Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
dermic459
 
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Reputation: 29
Posts: 228
Exclamation Freezing problem with TF2

Acouple of days ago I started to have problems with TF2. The problem is it keeps freezing up when I play. So after I've been playing on a server for about 5 minutes the games freezes and the audio loops. Once it freezes the only way to quite and restart the game is to hard restart the computer. I haven't had this problem before with the computer I am using. I really need help because it has gotten so bad that I can even play the game anymore. Here is a video of the problem.

Here is my computer system:

Operating system: Windows 7 Professional (x64)

Laptop: Dell Studio xps 1340

Processor: 2.40 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo

Memory: 4GBs

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9500M (GF 9400MG + GF 9200MGS)

I found out that the freeze happens when ever I initiate a sound file like a health pick up.

Last edited by dermic459: 06-28-2012 at 09:51 PM.
dermic459 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:37 AM   #2
Doc_Gonzo
 
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Reputation: 848
Posts: 1,705
Have you monitored your CPU and GPU temperatures during gameplay? I'd start there to rule out overheating.
Doc_Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:31 AM   #3
fincher234
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Reputation: 1198
Posts: 2,430
Do you have non-source non-steam games you can test with to see if this is a general hardware problem? It might be an issue with a recent tf2 patch as I am reading other june 2012 posts from people complaining of a similar issue with audio looping and stuttering or lock ups.
fincher234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
dermic459
 
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Reputation: 29
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Gonzo View Post
Have you monitored your CPU and GPU temperatures during gameplay? I'd start there to rule out overheating.
how do I check if its over heating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fincher234 View Post
Do you have non-source non-steam games you can test with to see if this is a general hardware problem? It might be an issue with a recent tf2 patch as I am reading other june 2012 posts from people complaining of a similar issue with audio looping and stuttering or lock ups.
No I don't have any other games that are not steam or non-source.
dermic459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:26 AM   #5
fincher234
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Reputation: 1198
Posts: 2,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by dermic459 View Post
how do I check if its over heating?



http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/SysInfo/GPU-Z/

Monitor your gpu temps while you are playing the game and post the numbers that you see near the time that the system locks up. Don't post numbers from when the game just starts or when you aren't gaming. It is important that we see numbers near a lock up.
fincher234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
dermic459
 
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Reputation: 29
Posts: 228
I monitored my GPU's temp. when the game froze the GPU temp was at 80c. I decided to try and wait the freeze out. Once the temp lowered the game unfroze. Then I continued to play. Once the temp hit 80 again nothing happened and I was able to continue playing. As I played I notice the hotter the GPU got the more lagy the game out. While playing I noticed the GPU hit 86. I think that the freeze and the GPU temp are related. I will continue to test this theory out. If any of you have any idea of how to lower the GPU temp please let me know. Thanks
dermic459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:04 PM   #7
fincher234
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Reputation: 1198
Posts: 2,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by dermic459 View Post
I monitored my GPU's temp. when the game froze the GPU temp was at 80c. I decided to try and wait the freeze out. Once the temp lowered the game unfroze. Then I continued to play. Once the temp hit 80 again nothing happened and I was able to continue playing. As I played I notice the hotter the GPU got the more lagy the game out. While playing I noticed the GPU hit 86. I think that the freeze and the GPU temp are related. I will continue to test this theory out. If any of you have any idea of how to lower the GPU temp please let me know. Thanks

Do you hear the fans ramping up speed and becoming noisy? As you haven't always had this problem I would first make sure that the vents and fan openings aren't clogged up with dust.

Have you recently updated key system drivers or your bios?
I'm not suggesting you do this, I am asking because these might have changed the behavior of your machine fans.

Have you changed what the laptop is sitting on?
fincher234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #8
Haserath
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Reputation: 6
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dermic459 View Post
I monitored my GPU's temp. when the game froze the GPU temp was at 80c. I decided to try and wait the freeze out. Once the temp lowered the game unfroze. Then I continued to play. Once the temp hit 80 again nothing happened and I was able to continue playing. As I played I notice the hotter the GPU got the more lagy the game out. While playing I noticed the GPU hit 86. I think that the freeze and the GPU temp are related. I will continue to test this theory out. If any of you have any idea of how to lower the GPU temp please let me know. Thanks
Open your case and use a box fan. Works wonders for cases in need of more cooling.
Haserath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:12 PM   #9
borg_7_of_9
 
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Reputation: 2869
Posts: 13,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by dermic459 View Post
Acouple of days ago I started to have problems with TF2. The problem is it keeps freezing up when I play. So after I've been playing on a server for about 5 minutes the games freezes and the audio loops. Once it freezes the only way to quite and restart the game is to hard restart the computer. I haven't had this problem before with the computer I am using. I really need help because it has gotten so bad that I can even play the game anymore. Here is a video of the problem.

Here is my computer system:

Operating system: Windows 7 Professional (x64)

Laptop: Dell Studio xps 1340

Processor: 2.40 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo

Memory: 4GBs

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9500M (GF 9400MG + GF 9200MGS)

I found out that the freeze happens when ever I initiate a sound file like a health pick up.
this suggest the op should try updating his sound drivers carn't anybody else read
borg_7_of_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:27 PM   #10
fincher234
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Reputation: 1198
Posts: 2,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by borg_7_of_9 View Post
this suggest the op should try updating his sound drivers carn't anybody else read
I can read but there are many different sound files utilized regularly in the game and I have to consider that there is also the possibility of misinterpreting or coming to conclusion based on something that is coincidental. I read over the post a number of times and carefully read that sentence but decided that I wasn't convinced that the statement was likely to be accurately reflecting what was happening.
Certainly if dermic wants to download and reinstall sound drivers for the system it shouldn't hurt anything. I don't read any indication that the sound drivers have been recently changed though there is always the possibility that a long used driver has become corrupted. I would think, though, that there would be other stability problems under these conditions, outside of tf2.
fincher234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:40 PM   #11
borg_7_of_9
 
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Reputation: 2869
Posts: 13,509
But if a sound file seam's to be the cause wouldn't it make sense to start there then work through from there rather than starting with something else then working through to sound?

If a GPU has artefacts in game you don't start with sound driver's!
If you updated drivers you roll back to the ones that worked before if that fails or the drivers where working you check for overheating then move on to other possibilities...

And I was only pointing out the OP believes is a sound issue not pointing the finger at any particular person....
borg_7_of_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:40 AM   #12
fincher234
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Reputation: 1198
Posts: 2,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by borg_7_of_9 View Post
But if a sound file seam's to be the cause wouldn't it make sense to start there then work through from there rather than starting with something else then working through to sound?

If a GPU has artefacts in game you don't start with sound driver's!
If you updated drivers you roll back to the ones that worked before if that fails or the drivers where working you check for overheating then move on to other possibilities...

And I was only pointing out the OP believes is a sound issue not pointing the finger at any particular person....
I understand and if poster needs help to reinstall the sound driver we can provide direction.
fincher234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #13
dermic459
 
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Reputation: 29
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by fincher234 View Post
I can read but there are many different sound files utilized regularly in the game and I have to consider that there is also the possibility of misinterpreting or coming to conclusion based on something that is coincidental. I read over the post a number of times and carefully read that sentence but decided that I wasn't convinced that the statement was likely to be accurately reflecting what was happening.
Certainly if dermic wants to download and reinstall sound drivers for the system it shouldn't hurt anything. I don't read any indication that the sound drivers have been recently changed though there is always the possibility that a long used driver has become corrupted. I would think, though, that there would be other stability problems under these conditions, outside of tf2.
I believe that it was probably a coincidence because it hasn't happened again. well not that I know of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fincher234 View Post
Do you hear the fans ramping up speed and becoming noisy? As you haven't always had this problem I would first make sure that the vents and fan openings aren't clogged up with dust.

Have you recently updated key system drivers or your bios?
I'm not suggesting you do this, I am asking because these might have changed the behavior of your machine fans.

Have you changed what the laptop is sitting on?
The fan does go on but I don't think I have ever heard it run at full speed. so If there is a way to control fan speed I am sure it would help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haserath View Post
Open your case and use a box fan. Works wonders for cases in need of more cooling.
I opened my case and put it on one of those external computer fans and it seems to help the temps thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fincher234 View Post
I understand and if poster needs help to reinstall the sound driver we can provide direction.
I can try reinstalling the sound drivers if you guys think it will help and yes I would love help on how to do that .

Oh I also found a new problem with the game. after that first test I did of the gpu temp I tried different things to cool the gpu. When I ran the game again to test the gpu temp again there was a graphics error. Some of the games textures were glitching out. I am not sure what caused that.
dermic459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #14
fincher234
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Reputation: 1198
Posts: 2,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by dermic459 View Post

The fan does go on but I don't think I have ever heard it run at full speed. so If there is a way to control fan speed I am sure it would help.
In the gpu-z sensors tab is there anything showing in fan speed?
Don't become concerned if it doesn't. It doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong. If it does show anything what is it showing when the system is idle and what is it showing when you are gaming and temps are rising?
Quote:
I opened my case and put it on one of those external computer fans and it seems to help the temps thanks.

...
Oh I also found a new problem with the game. after that first test I did of the gpu temp I tried different things to cool the gpu. When I ran the game again to test the gpu temp again there was a graphics error. Some of the games textures were glitching out. I am not sure what caused that.
What were all the things you tried to cool the gpu?
This issue occurred when temps were lower than they had been?


If you have found a way to get the temps lower I think we need to confirm, for a few days, whether we are on the right track and the issues you described before have cleared up. I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase because we jump to conclusions too soon.
fincher234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #15
dermic459
 
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Reputation: 29
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by fincher234 View Post
In the gpu-z sensors tab is there anything showing in fan speed?
Don't become concerned if it doesn't. It doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong. If it does show anything what is it showing when the system is idle and what is it showing when you are gaming and temps are rising?


What were all the things you tried to cool the gpu?
This issue occurred when temps were lower than they had been?


If you have found a way to get the temps lower I think we need to confirm, for a few days, whether we are on the right track and the issues you described before have cleared up. I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase because we jump to conclusions too soon.
I looked for the fan speed and didn't see it in the sensors tab. But by having the back of the case off I can see the fan start moving when the gpu is at about 60c. during the game I haven't seen it above 75c But it did crash around 74c I waited it out. when i was able to play again the temp got higher than 74 and the game didn't crash.

Having the case open with the external fan was the only way that I found lowered the temp. I did try a program called Speed Fan to set the fan speed at max, but the program didn't recognize the fan so that didn't work. That's about it I going to try running the game again and see if anything changed.

avoiding a wild goose chase sounds good to me because trust me when I say I have had plenty of those in my life.

Last edited by dermic459: 07-01-2012 at 05:28 PM.
dermic459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.