Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Ship, The

Old 07-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
zomcalom

Server Not Responding!

Hello, when ever I try to connect to my friends game, it comes up with "Server Not Responding". I have already tried port forwarding and disabling firewalls and such, But nothing seems to fix it!

I am able to connect to other games such as team fortress 2 with them, I am also able to join games from the server browser that are not my friends game. Can somebody please help!
Old 07-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
kijib

same problem for me, what should I do?
kijib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
wickedtech

sounds like a firewall/port forwarding issue.

My friends had the same issue connecting to my server till I moved the PC with my dedicated server to the DMZ zone of my router, thus taking it out of the firewall protection.

You can also forward the specific ports to the ip of your server, but I was lazy and just used the DMZ options since the server is not my main PC.

Good luck
wickedtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
zomcalom

Question: What is a DMZ zone and how would I go about setting it up?
zomcalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
wickedtech

DMZ=Demilitarized Zone

It just means that the PC is outside the protection of your router/firewall.

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/expla...arding-dmz.asp

Exactly how you configure your router will vary model to model but the link above should get you started.

Good luck

EDIT: Keep in mind this does expose your PC to intruders; the other option is to forward the specific ports needed by the game to your server.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
zomcalom

I figured out one thing, if I bypass the router people are able to join my games including friends, but I am still not able to join there's.

Update: Now I can't even create a server, it freezes after trying to load "Loading resources".

Last edited by zomcalom: 07-17-2012 at 05:59 PM.
zomcalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:27 AM   #7
PieCoPresident

Quote:
Originally Posted by zomcalom View Post
I figured out one thing, if I bypass the router people are able to join my games including friends, but I am still not able to join there's.

Update: Now I can't even create a server, it freezes after trying to load "Loading resources".
For you not being able to join others, make sure THEY did the same thing you did.

I had the same "Loading Resources" problem for a while, What seems to be the problem is the steam beta. Open steam, Click the "Steam" Tab, Go to "Settings" And change "Beta participation" To "None", And restart steam. Have no idea why steam beta would break source servers, but yeah.

Also, how did you fix "Server not responding"? I do the specific ports, and for some reason it continues to say the same thing when people try to join. I did every port any source game seems to use, (27000-27032) And what someone said was the game port, (1200)

Hope i helped,
hope you can help me,
PieCoPresident
EDIT: apparently it works using the dedicated server tool... Bit inconvenient, but it's better than nothing. Well I'm clear of all my problems

Last edited by PieCoPresident: 07-20-2012 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Found fix
PieCoPresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:32 PM   #8
wickedtech

I know I said I had put my server in the DMZ zone of my router/firewall but since it is also a security risk, I got off my lazy aas and found the correct ports to forward.

(Actually Verizon replaced my router this morning so I had to reconfigure it anyways)

Here are the specific ports I forwarded and my server has people on it since then so it must be working. (Personally I can only join my server thru the local IP, it does not show up in my internet games, but I do have it in my Favorites and History but with the Local IP)

[UDP] 1200 (used for Steam's Friends service)
[UDP] 27000 to 27015 (so that means all ports in between too)
[TCP] 27030 to 27039 (idem)
=> these are all Steam related ports

[UDP] 27015 and 27020 (default DS port, also used for HLTV)
[TCP] 27015 (you want to forward this for RCON access)

My Steam friends have to join my server thru the server browser, not by joining the the game I am in since I use the local server IP and they use my real WAN IP.

Good luck...

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Ship, The