Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Old 07-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
D3xter

Could you please stop riding Facebook so hard?

Every sales event there's got to be one of those "Connect your Facebook to us" things that annoys the bejeezus out of me and other people (since I'm not going to make one ever, and if dozens of real friends haven't managed to make me give up my privacy Steam won't either, and there's enough reasons not to do it).

You already got the address and names of most people anyway since there needs to be a shipping address whenever you purchase something, what POSSIBLE reason would there be for this and how the hell does connecting it to Steam have anything to do with "community"?

Why don't you focus on your own services and offerings and rewarding those instead of cross-promoting some one of the most horrible IT companies out there?

Thanks
Old 07-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
Heaven_Mail

I dontl ike facebook .. and woudl rather not link my accoutn but did it anyway...

I dont like faceboo kad I have a store based on facebook completely.

I guess I was born to be unhappy and misserable

sarcasm/
Heaven_Mail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
kijib

10/10
kijib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #4
anandus

1. Don't connect to Facebook
or
2. Make a fake Facebook-account and connect to that.

I don't see the problem.

(And if you don't see the value in connecting to Facebook for Steam then you're missing something, Facebook is an ideal marketing tool for companies. And for us users ideal to stay up to date with sales and such )
anandus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #5
bluz74

I look at at as the less anonymous players can be, the less d-bags you'll have in MP games.
bluz74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
Miraglyth

Agreed with this guy. Facebook doesn't offer anything to Steam so this reeks of pointless bandwagoning that they force to be mandatory. I've done the other 13 activities, but I'm not willing to add to Zuckerberg's ego for the last and if that means not getting a badge and whatever reward it offers, then I'll be proud to miss out.

At the very least if they're going to mandate use of non-Steam sites, they could be fair about it and include Twitter, G+ and the like and allow you to choose any one of them. But no, it's gotta be Facebook...
Miraglyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
Actizn

I'm fine with the option being there, but I'd rather not have it being presented as an 'achievement' of sorts. I have no intention to do it, and I'm probably not going to bother with Pillar of Community because of it.
Actizn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #8
DarkByke

Pretty sure there isn't a connect to facebook on the summer sales????
DarkByke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:34 AM   #9
Seti18

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandus View Post
1. Don't connect to Facebook
or
2. Make a fake Facebook-account and connect to that.

I don't see the problem.

(And if you don't see the value in connecting to Facebook for Steam then you're missing something, Facebook is an ideal marketing tool for companies. And for us users ideal to stay up to date with sales and such )
Few things tick me off more than corporate marketing. I don't need to be marketed anything. When I want something, I'll look into it any buy it. Anything Steam has on sale they put on their front page anyway.
Seti18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #10
Rooster425

Why does it matter? You don't HAVE to, it doesn't remind you all the time, "Hey, maybe you should link your Facebook profile!" whenever you log on. If you don't want to, then just don't. It's entirely optional and your refusal to do so does not impede your Steam experience.

Quote:
You already got the address and names of most people anyway since there needs to be a shipping address whenever you purchase something, what POSSIBLE reason
Oh yeah, I'm sure Valve is doing it so that they can stalk you and find out things about your personal life.

Quote:
and how the hell does connecting it to Steam have anything to do with "community"?
Pretty sure the point is to find the Steam accounts of your friends. Because I don't always ask everyone I know for their Steam accounts, or people I know from high school and rarely talk to, but end up gaming with as a result of the integration. Or friends I meet at conventions and . Because seriously, linking my account has never led to there being anything on Facebook sent to me or posted on my wall. It's just to find the accounts of Facebook friends.

Quote:
Why don't you focus on your own services and offerings and rewarding those instead of cross-promoting some one of the most horrible IT companies out there?
It's hardly cross-promotion at all. Facebook is a big thing, one that the majority of internet-based services offer some sort of integration for. Steam's is remarkably un-invasive and 100% optional. Last winter, not doing so would have meant you didn't a coal. Oh no.

Putting an option for something you don't like into a service is not by itself something to complain about. That you actually believe Steam's uninvasive and completely understated Facebook account tying feature is to the detriment of them focusing on their own services is, frankly, amazing.
Rooster425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #11
bowmoq

Banned
Stupid thread is stupid.

Don't like Facebook, don't use it. It's not like someone is pointing a gun at your head to force you to get a badge by linking your steam profile to facebook
bowmoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:38 AM   #12
Miraglyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster425 View Post
Why does it matter? You don't HAVE to
The badges are probably going to have a use soon and even if you do the other 13 activities, you need Facebook for them to count.
Miraglyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:38 AM   #13
thecooldude507

Although I do think the idea of linking your Facebook account is great, it should not be an achievement for the Summer Sale. However, i do not have a Facebook account and do not plan to make one. This is currently stopping me and others who don't have Facebook accounts.
thecooldude507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #14
pokedex2536

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraglyth View Post
The badges are probably going to have a use soon and even if you do the other 13 activities, you need Facebook for them to count.
You still don't have to though. If you don't want to do it don't do it, missing out on a little thing if you hate facebook so much doesn't matter
pokedex2536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #15
beatme101

It is rather annoying that Steam's doing this, but Facebook is probably paying for this advertising (along with all the other advertising Steam and some other sites give it).

I hope there's no reward people get for getting that badge, because those of us who aren't foolish enough to sign up to facebook can't get it.
beatme101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion