Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Spec Ops: The Line

Old 07-02-2012, 03:51 AM   #1
djh_

Gamer-friendly INIs: FOV, HUD toggle, mouse acceleration

WARNING: I have no idea if this'll get you VAC banned.

1) Run the game at least once.
2) Back up the files SREngine.ini, SRGame.ini, SRInput.ini in your MyGames/SpecOps-TheLine/SRGame/Config/ folder. (That's your documents folder, not the game's install dir.)
3) Unpack this zip archive there and overwrite the files.
4) Make sure the new files are read-only before loading the game, otherwise they'll be overwritten.

New bindings:

Numeric keypad 1-0: FOV 10-110
F1: toggle HUD

Other changes:

Mouse acceleration disabled.
Anisotropic filtering set to 16.
Startup movies disabled.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2ycj42j1lb48wgv

This hasn't been fully tested. Always make backups. Don't expect me to care if it's not to your taste.

Thanks to Rick Gibbed for decrypting the files.

PERFORMANCE UPDATE:

Someone asked me about an apparent drop in the game's performance after the first load. At a glance, the reason seems to be some unusually demanding AppCompat presets that are overriding the game's defaults once your hardware's been detected. Shadow and texture resolution are particularly high, though on my PC this isn't an issue - so the preset is appropriate. Maybe that's not the case for others.

If it's a big issue then I'm happy to write some more lenient compatibility settings or similar.

Last edited by djh_: 07-02-2012 at 07:11 AM. Reason: New version added: fixes no-cutscene problem.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:47 AM   #2
Emualynk

Not sure if it's related to the INIs but I get a crash at the end of chapter 5. A cinematic loads but the screen stays black and I can't skip it.
Emualynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:57 AM   #3
djh_

I had that, too. Try quitting the game, reloading and resuming play. Fixed it for me. Not sure what the cause is.

EDIT: I've put a new version up. Should fix the issue.

Last edited by djh_: 07-02-2012 at 05:44 AM.
djh_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
wazups 2x

Thanks for this! Finally adjustable FOV and no more mouse accel.
wazups 2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #5
asdfgzxcv

Works really well. Only problem i encountered so far is in chapter 5. When i pick up the sniper rifle and have the fov changed via the numpad keys the rifle dont zoom in at all. If i reload the checkpoint and dont touch the fov the rifle zooms in the way it should.

Other than that this is awesome and makes the experience a lot better.
asdfgzxcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #6
mouton

Which ini has the mouse acceleration setting?
mouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
asdfgzxcv

Having the same problem with another semi automatic sniper rifle i now picked up. Seems that the changing of fov affects the zoom on all the sniper rifles in the game.
asdfgzxcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #8
RAMPAGE572

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh_ View Post
WARNING: I have no idea if this'll get you VAC banned.

1) Run the game at least once.
2) Back up the files SREngine.ini, SRGame.ini, SRInput.ini in your MyGames/SpecOps-TheLine/SRGame/Config/ folder. (That's your documents folder, not the game's install dir.)
3) Unpack this zip archive there and overwrite the files.
4) Make sure the new files are read-only before loading the game, otherwise they'll be overwritten.

New bindings:

Numeric keypad 1-0: FOV 10-110
F1: toggle HUD

Other changes:

Mouse acceleration disabled.
Anisotropic filtering set to 16.
Startup movies disabled.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2ycj42j1lb48wgv

This hasn't been fully tested. Always make backups. Don't expect me to care if it's not to your taste.

Thanks to Rick Gibbed for decrypting the files.

PERFORMANCE UPDATE:

Someone asked me about an apparent drop in the game's performance after the first load. At a glance, the reason seems to be some unusually demanding AppCompat presets that are overriding the game's defaults once your hardware's been detected. Shadow and texture resolution are particularly high, though on my PC this isn't an issue - so the preset is appropriate. Maybe that's not the case for others.

If it's a big issue then I'm happy to write some more lenient compatibility settings or similar.
Can you put up a ini editior or a method of how you did this please
RAMPAGE572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:30 AM   #9
Sreya

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMPAGE572 View Post
Can you put up a ini editior or a method of how you did this please
He easily could've but chose not to.

Here's gibbed's decrypter, http://mod.gib.me/specopstheline/inicrypt.zip
Drag & drop the .ini files of interest on decrypt.exe, edit the .ini, drag & drop the edited .ini on encrypt.exe. Don't forget this last re-encrypt step.

Mouse smoothing is at the top of srinput.ini, accel might be m_viewAccelEnabled

Last edited by Sreya: 07-04-2012 at 12:33 AM.
Sreya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:29 AM   #10
ValenOfGrey

So, I gratefully copy/pasted these INI files over. However, it seems that they did not completely fix the mouse accel. issue.

The game starts up, with startup movies still intact. When it gets to the main menu all the graphics settings are on low & at 640x480 res - HOWEVER the mouse acceleration is off.

Try to change the resolution to anything 1024x768 or higher however results in mouse acceleration coming back.

I am totally baffled as to why this is. Any ideas?
ValenOfGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:00 AM   #11
Biffa999

Thank god... shows how much the dev/pub cares about the PC gamers.

... the jaggies hurt me eyes...
Biffa999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:26 AM   #12
mouton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenOfGrey View Post
So, I gratefully copy/pasted these INI files over. However, it seems that they did not completely fix the mouse accel. issue.

The game starts up, with startup movies still intact. When it gets to the main menu all the graphics settings are on low & at 640x480 res - HOWEVER the mouse acceleration is off.

Try to change the resolution to anything 1024x768 or higher however results in mouse acceleration coming back.

I am totally baffled as to why this is. Any ideas?
Perhaps you have corrupted the ini somehow and it loads up defaults? Also, someone mentioned write-protecting the modified re-encrypted file, maybe this will help?
mouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #13
ValenOfGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouton View Post
Perhaps you have corrupted the ini somehow and it loads up defaults? Also, someone mentioned write-protecting the modified re-encrypted file, maybe this will help?
This doesn't track though - why would one setting (mouse accel) be changed, but everything else be default? How exactly would one write protect them? Just set the "Read only" checkbox, or something else?

In any event, I manually decrypted the original INI's, found & changed the mouse accell/resolution, re-encrypted them, and the same issues occur. I don't believe it is due to corrupted INI's that this point.

I played several chapters at 800x600 resolution, and have been having a grand old time now that I can actually aim right without having the mouse sliding around. I just wish it would work at my 1366x768 default res.

Last edited by ValenOfGrey: 07-04-2012 at 07:49 AM.
ValenOfGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:59 AM   #14
biberwesen

Thank you so much. btw, whenever i die and have to reload the checkpoint, the fov must be re-adjusted. but it's not that hard to press Numpad9, so that's a very small loss.
biberwesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:13 AM   #15
Pixie1

Thanks so much for linking to the ini decrypter!

I'm looking for a way to use freecam in this game, to have full control over the camera and fly around, I do this because I like taking screenshots and this game had pretty enough art that I wanted to explore and take some captures free of the HUD (which a command for is already provided in this thread ) and free of any character model. I have a website devoted to this and post them around the internet in various places.

has anyone worked out how to do this yet? I've tried some common UE3 commands in the bindings section of SRinput ("FreeCamera", "FreeCamera 1", "ToggleFlyCam", "Noclip", "Ghost", and "Fly") and none of them work
Pixie1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Spec Ops: The Line