Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Divine Divinity

Old 07-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
crosswire

Tips and Tactics.

Thought it would be a good idea if we had a thread for our tips and tactics to sort of help each other out.

My tips for the day are................

- You can drag boxes and crates around(hold left-mouse and drag). A lot of the time there are goodies hidden behinds them.

- Holding down your right ALT key highlights stuff that may be lying around.

- If you have a display of 1920x1080 then try running DD at 1600x900. I think it looks much better.

Last edited by crosswire: 07-07-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
Squidbit

With dragging crates and stuff around, you can also damage enemies by throwing stuff at them, if you ever find yourself without a weapon for some reason.

And, more of an exploit than a feature, as far as I know (although it may have been fixed, the last time I played this was a few years ago with a CD)
Spoiler:
If you use the invisibility skill, normally you right click anywhere, and you turn invisible, then your stamina steadily drops, and walking into light will reveal you. If you use it as an attack, though, and right click on an enemy, your stamina doesn't drop at all, and only interacting with things will make you visible again. You can safely walk into light.
Squidbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
HorrorScope

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosswire View Post
Holding down your right ALT key highlights stuff that may be lying around.
This game really does hide things into the landscape well. Typically in games like somewhat like this (ARPG) I prefer no highlighting because they basically took out all the adventuring in them. This one hides stuff so well... I'm not sure, but still no highlight does keep you a lot more on your toes.

Torchlight 2 beta, I kept the highlights off, trying to add any kind of exploration depth I can find.

Tip: Go into Run mode when fighting if you are playing a ranged character.
HorrorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:40 PM   #4
Vallerion

My tip and biggest stress reliever; Hit CTL S (Quick Save) regularly. Especially right after you level, find a nice item, before you take those those stairs leading down in a dungeon, ect.

You can even use Quick Save before robbing a house blind. Don't like what you found, reload to get a different selection of goods to pilfer.

Quick Save - use it, abuse it, make constant use of it. Since it's an auto save it doesn't overwrite other main save, and it rotates between two different auto save files, just in case you put yourself in a really bad situation with the last auto-save.
Vallerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #5
Solon25

To use hotkeys, open the potion/spellmenue put the mouse button over a potion/spell and press the F 1-12 button. If you want a healing potion on F-1, go with the mouse button over it an press F-1. Now you can see F-1 on the healing potion in the menue

EDIT:
I have fixed this. My mistake, but now it is right.

Last edited by Solon25: 07-08-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Solon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
Raze

Increasing your gamma in the video options will brighten the screen and make it easier to find your way around, especially underground (though you don't want things too bright outside).
Switch the darkness setting to 50 to increase the size of the light radius around your character.

Place notes on the map when you receive a quest or find something of interest. In the first town this is not really required, but after that if you forget exactly where someone who gave you a quest was, it can be a pain to try to track them down so you can report it completed. Some people/places will get marked on your map by the game.

Save before talking to new people or trying to steal; re-loading is a lot easier than trying to build up their opinion if you get caught. You can also try out new skills, etc, and re-load if you don't find them useful.

Save under unique names. Quick saves are convenient for frequent saving as you are battling and clearing out various areas.
If you make a mistake, realize you missed something or run into a bug, you do not want your only save to be after that point. Saving the game under a unique name will give you the option to go back to specific moments. Don't abbreviate too much with names, like I did. I have looked for old saves to check something, get screen shots, etc. and names like 'e4' don't help find the right save very fast. Even if you never make a mistake or encounter a bug, I have backtracked quite a few times to try something different, see if another choice would result in more experience or reputation, etc. Having just a quick save from 10 minutes ago severely limits your ability to experiment.
The saved game folders are relatively large, but older saves can be zipped to free up quite a bit of hard drive space, and really old ones deleted.

As already mentioned you can quick save before clicking on a chest/bookcase/merchant, hitting the alt key or running your mouse over it, and then quick load to see if you can get something better. In most cases this just wastes time for little benefit, but early in the game and for a few key pieces of equipment later, it can really help.

Hit the R key to always run.

There are keys to many locked doors and chests, usually in the general vicinity of what they open. Try to look for keys/levers before using a lockpick. Locked barrels/vases can be smashed open if you click on them in combat mode; no need to waste lockpicks on these.

To split a stack of items, drag and drop it somewhere, but hold the control key down before you drop. A split stack pane will pop up, where you can set how many items you want to transfer.

If you see a pile of something, move it out of the way. Often there will be something under, behind or between whatever is piled up.

Some people find it helpful to use a bow as (or in conjunction with) their main weapon for at least awhile at the start of the game (you do not need to use/find/equip arrows, you just need a bow).

At least the first level in Repair will come in very handy. You don't necessarily want to run away from a big fight to find someone to repair your equipment, and repaired items are worth more (so if you can at least partially fix something, it will help when trading).

Once you get your vitality and mana above 80, you may want to put a skill point in Alchemy and start using restoration potions.

After you go up a couple levels and do not see any available skills that look good, start keeping a couple spare skill points. This can be handy if you realize you could use a skill you do not have, or you need a higher level in one you do.

Loot; steal anything of value that isn't nailed down. Then sell it back to them. Always, always save before trying to loot, enter back rooms of buildings or anything else that might get people ticked off at you. Some back rooms look like private quarters, so there is advance warning, some do not. Some merchants do not care if you wander around or move things, some do.

If you attack a cat (even accidentally), all cats everywhere (except the one in Aleroth you can talk to) will become hostile towards you (same goes for dogs).

Trade with items you do not need, rather than gold. Keep one chest for stuff that has full durability and can be traded for the maximum amount, or divide these into the crappy / broken stuff, and stuff that is worth more. Optionally, toss all the stuff with less than full durability in another chest to be repaired and sold later. I found more than enough broken or full durability equipment at the start of the game; my 'needs-repair' chest became rather full before I was able to max that skill.

Keep a chest for spare food and potions, so you don't carry around too much weight. Meat / bread (health) and chicken (mana) were the only food I kept; other stuff can temporarily increase stats (ie alcohol increases strength and drops intelligence, fish increases intelligence). Some find this handy to use before a big fight; I sold them.

You can set up a home base anywhere you wish, though for convenience sake you should consider the proximity of the nearest teleporter pad and merchants. Some people consider aesthetics, as well (with a few using the cursed abbey for its atmosphere and relatively handy teleporter pad). I gave a screenshot and description of my base in the topic Houses And their owners (playing again I'd probably move near Ars Magicana).

Leave one teleporter stone at your base and and carry the other with you, and you will have a quick way to return in order to sleep, drop off loot, buy potions / equipment and then get back to where you left off. Make sure you pick up the teleporter stone that you dropped before continuing your explorations.

You can combine 2 stacks of straw to make a hay bed (if you combine them on the ground you can not move it afterwards, but it can be made inside a container or directly in your inventory). I think you have to drag and drop a bundle of straw onto an unbundled pile of straw, or something like that (click on a bundle of straw to unbundle it, and vise versa). There is also one movable bed in the game:
Spoiler:
in a house a bit north of the cursed abbey.
As you progress in the game you'll likely build up enough restoration potions that you will no longer bother with sleeping.

You can buy a house in Verdistis after you do an associated quest. However, it is not in the greatest location, so I only bought it to complete that quest.

You can drop or move any items and they will remain where placed. While some people spread things out on the ground (gems can be used for lighting around your home base at night, for example), many prefer to collect a few chests (or other types of containers) to store stuff in.

If you find anything with a spell bonus in Repair, Alchemy, Identify, Pickpocket (need level one or two later) keep them. I had 2 levels in Repair, and three items with a Repair bonus, so I could batch repair things completely, and toss them in a chest to be sold for their maximum value.

Last edited by Raze: 07-12-2012 at 11:19 PM. Reason: remove tip: menu bar can not be minimized in Steam version
Raze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:24 AM   #7
BeerSeeker

Don't use F4 as a keybidding for your spells so you don't accidentally ALT+F4 while you are looking for stuff around...

Also use the larger fonts for high resolution if you don't want to go blind.

This said, is there a way to keep the item highlight always on?
BeerSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:00 AM   #8
Raze

There is no option in the game itself to keep the item highlight on. Someone wrote a script to repeatedly send alt key presses to the game, though.

Script to auto quicksave and show special objects
Old 07-12-2012, 04:36 PM   #9
defluxx

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerSeeker View Post
Also use the larger fonts for high resolution if you don't want to go blind.
OMG, THANK YOU! I have been playing at 800x600 just so I don't have to press my face into my monitor to read any dialogue. Huzzah! I wish I was able to give rep.
defluxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #10
Solon25

Got your own bed in inventory!

Go along left side at the abbey. There will come a house. In the house is a bed, you can pick up it and put it in your inventory. This bed has 0 weight. I've used it at some places in the world
Old 07-12-2012, 09:03 PM   #11
Atech66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallerion View Post
My tip and biggest stress reliever; Hit CTL S (Quick Save) regularly. Especially right after you level, find a nice item, before you take those those stairs leading down in a dungeon, ect.

You can even use Quick Save before robbing a house blind. Don't like what you found, reload to get a different selection of goods to pilfer.

Quick Save - use it, abuse it, make constant use of it. Since it's an auto save it doesn't overwrite other main save, and it rotates between two different auto save files, just in case you put yourself in a really bad situation with the last auto-save.
I agree whole heartedly lol nothing worse than clearing a huge piece of land from the fog of war and dieing. CTL S!!
Atech66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:08 PM   #12
defluxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raze View Post
You can right click on the menu bar on the bottom of the screen to minimize it to three lines (for health, mana and stamina), and right click on the lines to bring back the full menu bar.
This doesn't seem to be working for me. Have you tried this on Steam version? I've clicked around on the UI located bottom-center of the screen and no changes.
defluxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:18 PM   #13
Raze

Actually, I hadn't tried minimizing the menu bar in the latest version. That can be done in the GOG version, but apparently was disabled in the Steam version. Maybe it caused too many problems with people doing it accidentally, and more people are playing in higher resolutions, where there is less benefit to getting rid of the UI?
I'll edit that out of my post...

EDIT: I checked; this was deliberately disabled because it caused more confusion than it helped.

Last edited by Raze: 07-13-2012 at 01:54 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:59 AM   #14
Solon25

I have found some potions sometimes, but i don't know for what they are.

1 big purple potion and 1 small and 1 big drug potion. Anyone know what happens when i use them?
Old 07-22-2012, 04:27 AM   #15
Raze

The super drug potion gives a temporary resistance effect (+100 poison, -100 spiritual). It can be created from Drudanae herbs.
A purple potion gives a temporary resistance boost, while a purple (or grey) elixir recovers a minor amount of health and mana.

Alchemy Spoiler Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Divine Divinity