Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source SDK General Discussion

Old 07-16-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
Animyr

Porting prop models from L4D2 (and why is everything stored in SFM?)

I want to be able to access L4D2 prop models in HL source. I've been sending out feelers in that direction for a while but an assortment of events that forced me to re-install alot of things on new computers had muddled the issue. Anyways for all of my investigations and searches I'm still not entirely clear how the basic process works works, if I'll need an extraction program, what extraction program I'll need or what file types.

Moreover I tried to at least figure out where the model directories are in advanced and even on that I'm stumped. I found all of the HL2 models, but they're all inside the source filmmaker (which I installed a few days ago) folder for some reason I cannot begin to fanthom. Is this just a file reorganization caused by the install or is it something deeper? And there's no sign of most of the the L4D models anywhere, even though the Hammer editor and props browser are both working. When I look under the L4D2 folder I find only a smattering of random files, and there's nothing in source filmmaker. I searched my computer directory for L4D specific names and found nothing (while, for instance, putting in c17 leads me straight to the corresponding HL models which are, as mentioned, nestled in source filmmaker.)

I'll continue to test things out but if anyone happens to know anything that could help would be appreciated.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
Blueberry_pie

Everything isn't stored in SFM. It's just the only Source game where all the content is stored as plain files on the hard drive. With other Source games, the content is packed inside archives. GCF archives (found in your Steam/steamapps directory) for older Source games and VPK archives (found in the game directory; open the pak##_dir file) for newer ones, including L4D2. Both can be opened and extracted from using GCFScape.

However, I should warn you that the models from L4D2 use a newer model format version that is most likely incompatible with the engine version used for HL:S. You'll probably need to decompile and then recompile the models before you can use them.
Blueberry_pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:50 PM   #3
Animyr

Alright, so I've located the GCF archive for the base sdk props, but I still haven't been able to locate the l4d2 models beyond random subway door props and microsoft visual documents.

Now as for compiling, I have a program called studio compiler. So I would extract a given file with GCFscape, decompile with SC, then recompile, then put it into wherever the l4d2 models are? Or something else?

Speaking of which, l4d2 can access alot of the basic source models. Would these appear a second time in the l4d2 archive (when I find it), or would the new models be all on their own?
Animyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:28 AM   #4
Blueberry_pie

I don't have L4D2 installed, but I assume the game archives are located in steamapps/common/left 4 dead 2/l4d2. L4D2 does not access any GCF archives, so yes, you may find a number of duplicate props in the VPK archives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animyr View Post
Now as for compiling, I have a program called studio compiler. So I would extract a given file with GCFscape, decompile with SC, then recompile, then put it into wherever the l4d2 models are?
Yeah, I think that's the basic process. Not sure if StudioCompiler is able to decompile L4D2 models, though. It hasn't been updated in a while. You may want to check out this guide. edit: Or try this program instead.

edit 2: I just realized that the textures might use a newer format too. You may have to recompile those as well. You can use VTFEdit for that. Just open a VTF file, click the Copy button and then the Paste button to reimport the image, then under Advanced Options set the version to 7.1.

Last edited by Blueberry_pie: 07-17-2012 at 02:11 AM.
Blueberry_pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
captain0terror

if you're looking for a specific l4d2 model, maybe try checking garry's mod models, and see if someone has alraedy converted the stuff you need

(fyi, you need to own the game to download from garry's mod models, but they have almost everything, and you can probably get the game really cheap on steam sale right now)
captain0terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #6
Animyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain0terror View Post
if you're looking for a specific l4d2 model, maybe try checking garry's mod models, and see if someone has alraedy converted the stuff you need

(fyi, you need to own the game to download from garry's mod models, but they have almost everything, and you can probably get the game really cheap on steam sale right now)
Wow, I feel like an idiot now. I've gone to that site a few times before but I only ever found specific stuff like sportscars and helicopters and vehicles from non-valve games. What I really needed was the obvious stuff that HL was lacking, like truck trailers and tankers and other industrial vehicles that l4d had. Not sure why I didn't find those until now.

So I download GM and the file pack, and then what? Do I simply place the desired files into the appropriate source sdk database?
Old 07-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #7
captain0terror

Unpack the file from GM and copy it to the models folder for whatever game you're using, preserving the folder structure, and it should work afaik.

It shouldn't be any more complicated than that, and after you copy the files, the models should show up in hammer and the model viewer.

Note
most of garry's mod props are dynamic, so you will probably have to use a prop_dynamic_multiplayer or prop dynamic. if the model STILL won't show up, at last resort use a cycler.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:24 PM   #8
Animyr

I've been away the past few days, but at any rate I kept fiddling around with the files a bit in my spare time and I'm still stumped. I understand how to use GCFscape to extract files from a GCF archive, but I have no clue how to do the opposite and insert the folder I downloaded inside the archive. Can GCFscape even do that?

In fact, GCF scape (and studiocompiler) can see the file types (vvd, phys, mdl, etc) found inside the GCF archives perfectly fine, but when I try to open the folder of the L4d models I downloaded I get a "no files matching your search." The file types are exactly the same, but of course they are in a conventional folder rather than an archive so apparently GCFscape is so miffed by that it refuses to look at them. And I can't transfer the files directly, since I can't even open a gcf archive without gcfscape which, as I said, cannot see the files in the gmod folder.

I have the feeling that the solution must be something simple, but I don't know where to look.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #9
captain0terror

you're not adding the models to the gcf, you're just copying them to your game directory, e.g., steamapps/yourname/cstrike/models.

I don't know if it's the same for L4D, cuz i never mapped for it, sorry
Old 08-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #10
Animyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain0terror View Post
I don't know if it's the same for L4D, cuz i never mapped for it, sorry
I'm transferring it into HL2, remember? At any rate I've looked around the only place I've been able to find the HL2 sdk models are in GCF archives. Under the Username/hl/models folder, the only thing that's in there is something called shader test. Likewise under Username/sdk content/hl/models there are some random things like antlions, buggies and weapons but no props.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:57 AM   #11
agent0kevin

There are many models in the SourceModels.gcf too. I doubt any L4D2 models are in there though.
agent0kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #12
Animyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent0kevin View Post
There are many models in the SourceModels.gcf too. I doubt any L4D2 models are in there though.
I know. So far as I can tell, that's where source sdk gets it's models from. I haven't found them anywhere else. I downloaded some pre-compiled L4D models but I don't know how to insert them into the gcf archive. Terror is talking about how I should be able to find the models in normal folders and I presume from his comments that he is able to at least find CT models in normal folders. I cannot say the same for any of my games, except for random tidbits like antlions and buggies.

And for the record, I've tried transferring the l4d folder into the normal folders with HL2 models I can find. So far it hasn't worked.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #13
CrAzYpotpie

You don't repack GCF's. . .

GCF's just hold all the official, default files. These never change, and never should.
Only Source Film Maker has its files in the direct folder and no associated .GCF

Models that are custom and not part of any official game go straight into the game folder itself. So if it is HL2,

Code:
D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\USERNAME\half-life 2\hl2\models
Place the models inside the models folder. If that folder doesn't exist yet, then just make it.

When you want to "replace" a model for your mod (such as modifying an existing HL2 model), you would still put it directly into the folder. The way this works is, Hammer and your game will load all the models from the game directory first, then it will fallback to its .GCF. So if you have modified the zombie model, the zombie will appear to be your new zombie model in-game, in Hammer, etc, but the original model for the zombie still rest's nicely in the default HL2 .GCF undisturbed, so if you removed your custom zombie file by deleting it from the HL2/models folder, the game would go back to loading the one in the .GCF.

Make some semblance of sense? Just stick the models straight into the game folder. Same with custom textures, particles, models, scripts, sounds, etc.

Last edited by CrAzYpotpie: 08-04-2012 at 01:15 AM.
CrAzYpotpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #14
Animyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYpotpie View Post
Place the models inside the models folder.
Should I place the models and materials directly? Or should I place the whole folder inside the models folder? I've been fiddling with that occasionally and so far nothing.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #15
CrAzYpotpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animyr View Post
Should I place the models and materials directly? Or should I place the whole folder inside the models folder? I've been fiddling with that occasionally and so far nothing.
Just use common sense.

If you download a model and and extract it from the .Zip file and it is a folder that structure is like so. . .
Code:
models/vehicles/jeep
Then you would take the folder "vehicles" and place it in the HL2/models folder.

But if you download a model that has a folder structure like this. . .
Code:
vehicles/jeep
Then you would just drop it into your HL2/models folder. Same for materials.

You wouldn't want it to be HL2/models/models/ etc., that is just obvious.

& Yes, same goes for textures.

They will all have to follow the same respected path that the model and material was compiled for, so if you place it in the wrong folder it will never work. If you are taking models/materials from other Valve games, place them in the same place they would be when they were in the L4D/models folders. They all must follow the same hierarchy. Hopefully that clears some things up.

Last edited by CrAzYpotpie: 08-05-2012 at 09:12 PM.
CrAzYpotpie is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source SDK General Discussion