Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > ARMA series

Old 07-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
kyosai

A fix for those who have FPS issues and or Mouse lag

I posted this on DAYZ forums - but it also works for the normal ARMA2, and OA aswell. Just trying to help some people out, since the game has spiked in popularity lately! Good luck, enjoy, and post feedback if it has worked for you.

Quote:
I've been playing this series since Flashpoint days. Yes, the engine has it's issues.

Seeing as their are a incredibly huge spike in players due to this fantastic mod, thought i'd throw out a few fixes that dramatically improve fps, and make your game play experience much better. If you're like me, your first impression was unsatisfactory. You were met with either incredible lag when playing all but the most simple missions, your mouse felt like it was attached to your gun via rubber band, and overall you found the game unplayable.

FPS lag fix:
Step 1: Go into your "My Documents" folder.
Step 2: Open "ArmA 2" folder.
Step 3: Look for the following lines in ArmA2.cfg, ArmA2OA.cfg, and any other ArmA versions you have.
GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1000;
GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=3;
Step 4: Change them to:
GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;
GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1;
Profit. This should dramatically help your FPS lag. Now for the mouse lag.

Mouse lag fix:
Step 1: Open ArmA 2.
Step 2: Open your control settings for whatever profile you use.
Step 3: Drag mouse smoothing to zero.

(you know how long it took me to realize that this option was their, and I had the game for a long time! I thought it was just part of the game and had to deal with it. What a difference! Much more enjoyable!!!)

Oh, and one more thing. This will further help FPS and especially help if you're hosting a game which is CPU intensive. Got more than one CPU on your computer? Probably. Most computers do today.

CPU resource increase:
Step 1: Go into the Steam library (or the shortcut you use to launch ArmA 2 if you're not using steam).
Step 2: Right click on shortcut, Open properties, then launch options (or just properties if it's a shortcut).
Step 3: Add the following line to the launch options (or shortcut path):
-CpuCount=# (with # corresponding to the number of CPUs you have or want to use for ArmA. I have a six cores, so I put 6.)

...and that's it. Right off the bat you'll notice a huge increase, and the game will feel a lot more playable.

Enjoy! See you in game. My name is 'Jason' in-game, so if you happen to run into me, I am friendly! Hope you guys will spare me, and I will spare you. Any hostility and we'll have ourselves a western shootout.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
NitrousX

The game suffers from a severe case of negative mouse acceleration even if you have the mouse smoothing slider set all the way to the left. Casual players probably won't notice this, but for low sensitivity players like myself who are accustomed to making frequent swipes across our mouse pads, this is very problematic. Regardless of whether I swipe my mouse really fast or really slow, the crosshair will either "spazz out" or move to a random location on the screen. For example, if I swipe my mouse to the right really quick, the crosshair can end up looking up at the sky or even down at the floor (LoL). Also if I swipe my mouse to make a 360 turn, the crosshair will slightly fly past the area I was originally looking at. In other words, mouse movement is not 1:1. The game (for me) is simply unplayable because of the delayed/inconsistent mouse movement. I have mouse acceleration permanently disabled on the desktop and I do not have any acceleration problems in any of the other games I have currently installed (BF3, TF2, Borderlands, Alan Wake).

Here's a couple videos (not mine) illustrating the effects of negative mouse acceleration. First two are Arma 2, third one is of TF2, fourth one is of BC2.

http://youtu.be/JX9dJB4eCM4?hd=1

http://youtu.be/DVGh1gmtXuM

http://youtu.be/jjJKGplBHmA?hd=1

http://youtu.be/xpzFqr-Rn_w?hd=1
NitrousX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #3
Dwarden

Bohemia Interactive
the negative mouse acceleration problem will be fixed in ARMA 3, but i don't think it can be easily backported to OA ... (was bit more complicated that it seems)

Old 07-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #4
NitrousX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarden View Post
the negative mouse acceleration problem will be fixed in ARMA 3, but i don't think it can be easily backported to OA ... (was bit more complicated that it seems)
Thanks for acknowledging that the problem exists. A lot of players would be happy if you implemented an option of disabling mouse acceleration permanently but I totally understand that as a result of this that you would have to rework the engine all together. Team Fortress 2 (and other Source engine games) had the same exact problem but it has since been fixed in a patch.
NitrousX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
ChromateKing

There's no reason they couldn't fix it in Arma II (they've been patching all kinds of other issues, mostly for DayZ), it's game breaking for me. The mouse is sloppy and doesn't move as expected, the rate limiting & neg accel make my mouse movements feel totally unconnected with what's going on on the screen. I'm constantly having to pick up my mouse and reset its position to try and compensate, which I normally never have to do.

Also the motion blur is way too strong (Half-Life 2 had blur perfected). I know can turn it off by disabling all post-processing effects, but I wish I could JUST the blur off.

And no, I'm NOT buying Arma 3 just so I can play w/o mouse accel and nausea inducing blur, that's not how it works game developers.

I wish you could return games on Steam (actually I wish I saw all the threads about the terrible mouse controls on this game BEFORE I wasted my money on it, unfortunately they were buried during the Steam sale by all the "Is it worth it" threads ), this game would immediately go back, along with The Witcher EE, that game also has terrible neg mouse accel issues.

Last edited by ChromateKing: 07-31-2012 at 03:34 PM.
ChromateKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
Jedra

@ChromateKing - Did you try the tips in the first post? Although it doesn't completely fix the problem, it helps a lot. Also, I have honestly found that in Arma it's less of an issue than it would be in twitch shooters like BF3 and CoD. Most of the time I am making more measured and slow movements as the game is lot slower paced - the exception being if you play some of the more hectic PvP missions.

I agree on the motion-blur front though. You should try Oktaine's fix for this - it works well. Obviously if you play online, you'll have to hope the server owner accepts the key for this mod (I do when my server is up). I hope that in Arma 3 there are more individual options available for visual effects.

It's a shame that this puts you off Arma altogether though - if you haven't, try the tips in the first post, it may help you. If not then fair enough I suppose.

To be fair to the devs, if they say an issue is more complicated than they first thought, then they are usually being straight up - if it was easy then this is the kind of thing that Suma fixes pretty quickly. Also I wouldn't say that most of the stuff in 1.61 and 1.62 were for DayZ - there were a lot of other fixes too.

Anyway, I hope that you reconsider giving it another go - Arma is such a good game, so much depth that it's worth even getting used to something you don't like. I hate the new 'mouse driving' feature but I am willing to live with it as so many people seem to like it!!!
Jedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #7
wolf413chris

good enough?

havnt played a pc game in years so a bit unsure about my specs.. is my pc too caca for arma 2? i tried the demo and excessive lag (low/normal settings), tried most of the troubleshooting.

emachines et1331g-03w
windows 7 home premuim 64-bit
amd athlon II x2 235e dual-core processor 2.70 ghz
NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
6gb ddr2
directx 9.0 or greater

ive seen some ppl playing on the low settings, and objects at about 100ft or less are tiled and blury (windows / cover ect) and im not willing to do the same. seems like a game like this u r compromising your players security severelly and take away almost all the enjoyablity from this game. thanks in advance.

Last edited by wolf413chris: 08-03-2012 at 07:58 AM.
wolf413chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:01 AM   #8
iLLiCiTMedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf413chris View Post
havnt played a pc game in years so a bit unsure about my specs.. is my pc too caca for arma 2? i tried the demo and excessive lag (low/normal settings), tried most of the troubleshooting.

emachines et1331g-03w
windows 7 home premuim 64-bit
amd athlon II x2 235e dual-core processor 2.70 ghz
NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
6gb ddr2
directx 9.0 or greater

ive seen some ppl playing on the low settings, and objects at about 100ft or less are tiled and blury (windows / cover ect) and im not willing to do the same. seems like a game like this u r compromising your players security severelly and take away almost all the enjoyablity from this game. thanks in advance.
Don't even try.
iLLiCiTMedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:03 AM   #9
Geoffery Dark

Banned
Playing with the sensitivity and smoothing settings in-game, I got rid of all my mouse lag. Turning smoothing off completely is no good, because then it becomes very sharp and jerky. Setting it really high makes the lag really bad.

For me, I just set the sensitivity about 2 clicks higher than default, and the smoothing 1 click lower than default.
Geoffery Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:02 PM   #10
uncle_mcpeanut

Thumbs up

i believe it's only a matter of a exponential or logarithmic function in the arma 2's coding that controls the mouse acceleration. if i'm correct (and i know i am hahahaha)all you will need to do is find the file associated with the mouse acceleration unpack it reveal it's codey goodness(i.e. it's code file) edit it with a c++ editor there's a couple, change the logarithm to an exponential or make it linear(prefer'd for realism), pack it up to it's same file association that it began with and your good (some testing required for fluidity) some coders will know how to do this but I'm lazy lol have fun with and always keep a backup of the original file

posted this here aswell
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...0#post34144830
uncle_mcpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:26 AM   #11
ZoidRyan

This mouse acceleration issue is REALLY NOT acceptable. I will NOT be buying arma 3, as i'm sure many others will not be after this issue.

EASY SOLUTION: Patch Arma 2's mouse problem. Gain more happy fans and make more money in the long run. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Stop being lazy devs and do it for your customers. It's not impossible to patch something after the game has been out, especially as simple as this.
ZoidRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:21 AM   #12
Overclocker_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoidRyan View Post
This mouse acceleration issue is REALLY NOT acceptable. I will NOT be buying arma 3, as i'm sure many others will not be after this issue.

EASY SOLUTION: Patch Arma 2's mouse problem. Gain more happy fans and make more money in the long run. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Stop being lazy devs and do it for your customers. It's not impossible to patch something after the game has been out, especially as simple as this.
Even though I'm struggling to understand what you want, I'll assume that you want ARMA 3 style movement in ARMA 2.

I can tell now that it flat out will not happen. For one, they are focussing on arma 3, and two, the acceleration and aiming deadzone in arma 3 is broken (instant acceleration for aiming deadzone)

Moreso, there's no sense of inertia so you can swing sniper rifles and missile launchers around a the same speed of a pistol.
Overclocker_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:54 PM   #13
DMDmaster

help

I might sound like an idiot but where do i can i find the files that youre supposed to tinker with? They're not in My Documents and i can't find them in the steam folder.
DMDmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > ARMA series