Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Dedicated Server Discussions > Source DS (Windows)

Old 04-14-2005, 01:27 PM   #1
ThePlague

Unhappy Slow map changes

It takes my server a while to change maps. Does anyone know of a windows tweek or source command or command line code that could speed up the map change process? Please help! Im running 1.6GHz Pentium 4 with 512 RAM running Windows Server 2003 (tweeks and commands will be the same as Windows XP home or pro)

Old 04-14-2005, 02:03 PM   #2
danny9894

Your Ram is why your server loads the maps so slow. The server software for CSS isn't really hard on the cpu. But for a server having a lot of RAM is a must. So add another 512mb of ram to your server and it should be good. Also what connection is it on?
Old 04-14-2005, 04:17 PM   #3
ThePlague

I have 200-300 MB free of RAM so that should be the problem. The server is on DSL but im playing on it over LAN ... its just to play on with a few friends. RAM and internet shouldnt really have an effect here
Old 04-15-2005, 03:00 AM   #4
jonass1

Is it the acctual load time of the map on the server or is the the amount of time you can chat with other connected players before the screen "loading" appers? If it is the last one then check your "mp_chattime X" line in the server.cfg. The X represents the amount of seconds clients can chat before new map loads on clients. Since you are on LAN and your buddys are in the same room (or atleast very close to you) i would set this to 1.

Regards.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:54 PM   #5
ThePlague

It comes up with a black screen right away with the progress bar but It takes a while for the bar to start moving which means the server loads the maps slow. I can go into my closet and hear the hard drive chugging away so I know its loading the map. I just reformated it and reinstalled Windows Server 2003 so fragmentation and what not isnt the problem.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:35 PM   #6
Plutonium2k

ive got the exact same problem with my server
Old 04-16-2005, 09:53 PM   #7
ThePlague

Smile

actually it was just slow for the first few map changes (i just download the srcds) but now it seems to change pretty fast
Old 04-17-2005, 01:38 AM   #8
Plutonium2k

Cool, what is it and where can I get it?
Old 04-17-2005, 04:17 AM   #9
ThePlague

no i meant i just installed the source dedicated server and it changed maps slow for the first few changes but now it seems to work fine
Old 04-17-2005, 05:17 AM   #10
Plutonium2k

Oh right ... lol

I was using SRDCS at first and it had the same problem. But as you said it started off slow but then got faster at changing maps, but then it got all slow again

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Dedicated Server Discussions > Source DS (Windows)