Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Old 07-10-2012, 07:03 AM   #16
Dinosaur_Rex

Banned
Dunno, my brother got one without the gifted text for a bills...so, 6 keys for a dirty one? I don't know.
Dinosaur_Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:04 AM   #17
infinitemagick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parralelex View Post
There was a glitch that allowed a person to double their unusual a while back. Generally they're worth less if they can be found to be duped.
Though this is true, there was a glitch that allowed items to be duped, the vast majority of dupes did not occur through this glitch but rather by Steam restoring the backpacks of people who were victims of having their accounts hijacked and unusuals stolen. The dupe glitch was only during a small window after Steam trading and in game trading were using completely different interfaces and most of the duped items were known: max head, houwar, earbuds, and a few unusuals one being a Blizzardy Drill Sgt but this wasn't a widespread thing.
infinitemagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:05 AM   #18
Splosion

Ah, this question...

I love answering this question.

Let me start off by saying,
THE DUPING GLITCH HAS BEEN FIXED STOP YOUR WHINING!

That isn't directed at you OP but the traders throwing around terms like "duped" and "clean" to justify lowballing / overpricing. Technically there is NO SUCH THING AS A DUPED ITEM ANYMORE. Unless it is in the rare case of support granted items. You see back when duping was still happening steam support found themselves bombarded by people asking for "ID scrubbing". This was basically them asking steam support to remove the duped unusual and give them a clean support granted dupe...

There ended up being so many requests that one day Valve decided to just wipe out all item history on every item thus making every dupe in existence clean. So if you ever see someone throwing around that term, feel free to call them a greedy idiot and move along. Or better yet take them into a UHC server and ask them to ask in voice chat for a price check on "X duped hat" then sit back and listen to them be ridiculed mercilessly.
Splosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:05 AM   #19
Detweiler

Am I like the only schmuck that has unusuals to wear them?

I must be.
Detweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:07 AM   #20
Trilby Hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyzipp View Post
my favorite is that "uncraftable" taunt miscs are worth FAR less than "craftable" ones..... THAT MAKES NO SENSE
Totally agree. Nobody in their right mind would craft any taunt with another hat and if you are buying a taunt you are generally buying it to keep and use.
Trilby Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:09 AM   #21
Splosion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detweiler View Post
Am I like the only schmuck that has unusuals to wear them?

I must be.
Nope, all my unusuals were bought specifically to wear. I never traded for a single one I wouldn't wear because it would mean profit since they're a nightmare to resell.
Splosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:14 AM   #22
ToxicPuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splosion View Post
There ended up being so many requests that one day Valve decided to just wipe out all item history on every item thus making every dupe in existence clean. So if you ever see someone throwing around that term, feel free to call them a greedy idiot and move along. Or better yet take them into a UHC server and ask them to ask in voice chat for a price check on "X duped hat" then sit back and listen to them be ridiculed mercilessly.
You're misinformed, sir. Duped items still exist. If VALVe "one day decided to just wipe out all item history on every item thus making every dupe in existence clean", two of the same hat (same Original Item ID and Level) wouldn't exist. Yet they still do.

Check these backpacks:
~ http://www.tf2outpost.com/backpack/31984
~ http://www.tf2outpost.com/backpack/12212

Level 6 Hearts Team Captain in both. Original ID: 296838573

There are many, many more examples, of this (which I can provide upon request). The duped items still exist.

I do hold the opinion that dupes shouldn't decrease value, however. Dupes USED to be de-valued due to the risk of deletion, but VALVe have confirmed that they won't delete any more duped items ( LINK ). No risk of deletion = no reason to cut price.

Last edited by ToxicPuppy: 07-10-2012 at 08:19 AM.
ToxicPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:18 AM   #23
Geotpf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinosaur_Rex View Post
Dunno, my brother got one without the gifted text for a bills...so, 6 keys for a dirty one? I don't know.
Depends on the Unusual. Regular Unusuals that cost a Bill's are not uncommon; I've bought two myself for about a Bill's each. But a Gifted Flaming Team Captain would still cost tens of Buds.
Geotpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #24
Geotpf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicPuppy View Post
You're misinformed, sir. Duped items still exist. If VALVe "one day decided to just wipe out all item history on every item thus making every dupe in existence clean", two of the same hat (same Original Item ID and Level) wouldn't exist. Yet they still do.

Check these backpacks:
~ http://www.tf2outpost.com/backpack/31984
~ http://www.tf2outpost.com/backpack/12212

Level 6 Hearts Team Captain in both. Original ID: 296838573

There are many, many more examples, of this (which I can provide upon request). The duped items still exist.

I do hold the opinion that dupes shouldn't decrease value, however. Dupes USED to be de-valued due to the risk of deletion, but VALVe have confirmed that they won't delete any more duped items ( LINK ). No risk of deletion = no reason to cut price.
I agree that there should be no reason to devalue dups, but many people still value them less.
Geotpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:22 AM   #25
Cheeser

Banned
Quote:
my favorite is that "uncraftable" taunt miscs are worth FAR less than "craftable" ones..... THAT MAKES NO SENSE
Who knows but hey thanks to this craftable thing i got nine-pipe for 2 keys instead of 4.
Cheeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:55 AM   #26
Ded-

Banned
who cares if they are duped or not
just some numbers on it
that you cant even see
Ded- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:02 AM   #27
vocalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamander F2 View Post
The whole 'extra text on an item = less value" thing is a load of carp anyways. If you're going to say that an uncraftable weapon is worthless, don't then also say that an uncraftable Vita Saw is worth 8 keys.

Hypocrites.
blame spread sheeeet!

ha! ha!
vocalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #28
'ello'

Regarding the gifting of unusuals - didn't look like it had been mentioned but people have gifted unusuals when they just unboxed it with a key that was not yet tradable so the unusual is not tradeable for a few days.

In this case when a shark smells blood in the water they will have the newb giftwrap the unusual as to not lose the chance of sharking the unusual before it becomes tradable.
'ello' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #29
pirox1

Quote:
Lol, I am thankful for that.
Got my schadenfreude really cheap.
pirox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #30
2560x1600@120hz

"Get your hands off of me your dirty duped Unusual!"
2560x1600@120hz is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2