Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 07-13-2012, 12:00 AM   #1
PlagueOfCats

"There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction." Etc.

EDIT: SOLVED.

How to fix the problem, for me:

"-Exit Steam, then go to the location that Steam is installed to. By default this is C:\Program Files\Steam directory (this is the default with a Steam installation - if you set a different installation directory, you will need to browse to it).
-Delete all of the files except for:
Steam.exe
And the folder \SteamApps\
-Restart your computer and test the issue."

I was told that by Steam support, tried it and it worked. I hope this helps you in time!

"There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance." This is the message I receive when trying to purchase any Steam game.

I've confirmed that restarting Steam doesn't affect the problem.
I've confirmed that trying to repurchase the game in a browser instead of through Steam itself doesn't affect the problem.
I've confirmed that the error isn't with purchasing one specific game as a gift, but with purchasing *any* game as a gift, even after clearing my cart, both in a browser and through Steam.
I've confirmed that resetting my modem, router and computer doesn't affect the problem.
I've confirmed that the problem doesn't have to do with using PayPal to pay for it, since using a debit card results in exactly the same problem.

Steam support's response:

"Our records indicate that this transaction is pending. Please allow an hour or two for it to try to settle (normally this is instantaneous). If it still isn't working, try your purchase again."

I've now allowed 11+ hours. Still no luck.

"If using PayPal as your payment method, make sure that you hit the "Return to Merchant" button after you have finished filling in your billing information. Do not press your back button."

Impossible advice to follow, since I can't even get up to that screen. The "There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance." message blocks me just before reaching that step.

"Additionally, you could try completing your purchase through a web browser instead of through the Steam application."

I have tried this around 10 times now.

Has anyone managed to overcome this problem? If so, how did you do it?

Last edited by PlagueOfCats: 07-13-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:32 AM   #2
Grimsonfart

Same problem. Im using an iPad, and i am on vacation in france.... hope this gets fixed...
Grimsonfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
KaiUno

Same problem here on vacation in Spain. Won't work on android tablet as an app, nor in the browser. Even on the laptop it's a no-go. In the end I made a Citrix connection to my job to get in on the sales. Pretty sure it's a region thing, but I would've appreciated a heads-up. This makes the app completely useless, if you ask me. Have app, will travel, and all that :-)
KaiUno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:01 AM   #4
Sakori

Same issue, can't even get past the payment select screen (ie, paypal, visa etc) before coming across this error. Currently on holiday in Denmark.

edit: Mine is for buying anything, not just as a gift.

Last edited by Sakori: 07-13-2012 at 09:02 AM. Reason: More info
Sakori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
Makenboshi

same here, tried other 5 ways of payment, 3 browsers, still no luck
Makenboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
the licensee

Same here and I'm on the same PC I always use. Tried several devices, browsers and reinstalling steam with no luck.

I managed to set up another account and gift myself a game but when I tried it again with one of the daily deals I git the same message.

Coming up to 24 hours now.
the licensee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #7
Zero86SK

I got the same when tried to add funds to my steam wallet

- Go to xxx's account and transaction history,
If you see your laters transaction as Pending you have to wait till it says failed
Zero86SK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #8
PlagueOfCats

SOLVED.

"-Exit Steam, then go to the location that Steam is installed to. By default this is C:\Program Files\Steam directory (this is the default with a Steam installation - if you set a different installation directory, you will need to browse to it).
Steam.exe

I was told that by Steam support, tried it and it worked. I hope this helps you in time!
PlagueOfCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #9
boswelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlagueOfCats View Post
SOLVED.

Steam.exe
Stupid question but if i delete everything but steam.exe how will Steam run again after restarting my system? Logically it'll need a full reinstall of steamclient before you can test the issue
boswelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #10
dioksy

Didn't work for me.
Also i dont know why but steam for me recently went from euros to pounds and i still have 0.10 euros in my wallet, maybe that is the issue

Last edited by dioksy: 07-13-2012 at 03:09 PM.
dioksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:11 PM   #11
boswelli

Didn't work for me either. This "solution" also kills every game i've ever downloaded even if it's still in SteamApps-Dir included

Can't recommend this hint to anyone!
boswelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #12
dioksy

Well it didn't kill the games for me, only had to readd icons to the shortcuts, but ffs i tried a different account and i didnt work, and the game i want to buy will be out of the flash deals in about 3 hours
Old 07-13-2012, 05:27 PM   #13
phkuxato

I just had the same problem again but it worked in Firefox. It's only failing in the Steam browser.
phkuxato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #14
dioksy

I even tried it with IE and nothing FFS STEAM GET YOU S**T TO TOGETHER
Old 07-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #15
phkuxato

Here's another idea. Try deleting the files in Steam\config\cookies\ and Steam\config\htmlcache\ and restarting Steam.
phkuxato is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips