Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Left 4 Dead 2

Old 07-12-2012, 05:37 AM   #1
pigosso

Replace a file in vpk

I successfully realized to play in splitscreen
But now i was trying to play in eyefinity (2 monitors)

But i need to modify splitscreen_config file located in pak01_dir
i tried to make an add-on file (vpk) with the edited file, but it doesn't work (probably it continues to load even the original version)
then some server wouldn't allow me to join if i directly modify pak01_dir

so any idea to load only my version?
Old 07-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
ajs410

Did you re-create the folder structure in your new vpk?

Did you include all the files needed?

I would tear apart a known-working VPK to make sure you understand how it works.
ajs410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:08 AM   #3
pigosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs410 View Post
Did you re-create the folder structure in your new vpk?

Did you include all the files needed?

I would tear apart a known-working VPK to make sure you understand how it works.
the only file i'm trying to edit is splitscreen_config.txt located in the root of l4d, there isn't any folder structure
but the game seem to not load my modified file
pigosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:21 AM   #4
irogue

Grab this tool: http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?p=25

About: GCFScape is an explorer like utility that enables users to browse Half-Life packages and extract their contents. GCFScape supports .bsp, .gcf, .ncf, .pak, .vpk, .wad and .xzp packages and runs independently of Steam.
irogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
pigosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by irogue View Post
Grab this tool: http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?p=25

About: GCFScape is an explorer like utility that enables users to browse Half-Life packages and extract their contents. GCFScape supports .bsp, .gcf, .ncf, .pak, .vpk, .wad and .xzp packages and runs independently of Steam.
i already have it installed and i already use it to open my vpk file
it has the same "structure" of "pak01_dir.vpk" but it seems to not replace its files
Old 07-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #6
ProdigySim

Are there reports of other users using this method? It's possible that the file gets loaded before addons. Perhaps there's a command to reload this file you could run manually, later.

Edit: From what I can tell, this file is read once when the client is initialized. So, making an addon might not work.

If you're not super concerned about sv_consistency checks (I don't think you can play online with splitscreen anyway so this shouldn't be an issue) you can try simply opening pak01_000.vpk in a hex editor or a good text editor and looking for the part that contains splitscreen_config.txt (search for some content).

Since there are other files in pak01_000.vpk, you'll want to make sure that you don't add or remove any length to the splitscreen_config.txt section. For every character you delete, you must add another. If you want to add a character, you must delete some other. This is where a hex editor will work better. Luckily there should be plenty of spacing and commenting for you to add/remove.

Last edited by ProdigySim: 07-20-2012 at 10:14 AM.
ProdigySim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:41 AM   #7
pigosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigySim View Post
Are there reports of other users using this method? It's possible that the file gets loaded before addons. Perhaps there's a command to reload this file you could run manually, later.

Edit: From what I can tell, this file is read once when the client is initialized. So, making an addon might not work.

If you're not super concerned about sv_consistency checks (I don't think you can play online with splitscreen anyway so this shouldn't be an issue) you can try simply opening pak01_000.vpk in a hex editor or a good text editor and looking for the part that contains splitscreen_config.txt (search for some content).

Since there are other files in pak01_000.vpk, you'll want to make sure that you don't add or remove any length to the splitscreen_config.txt section. For every character you delete, you must add another. If you want to add a character, you must delete some other. This is where a hex editor will work better. Luckily there should be plenty of spacing and commenting for you to add/remove.
ok i found the line in the pak01_000.vpk and i'm going to replace them... i'm only disappointed for all this things to do to edit 2 digits in a text file -.-
however could i be vac banned to have hex edit that file?
(i know that obviously sv_pure server won't let me enter)

Last edited by pigosso: 07-20-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:46 PM   #8
ProdigySim

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigosso View Post
ok i found the line in the pak01_000.vpk and i'm going to replace them... i'm only disappointed for all this things to do to edit 2 digits in a text file -.-
however could i be vac banned to have hex edit that file?
(i know that obviously sv_pure server won't let me enter)
You're not going to get VAC'd for that as far as I know. You really have to try pretty hard (e.g. doing code memory patches) to get VAC banned. Worst case, you don't get allowed into some server.
ProdigySim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #9
jerroldsimb

I'm also trying to modify the splitscreen_config.txt file in pak01_000.vpk...

I can open the dir.vpk but that just opens everything, how can i edit the one file and have it save in the correct vpk?

when i extract the dir.vpk its over 2GB, the pak01_000.vpk is just over 200mb

thanks much trying to play coop over 2 screens
jerroldsimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:42 AM   #10
pigosso

dir.vpk seems to bee a "linker" which let you open others vpk
from there you can extract the file, which is physically stored in pak01_000.vpk
i managed to hex edit it... but a vpk mod or any other way to modify it would be appreciated
Old 09-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #11
jerroldsimb

right but which files belong to pak01_000.vpk? if i rebuild it will be 2GB and im not sure thatll work :P

Or if you could describe how you edited it with a Hex editor that would be fine as well

Thanks
Old 09-27-2012, 05:09 AM   #12
pigosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerroldsimb View Post
right but which files belong to pak01_000.vpk? if i rebuild it will be 2GB and im not sure thatll work :P

Or if you could describe how you edited it with a Hex editor that would be fine as well

Thanks
wasn't you seeking splitscreen_config?
i can't understand what are you saying
how can you rebuild pak01_000.vpk ?
Old 09-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #13
jerroldsimb

ok i just downloaded a hex editor called HxD, opened the 000 vpk and searched for "8 by 9" - and replaced it with "16 by 9"

Make sure you *dont* use backspace to delete or else it changes the file size (i got corruption this way)

saved the vpk and it worked fine.

Last edited by jerroldsimb: 09-28-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:39 AM   #14
pigosso

yes that was the right way
but i was asking in this thread, if there were some more elegant method to do this, like a vpk addon or something similar

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Left 4 Dead 2