Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Old 06-28-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
Blezmo

Why is it called steam?

Why do you think the forums, the network, the software, and this whole organization made by Valve is called Steam?
Old 06-28-2012, 09:19 PM   #2
Juicy Donut

Because when you release the VALVE, STEAM comes out.
Juicy Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
stevan_stetz

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_(software)
stevan_stetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #4
Eufex

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19R2fDXCzcM
Eufex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #5
Blezmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy Donut View Post
Because when you release the VALVE, STEAM comes out.
Oh yeah thats right, but I was hoping no one would answer the thread question that quickly. Now the thread may already approaching the end of it's life.

So, to keep this going, my next question is...
If Bungie is so afraid that it will lose profit from torrenters if it makes its games available for pc, then why won't they just have their game on steam.

Steam is an excellent way to reduce the number of people pirating their game. Plus, since Halos, 3,ODST, Reach, and possibly 4 are all multiplayer games, it would be nice have it on steam. They'd probably increase their profits despite the fee they'd have to pay.
Blezmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #6
Wardiaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blezmo View Post
Oh yeah thats right, but I was hoping no one would answer the thread question that quickly. Now the thread may already approaching the end of it's life.

So, to keep this going, my next question is...
If Bungie is so afraid that it will lose profit from torrenters if it makes its games available for pc, then why won't they just have their game on steam.

Steam is an excellent way to reduce the number of people pirating their game. Plus, since Halos, 3,ODST, Reach, and possibly 4 are all multiplayer games, it would be nice have it on steam. They'd probably increase their profits despite the fee they'd have to pay.
Doesn't Microsoft own that IP? They want it Xbox exclusive. I would definitely buy them all for PC, but probably won't happen and if it ever does it will be when they are very old games (like Halo Combat Evolved and Halo 2 appearing on PC when no one cared anymore).
Wardiaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:36 PM   #7
Blezmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardiaper View Post
Doesn't Microsoft own that IP? They want it Xbox exclusive. I would definitely buy them all for PC, but probably won't happen and if it ever does it will be when they are very old games (like Halo Combat Evolved and Halo 2 appearing on PC when no one cared anymore).
What do you mean by "that IP"?
If you're talking about the game, no. Microsoft does not own the Halo series as well as other Bungie games, Microsoft supports it,
Old 06-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #8
Wardiaper

Quote:
What do you mean by "that IP"?
If you're talking about the game, no. Microsoft does not own the Halo series as well as other Bungie games, Microsoft supports it,
Bungie left to make their own game. Microsoft continues development on Halo 4 with a different company and it's not Bungie.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:43 PM   #9
Blezmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardiaper View Post
Bungie left to make their own game. Microsoft continues development on Halo 4 with a different company and it's not Bungie.
Hmmm... You're right, they're now owned by Microsoft, and managed by 343 Industries, but they were originally created by Bungie.
According to Wiki

Now, to keep this thread running, so that I can get atleast 10 posts in here, My next question is...
Do you think there'll be a Portal 3?

Portal one and two were both amazing, yet tricky strategy games, and I like how they kept it sweet and simple. Now the issue is that the plot is already completely solved and wrapped up in Portal 2. Furthermore, with a google search I wasn't able to find anything other than rumors on a Portal 3 development. So if valve did want to make a Portal 3, what would it be about?

Last edited by Blezmo: 06-28-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:45 PM   #10
Wardiaper

Quote:
Hmmm... You're right, they're now owned by Microsoft, and managed by 343 Industries, but they were originally created by Bungie.
According to Wiki
Kinda like the Call of Duty series. The original devs are gone and development is split up among several developers to release a new game every year. Activision owns that IP.

I would love Halo Reach and Anniversary on PC though.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:47 PM   #11
Worstluck

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bungie

Microsoft owns the intellectual property for Halo. Bungie was bougt out by Microsoft in 2000. Microsoft never needed to put Halo on Steam, or for the pc really, for a multitude of reasons (namely money).

I am not sure what your original post had to do with Bungie, but whatever. Good luck

(Edit: sure there will be Portal 3 right after Half Life 3 comes out. It will mainly be about ponies, afaik)

Last edited by Worstluck: 06-28-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Worstluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:03 PM   #12
Nahchito

Banned
Because 42.
Nahchito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:08 PM   #13
Blezmo

To reach my 10 post qouta, my next question about steam is...

Why cant we have avatar(profile pics) on this forum. Steam allows avatar pics on its network, why not on it's forum?
Old 06-28-2012, 10:14 PM   #14
Nahchito

Banned
Quote:
To reach my 10 post qouta, my next question about steam is...

Why cant we have avatar(profile pics) on this forum. Steam allows avatar pics on its network, why not on it's forum?
Because its beter this way
Nahchito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:20 PM   #15
FullLife2

one night Gabe Newell was heating up several hot pockets and when he went to take them out of the microwave the STEAM fogged up his glasses thus blinding him. this sent him into a violent rage trashing his entire apartment and ruining all his game cd's. as he sat there and wept he vowed for this horrible turn of events to never happen to anyone again that night steam was born.
FullLife2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion