Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 07-16-2012, 02:40 AM   #1
Xialoh11

Best controller for PC?

I'm looking to buy one in the next day or so, preferably for $30 or less. I've had some recommendations, but came to a bit of a dead end with it. I'm looking into the Logitech F310, a standard xbox 360 controller, a standard PS3 controller, and this:

http://www.amazon.com/Air-Flo-Contro...pr_product_top

I rather like the look of that Air Flo controller, but will pass on it if it's an inferior product. My biggest issue is with these dead zones I keep hearing about. And aside from deadzones, I hear of issues with xinput and directinput. What do I get to avoid any problems?
Old 07-16-2012, 03:43 AM   #2
borg_7_of_9

Xbox 360 is the best IMHO
borg_7_of_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:47 AM   #3
TeKraken

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg_7_of_9 View Post
Xbox 360 is the best IMHO
Another vote, might as well stump up for an original version too. Not a cheap knock off.
TeKraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:55 AM   #4
rocketsurgeon66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xialoh11 View Post
I'm looking to buy one in the next day or so, preferably for $30 or less. I've had some recommendations, but came to a bit of a dead end with it. I'm looking into the Logitech F310, a standard xbox 360 controller, a standard PS3 controller, and this:

http://www.amazon.com/Air-Flo-Contro...pr_product_top

I rather like the look of that Air Flo controller, but will pass on it if it's an inferior product. My biggest issue is with these dead zones I keep hearing about. And aside from deadzones, I hear of issues with xinput and directinput. What do I get to avoid any problems?
I'm quite happy with my Logitech F510. From the research I did before buying, it seemed like the best compromise between price, functionality and the feedback from owners.
rocketsurgeon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:01 AM   #5
CassSophFan

Just got a Wii Classic Controller Pro and an adapter for it to work on my computer and it works like a charm.
CassSophFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:04 AM   #6
Blackheart_72

I have never been able to get used to a 360 controller so I use my PS3's controller for the PC and 360.
Blackheart_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:18 AM   #7
rocketsurgeon66

For racing games, I use a PS1/PS2 -> USB adapter to plug in my NegCon. I have yet to find a better controller for steering in racing games. Keyboard sucks, and the normal twin-stick controllers are not a lot better. I've got a full steering wheel somewhere gathering dust. They really only work if you sit at a table and can anchor it to the table, and even then I don't think they work very well.

I wish someone would make an updated version and sell for the PC, but so far, I've not found anything. Guess I'll have to go hunting on eBay if mine breaks.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:14 PM   #8
Xialoh11

Hmm, very mixed opinions here as well. I don't really like the design of the wii...mote, thing, unless you were referring to a different kind of controller for the wii. I also want to have analog sticks on whatever I do get. I really think I should probably keep it to either f310 or original xbox controller though, always wired as well. I don't want to deal with batteries.

Rocketsurgeon, have you had no issues relating to deadzones or anything?
Xialoh11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #9
SirDrexl

Quote:
Hmm, very mixed opinions here as well. I don't really like the design of the wii...mote, thing, unless you were referring to a different kind of controller for the wii. I also want to have analog sticks on whatever I do get. I really think I should probably keep it to either f310 or original xbox controller though, always wired as well. I don't want to deal with batteries.

He's talking about the Classic Controller Pro, which is similar to the standard controllers for the Xbox 360 and PS3: http://www.1up.com/news/wii-classic-...ro-impressions.

It's good, but the lack of analog triggers is a disappointment for me. The Wii U's upcoming CC also lacks them, and I think that's a shame because otherwise it seems like a great controller. Nintendo makes the best D-pads, as far as I'm concerned. Well, when they're not too small (Gamecube controller, I'm looking in your direction.)
SirDrexl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #10
rocketsurgeon66

Quote:

On the F510? No, can't say I have. The F510 is basically a F310 with force feedback (i.e., vibrators in the handle). Oh, and it's wired just like the F310.

Dealing with batteries is not something I want to do either. My mouse is wireless, but it can actually be used wired too (Logitech G700). Still, the battery keeps running down, and suddenly I lose the mouse until I can plug the cable in.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems