Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Divine Divinity

Old 07-06-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
eagleFMJ

Steam overlay?

I wish the steam overlay worked in this game, anyway to get it to work?

eagle
Old 07-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
Solon25

Try this

Quote:
Go to your DD folder in steam. Right click on the DD executable file / Send to desktop / right click on the desktop icon from DD, copy the path, open steam, go to add a non steam game/ search/ past the dd.exe in/ Add/ run
I've done this with Warhammer Online. It works, but he didn't count's the playtime, only overlay works so
Solon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #3
eagleFMJ

Basically just adding the steam game as a nonsteam game?

I tried this already didn't work, however I just added the dd.exe in the browse not steam game, I didnt do the shortcut send to desktop, would it make a difference?

I am pretty sure the overlay isnt working because of the game being D3D, same thing with D2 and older games, however there is a workaround using an app or something, I never tried it but heard it works.

eagle
eagleFMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
Solon25

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleFMJ View Post
Basically just adding the steam game as a nonsteam game?
yes, have done this with the STEAM Warhammer:O game.

Quote:
I didnt do the shortcut send to desktop, would it make a difference?
yes too

Try it like i postet before.. I buy DD later and try it by myself. I just must end another game.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
Elenoe

well, if it's steam edition game (most of library is) you cannot run it differently. No matter what shortcut you use, it will run steam and use client. In your place I would just check your warhammer setting if that doesn't have overlay just turned off. The other difference between steam/non steam run could be different W7 compatibility package.

Anyway, for Divinity, it uses very old DirectX and overlay ends with

Quote:
Fri Jul 06 22:31:11 2012 UTC - Found GetModuleHandleEx
Fri Jul 06 22:31:11 2012 UTC - Game is using ddraw.dll (dx7 or lower)... hooking.
Fri Jul 06 22:31:11 2012 UTC - DirectDrawCreate hook called, not wrapping old IDirectDraw4 (or older)
which is bad
Elenoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #6
Devil Man X

I just don't get it. I've never had a steam game not like the steam overlay. Anyone know a fix?
Devil Man X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:55 AM   #7
Solon25

I have tried to add DD as non steam game, it works. But the overlay doesn't come.. He only count's our playtime. Thats curios..
Old 07-07-2012, 11:54 PM   #8
Freyar

Will likely need to find a Glide wrapper that can allow for Steam to hook properly.
Freyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:16 AM   #9
Kaldaien

The problem is it uses DirectX 6.0... if you are REALLY desperate one thing you can do is wrap Direct3D6 / DirectDraw6 using OpenGL. This is kind of like Windows on Windows, where the API is re-implemented using a different native API (with performance penalties, of course).

If you download this file: http://www.worldofgothic.de/download.php?id=1186 (this is a workaround for Gothic 2 on crappy nVidia drivers, but it achieves the same effect in Divine Divinity), extract its contents manually using some zip program and then rename ddraw.dll to ddraw6.dll and d3d8.dll to d3d6.dll, and put it in your Divine Divinity folder you CAN get the overlay to work.

Doing this basically runs Wine on Windows, to translate all DirectX graphics calls into OpenGL equivs... the steam overlay has no trouble working in a program that uses OpenGL draw calls, regardless what version.

However, it runs slower than molases going uphill in winter even on my extremely highend machine.

In summary, it is possible both in theory and practice, but definitely not worth it.

Last edited by Kaldaien: 07-09-2012 at 04:19 AM.
Kaldaien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #10
Miltrivd

Thanks for the option and clarification Kaldaien.

Seems like making Steam overlay or Windowed Mode work (which I would like, since Alt-Tab can make a mess) is just not worth the effort. Still, is just an annoyance and an understable one being the game so old. I'm enjoying the game too much to be turned off by this
Miltrivd is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Divine Divinity