Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V

Old 07-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
Trance104

Why can't you play Skyrim offline?

I don't understand.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
shadenox

You can, switch Steam into offline mode and you don't need to be online.
shadenox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
Trance104

So how do I switch steam into offline mode if I can't get steam online?
Trance104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
Breton Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance104 View Post
So how do I switch steam into offline mode if I can't get steam online?
Not sure why you cannot get online with Steam, but to go into OffLine without ever going into Steam just turn your PC off, disconnect or just turn off however your Internet gets into your PC.

Then turn your PC back on, Steam should throw up a popup saying "cannot go online" do you want to play Offline, answer yes.

Question: why can you not get Steam online?

Ah, reading Maintenancemans post underneath I'm now wondering if you do/do not have the Internet?

Last edited by Breton Warrior: 07-13-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Breton Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:48 PM   #5
MaintenanceMan

The question I often ask and get no reasonable answer to is why is it widely assumed that all people have access to the Internet all the time?

[rant mode]
What if you lived in a remote area and access was not avaiable or you just choose (heaven forbid) that you do not want the Internet.

I bet you could probably count on one hand how many recent single player games (say in the last 2 years) that can be bought off the shelf and installed on a PC with no Internet required.

[/rant mode]

I am staggered to see that in this modern day of electronic everything that many old aged pensioners wont turn on their heaters due to the high cost of gas and electricity but they can find or have to find enough money each month for an Internet connection.. :S
MaintenanceMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:08 PM   #6
shadenox

They would probably run since they're installed. They just wouldn't update till you are online, same as Skyrim it's self.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #7
Trance104

Ahh... GOG... I purchased the Baldur's Gate series for some old school RPG action.
Trance104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:10 AM   #8
Artemis Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadenox View Post
They would probably run since they're installed. They just wouldn't update till you are online, same as Skyrim it's self.
OK, cheers! I will give that a shot when my son isn't online. We share a connection and he might not be amused if I turn it off for a session of Skyrim.

@Trance104,
I love the BG series, I have some fond memories there. If you like those games, you might also want to consider Planescape Torment, if you haven't already tried it. I still play all of them.

Last edited by Artemis Noir: 07-14-2012 at 12:13 AM.
Artemis Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:19 AM   #9
shadenox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis Noir View Post
OK, cheers! I will give that a shot when my son isn't online. We share a connection and he might not be amused if I turn it off for a session of Skyrim.

@Trance104,
I love the BG series, I have some fond memories there. If you like those games, you might also want to consider Planescape Torment, if you haven't already tried it. I still play all of them.
No, probably not. I remember the internet dropping out on me once during a bout of ME3 multiplayer with my other half. Tends to be annoying and ME3 being one of the few games we can play together, since the other half loves the shooters and ME has the adept option for someone like me who's not big on them.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:05 AM   #10
Breton Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance104 View Post
I do have the internet... Most of the time. When Steam asks me to play in Offline mode, I can't click on a yes or no. It doesn't load anything and I'm stuck without Skyrim until I get back to an area with internet. :'0(

My friend torrented the game and plays without worry. Online or offline.
That's is odd as I can unplug my USB WiFi before I turn my PC on and after I get into Windows Steam always pops up "cannot go online" do you Blah Blah.

O/K try the other way, when you do have the Internet and I assume Steam is fine open Steam up and set it to Offline Mode, you can only do it manually like this when your are online??? Yes you have to be online to be able to set it manually to Offline???

Once you get into Offline mode just do not ever let it go back online again (if you can that is)

@Artemis Noir, all mods from the Workshop will still work in Offline Mode, in fact you can unsubscribe your Mods and still use them, it will only turn them off for you in Data Files so just turn them back on.
Breton Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:34 AM   #11
mrcalhou

When you get to a place that has internet (like most McDonald's since that's usually open 24 hours), connect steam online, then, go to the top left hand corner and click on the word steam, then click go offline.

If you ever go online with steam, you will have to make sure that before you leave the area with internet that you go offline again or you'll have the same trouble.
mrcalhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:41 AM   #12
sarojz

If I want to go Offline which is hardley ever I just click in Steam--->Go Offline, it's that simple however if your internet ever chokes, hiccups or goes down while you are attempting to switch to offline mode and you have synch to cloud enabled you will be caught in a perpetual cycle of Steam unable to synch and will not let you go offline until it does. Very frustrating. Disable synch before you attempt Offline mode as a percaution.

Last edited by sarojz: 07-14-2012 at 09:28 PM.
sarojz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:07 AM   #13
whitelion1284

I find this very odd. I routinely firewall STEAM to prevent it from stealth updating my game. It simply defaults into offline mode. I also have several mods from the workshop and they play just fine ... better in fact without STEAM trying to get it's fingers into my load order. I actually have another program that saves my load order and denies the launcher the ability to meddle.

So I have a couple of questions and a suggestion because I think I know what's going on.

@ the OP,
First, I believe you are going to need to connect to the internet once more to meddle with STEAM so it can't meddle with you. When you do you will have to sign in. Then instead of launching your game click on the "Steam" scroll down menu in the top left. Click on "Properties." Make sure a box that says "Do not save account details to this computer" or something like it is NOT checked. Once you do that there is an option on the main scroll down menu to play in offline mode. As long as you're set up to preserve your login information ON YOUR COMPUTER you should be fine. If Steam doesn't connect it's no biggie.

Regarding mods from Steam Workshop. Those are easy. Subscribe. Launch once to download. Unsubscribe. You still have the mod. It just won't be updated until you subscribe again.

Cheers
whitelion1284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:16 AM   #14
bdd458

You know, I can kind of agree with people not wanting automatic updates, but the other half makes me want to choke them.

Yes, some mods can be broken and never get updated (Seen a lot with Minecraft) so that's where I'm understanding.

But I had an epiphany earlier this year after I bought a boxed copy of Silent Hunter IV: Wolves of the Pacific. I had been playing unpatched for a while, and then I decided I'd download the patches. What a world of a difference, fixed a lot of bugs, made it stabler, fixed UI issues, and many many other things. I realized that it is pretty much essential to patch, and even better when it does it automatically.

But that's just my humble .02.

Have a nice day.
bdd458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #15
bobczes

It's not an epiphany that patches fix games. Especially unmodded games.
bobczes is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V