Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > L.A. Noire

Old 06-28-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
Ghostookami

Terrible PC performance! (fps lag)

So steam had their midweek madness sale yesterday/today and were selling LA Noire for 5 bucks, i jumped on that offer since i always wanted to play the game.

I downloaded the game through the night, woke up this morning and expected to kick some criminal butt, however i was wrong.

I started the game, boosted all settings to max (as i do with EVERY game i own on pc including, Skyrim/Battlefield3/Diablo3/Saints Row the third ect ect) all of those games run perfectly fine on max settings. But first thing i noticed was the menu of the game was extremely slow, i finally got into the game and my god my FPS must have been between 1-3. I couldnt even move.

I lowered some settings and it didnt change a thing, i couldnt move still. i searched around on the net a bit and didnt find any answers but found a lot of people were having this issue. The game is much older now surely there has been a way to fix this.

My PC specs
W7 prof 64bit
Intel Core 2duo CPU @ 2.66GHZ (2CPUs) ~ 2.7GHZ
4gigs of RAM
Nvidia Geforce 560Ti graphics card

I checked the rockstar website and made sure i made the recuirtments, and i definatly do. But at this point its unplayable.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
Chadkins

I've been having the same troubles.

It's like the game plays in pictures.
Chadkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #3
darkdomino

I have a Core i7 quad @ 2.4 ghz and a GeForce 580m - I've been playing for several hours now and the framerate has been a solid 30 FPS. I only had the framerate drop to 27 once while examining a piece of evidence, and it was for like 2 seconds.

I'm playing on the default max settings, 4x AF, 3x FSAA, and everything high or balanced (I was in a hurry to play so didn't go through all the options)

The game looks great and runs great for me... sorry.
darkdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
Wurum

This is a shot in the dark but have you looked into running the game on directX9? I don't know what the game is built for, but I had problems running Crysis, a game that should have run flawlessly on my machine. Someone suggested setting the command line to run it on DX9 and it worked fine.

Chadkins, I read your other post. I'm wondering if your graphics solution is up to the task. Check out this review:http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-...n.43710.0.html
Wurum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
Chadkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurum View Post
This is a shot in the dark but have you looked into running the game on directX9? I don't know what the game is built for, but I had problems running Crysis, a game that should have run flawlessly on my machine. Someone suggested setting the command line to run it on DX9 and it worked fine.

Chadkins, I read your other post. I'm wondering if your graphics solution is up to the task. Check out this review:http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-...n.43710.0.html
I thought it was probably my Graphics Card.
All of my other specs look fantastic, not anything great, but perfect for what I needed.

Damn you Intel and your terrible Graphics Cards!
Chadkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
Ghostookami

it is running on Dx9 currently. still ran like crap

however i found a small solution that seemed to do the trick.

when going into the options before starting the game, there is a command line you can enter things into. i found that if you enter

-str

it made it playable. theres small hiccups but it is playable. kinda dissapointing that rockstar cant make a decent pc port. or at least thats what ive found in my histroy with them.
Ghostookami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:56 PM   #7
tonkinese

3.0ghz minimum really needed
tonkinese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #8
FIR3arms

I had a bizarre issue where it ran GLORIOUSLY! But after about 20 minutes was just stuttering.
FIR3arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #9
Sweetz

LA Noire is actually much more CPU bound than GPU bound. A dual core under 3.0GHz is not going to run the game well.
Sweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:32 PM   #10
batchsg

I found that by turning off SSAO (super sample abient occlusion) my framerate issues went away, in initial testing at least. I have -str on, which did marginally increase in-game performance and fixed the menu performance.

You can turn SSAO on and off inside the game, so you can test for yourselves easily, and so far it seems to work for me.

Specs
AMD Athlon X2 3.2ghz
Radeon HD 5750
8gb ram
ssd hdd
Win7x64
batchsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:25 AM   #11
SarahARoyce

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonkinese View Post
3.0ghz minimum really needed
No, I have a Intel Core Duo Quad 2.83 Ghz and it works absolutely flawless.

In fact beside the two cores more I run a very similar system to the original poster. Maybe the difference lies in the use of Direct X 11 ? (I used it from the start to be able to use hardwareantialiasing)
SarahARoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #12
GrandMaster_J

Well, I just tried DX9 and it seemed to make it worse for me.
I have other modern Games like Crysis 2, F1 2011, Assassins creed etc etc, and all run fine, so I don't think it's my system.

For L.A. Noire, seems to run better with DX11, AA and ambient on, than DX9 with AA and ambient turned off?!

Oddly, I bought Velvet assassin last week, and that runs like a sack of turd aswell. I have a feeling it's more to do with the games as everything else runs fine for me.
GrandMaster_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:10 AM   #13
SarahARoyce

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMaster_J View Post
For L.A. Noire, seems to run better with DX11, AA and ambient on, than DX9 with AA and ambient turned off?!
That confusion is easily cleared. DX9 has no interface to the GPUs inbuilt antialiasing capabilities, so if you want to have AA, it has to be emulated by the CPU, no matter how good a GPU you have.
SarahARoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #14
GrandMaster_J

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahARoyce View Post
That confusion is easily cleared. DX9 has no interface to the GPUs inbuilt antialiasing capabilities, so if you want to have AA, it has to be emulated by the CPU, no matter how good a GPU you have.
Even if they're turned off?
I tend to run F1 2011 in DX9 for online racing, as the frame rate is a tad higher even with AA maxed out.

I think it's just poor coding by the game devs, as there isn't really anything special looking over other games that I have
Old 06-29-2012, 09:41 AM   #15
GrandMaster_J

Sorry, double post but I just had a search on google and it seems a lot of problems are being cause by threading set to multi.

Just set to single and runs as smooth as anything.

I didn't have to do this next part, but some people were finding it helpfull by typing "-str" in the command line under the launchers "options" tab

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > L.A. Noire