steam version, it went through the first time install and patched itself and worked.
I was hoping the same thing would happen to me by trying Steam, but the problem is like an unforgivable itch.

Im also running a Windows 7 64-bit comp mail box. Not sure if the problem is synonymous on the os.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:45 PM   #9
Noblesavage

I'm also writing to say that I have the same problem.

I tried originally downloading and installing the beta pre-Steam but encountered the same error. I just tried repairing my .NET Framework from Microsoft's site (as the developers seem to be pointing the finger at that), but to no avail.

I'll update if I find any solution.

+++Noblesavage+++
Noblesavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:17 AM   #10
kaikusaki

I manage to solve the problem by running the file "HiPatchSelfUpdateWindow" which is in Hi-RezStudios folder using Run under administrator for window 7 to patch it and my game is running.
kaikusaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:46 AM   #11
Mar1o

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixZomb View Post
Found this on pcgamingwiki, "Delete the "C:\ProgramData\Hi-Rez Studios" folder and reinstall. Also try running as administrator. "
Also someone said on Ascendforums to try to go to Start, run, type "services.msc" and hit enter.
Search for the Hi-Rez Authenticate and Update Service and make sure that it's started.
Try restarting Tribes Ascend after starting the service if it was stopped.
Hope it helps somehow.
thanks man it worked for me! +rep
Mar1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #12
Griffonzo

This might be helpful. I've tried the services thing many times, but its indefinitely always on stopped and I can never start it (it is also set to automatic). Any idea why this is occurring? Here's the posted error message in command prompt when I did a sc query:

SERVICE_NAME: HiPatchService
TYPE : 10 WIN32_OWN_PROCESS
STATE : 1 STOPPED
WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
CHECKPOINT : 0x0
WAIT_HINT : 0x0
Old 06-29-2012, 06:00 PM   #13
Griffonzo

You can also find your error logs by going into:
C:/ProgramData/Hi-Rez Studios/HiPatchService/log

It repeats the error four times. Any thoughts, or am I blowing your minds?

Quote:
SERVICE | 2012-06-29 20:52:42.642 | L4_ERROR | XXCould not start tcp System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoBind(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Bind(EndPoint localEP)
at System.Net.Sockets.TcpListener.Start(Int32 backlog)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.ExclusiveTcpListe ner.Start(Boolean exclusiveAddressUse)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp.TcpServerChan nel.StartListening(Object data)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp.TcpServerChan nel..ctor(IDictionary properties, IServerChannelSinkProvider sinkProvider, IAuthorizeRemotingConnection authorizeCallback)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp.TcpChannel..c tor(IDictionary properties, IClientChannelSinkProvider clientSinkProvider, IServerChannelSinkProvider serverSinkProvider)
at Hirez.Patcher.PatcherGUIClientAccess.StartRemoting Server(QLogger logger, String configPath)
Old 06-29-2012, 06:25 PM   #14
Mjrthreat

Like a Cockroach

This game is like a cockroach in my computer that I can't kill. Installed, but won't start, and I can't even uninstall...Getting the Port 80 message...
Mjrthreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #15
GhostInMachine

open Services by typing 'services' into the windows search box and hitting enter.

Look for 'Hi-Rez Authenticate and Update Service' make sure it's started.

Restart launcher and it'll probably work as intended, including uninstall, you may need to uninstall the service via add/remove programs in windows before the steam version will install it'self properly.

Last edited by GhostInMachine: 06-29-2012 at 10:39 PM.
GhostInMachine is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Tribes: Ascend