Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Fallout series

Old 07-16-2012, 05:12 AM   #1
negatis

New Vegas DLC turn off?

I'd like to know if there was a way to turn off the DLC? I bought the courier pack and each time I start a new game I get bombarded with all the items. Is there a way where I can single out which downloadable content is used each game? Or is it always going to load everything all at once? If that's the case I'm gonna have to write down every item that comes with each individual suit because I don't want to play with too many aces up my sleeve. I love this game so much I finally beat the original about a week ago and saw the crazy sale so I spent about $11.00 on all the expansions! Any tips or ideas wll help. Also i wonder when you start to load up the game off of steam there's an options to check or uncheck certain downloadables and "load loose files" can anyone explain the purpose of this? Thanks very much in advance and good gaming everyone!
Old 07-16-2012, 05:15 AM   #2
Mauno

There's a mod that cuts the amount of stuff you get when you start the game.. "Lean Starting Gear" or something like that, you can look it up on the Nexus.
Mauno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:28 AM   #3
negatis

Thanks alot I will definitely look into that.
negatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:36 AM   #4
careface

Not sure but wouldn't this work? In the game's launcher select "Data Files" and from there untick the DLC you don't want? In this case Courier’s Stash should be represented by the following files: ClassicPack.esm, MercenaryPack.esm, TribalPack.esm and CaravanPack.esm.
careface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:47 AM   #5
Kashank

Quote:
Originally Posted by careface View Post
Not sure but wouldn't this work? In the game's launcher select "Data Files" and from there untick the DLC you don't want? In this case Courier’s Stash should be represented by the following files: ClassicPack.esm, MercenaryPack.esm, TribalPack.esm and CaravanPack.esm.
came here to say what he said, I'm 90% sure this will work.
Kashank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:24 AM   #6
negatis

Like I fool I was so excited about getting the add-ons I had checked every single box. Right now I'm backing up the game and am going to delete the files. Then reinstall and try what you guys mentioned and add the extra content 1 at a time that way I don't get bombarded with messages when I first start the game. Thanks everyone for your help. If none of that works I guess I'll try using the "Lean Starting Gear"-mod and see how that works out. Thanks everyone for your help and I'll post on how this plan of actions resolves.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:40 AM   #7
Yokozunayojimbo

Yep it is as simple as un ticking any ESM or ESP that you wish not to run.

Seeing as you are trying out some mods if you have not I highly recommend using Fallout Mod Manager(FOMM) or Nexus Mod Manager(NMM) they will make keeping track of your mods much easier I also very strongly recommend that you also get FONVedit this little dozy can do many things but it will scan every ESM and ESP that you have and make sure that they do not conflict which will greatly reduce the number of problems when running mods.

New Vegas Script Extender is also pretty much a must have as well as the mods that reduce stutters and other type issues all make use of NVSE.

The Fallout New Veags is your go to for modding FONV http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/index.php

By the way the bombardment of messages only happens the first time you start a new game after that it does not happen again.Also each of the the quest DLCs(Dead Money,Honest Hearts,Old World Blues,and Lonesome Road) raise your max level and that effect takes place right away if you load the those one at time over time you in effect limit your character development you also miss out on perks that come with each DLC as well as any extra items and weapons that they may add with certain user made mods this may become a real issue so it is really easier to just deal with the message bombardment at the game start.

Their are certain traits that you pick at the start as well that will only be available with the DLCs so in short deal with the bombardment.In fact many user made mods do require all or certain quest DLCs so in order to get the maximum form the game you are better off just taking the bombardment.

Look though the Nexus there may be a mod that keeps the messages from showing up.

Last edited by Yokozunayojimbo: 07-16-2012 at 07:49 AM.
Yokozunayojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:41 AM   #8
Zorky

No need for mod when you start FNV click Data Files and take out the stuff you don't want be it DLC or extra items.

Last edited by Zorky: 07-16-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Zorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:24 AM   #9
negatis

Yojimbo! Awesome name! Thanks for the post. I haven't deleted anything yet I did however back up my Fallout: New Vegas game just in case I did decide to do so. The headache of adding mods was never my thing and I might just consider dealing with the "bombardment" and putting my caravan extra items in a garbage can somewhere never to see them again.

As I stated before I tried "unchecking" the add-ons but they automatically start up with each new game I create. I was merely trying to simulate playing the game from the beginning as and then adding each add-on as I go along. Strange I know. Though I did find a mod creator that feels the same way I do. If you guys are interested here's the link... wait... not sure about posting links here on this forum... I'm sure if you type in your search engines "Lean Start Gear Nexus" you guys will find the mod page that typically describes the game play I'd like... without bombardment... *sigh* some gamers (myself) can be so picky. Everyone thanks again. Your feedback is well appreciated!
Old 11-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #10
nachosamurai

Thread necromancy

As of November 2012, my newly installed FO:NV will still enable all the addons despite my not having them checked.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any known resolutions that are simpler than downloading a mod?
nachosamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:53 AM   #11
bonz

If you use J.E.Sawyer's mod, those 4 pre-order packs are hidden somewhere in the wasteland, instead of given to the player at the start.
http://diogenes-lamp.info/jsawyer_fnv_mod.zip

J.E.Sawyer is one of the game's devs, and in this mod he fixed, changed and added a lot of things after the release of the game.
Be aware that it drastically increases the difficulty!
Probably not a bad thing after you have played through the game a few times already.

Note:
AFAIR, this mod requires a fresh start!
Applying it during a running game might not change certain things and mess up others.

-------
Also, I'm using this mod to delay those annoying DLC pop-ups at the beginning.
Instead, the respective location markers will only appear when you are close to it AND have reached the recommended XP levels.
http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/42033
bonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Fallout series