Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Red Orchestra series > Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
kcheese
 
Join Date: May 2010
Reputation: 0
Posts: 44
RO2 - One Year Later

Well.. almost a year later

I pre-purchased this game before its release and played it avidly for the first two months. The performance issues was game breaking for me and was bugging in hit detection.

Like most disappointed fans of the original RO, I quit RO2 in mid October.

With the Steam Summer Sale, I rejoined again with the new blood and tried this GOTY edition. To my surprise, performance is fantastic now and all around hit detection everything is better.

But it irks me that it took them almost a year to resolve this!?

Anyway feel like this game took a year to catch up to what it should have been on launch.
kcheese is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
panzerlied
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Reputation: 34
Posts: 367
I didn't really have any issues aside from the rare CTD's, which resolved themselves after a few patches.

I think it took them so long to fix the issues other people were having, becauase not only were they working on additional content, but working to fix the myriad of issues that kept creeping up. I think it may have been a more, release everything at one time sort of deal to make sure everything is solid, instead of bits and pieces at a time.

The former makes sense to me, seeing how if they released a new fix, that fix could end up being broken and they'd have even more time spent fixing their original fix.
panzerlied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
Scorpio27
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Reputation: 397
Posts: 1,400
They fixed a lot of issues by December/January time but still some issues which GOTY patch fixed
Scorpio27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
KnownUnknown
 
Banned
Join Date: Mar 2012
Reputation: 204
Posts: 510
And yet, TWI still haven't fixed the CQ hit detection issues. Check back another year from now.
KnownUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
Moskeeto
 
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Reputation: 37
Posts: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
And yet, TWI still haven't fixed the CQ hit detection issues. Check back another year from now.
Hit detection works perfectly fine now across the board thanks to the implementation of client-side hit detection.
Moskeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:40 AM   #6
Mekhazzio
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Reputation: 12
Posts: 78
Yep, the only reason for a shot not hitting now is because you missed.
Mekhazzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:50 AM   #7
KnownUnknown
 
Banned
Join Date: Mar 2012
Reputation: 204
Posts: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskeeto View Post
Hit detection works perfectly fine now across the board thanks to the implementation of client-side hit detection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekhazzio View Post
Yep, the only reason for a shot not hitting now is because you missed.
CQ hit detection is still borked, and I'm not the only one that's had problems with it.

Long- and medium-range hit detection is solid. CQ hit detection is not.
KnownUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #8
Moskeeto
 
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Reputation: 37
Posts: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
CQ hit detection is still borked, and I'm not the only one that's had problems with it.

Long- and medium-range hit detection is solid. CQ hit detection is not.
Mekhazzio is the guy who made the original mutator that TWI based their client-side hit detection off of. I think I'll trust what he says over what you say.
Moskeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #9
Mekhazzio
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Reputation: 12
Posts: 78
There isn't, and never was, any difference in hit detection between various ranges. (NB: this is a technically incorrect statement, but you're not really talking about 'hit detection' anyway) It was crap at all ranges, before

The new system is tight enough that you can reliably bayonet people sprinting past you. I did it three times last night, even. The only way you could've done that under the old system is to stab the air before they went by you.
Mekhazzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:40 AM   #10
KnownUnknown
 
Banned
Join Date: Mar 2012
Reputation: 204
Posts: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekhazzio View Post
There isn't, and never was, any difference in hit detection between various ranges. (NB: this is a technically incorrect statement, but you're not really talking about 'hit detection' anyway) It was crap at all ranges, before

The new system is tight enough that you can reliably bayonet people sprinting past you. I did it three times last night, even. The only way you could've done that under the old system is to stab the air before they went by you.
Fair enough, but how do you explain the disparity I'm seeing between close range accuracy and what you're claiming? Lag?

Keep in mind I'm not talking about actual melee combat here -- I'm referring to the fact that well-placed firearm shots taken at opponents in a close-range setting (anywhere from 1-10 feet) are still missing more often than they should be. Pistols, rifles, SMGs; none of them are offering any kind of accuracy that's close to what my long-range shots are claiming. It makes no sense to me.

Brilliant work on the mutator, by the way.
KnownUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:02 AM   #11
Mekhazzio
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Reputation: 12
Posts: 78
I assume that you're simply not hitting vital areas. Even rifle rounds are only instantly lethal in a few particular hit zones. In close combat, your targets are more likely to be facing you, and thus you tend not to get the extra-damaging shot angles that pass through multiple hit areas at once. Relative motion is also typically high, which makes it difficult to know exactly where you were aiming when you pulled the trigger, unless you record it and go back through frame-by-frame.

When I was making the mutator, I had early versions showing debug graphics for the flight path and contact points of every shot, so that I could be absolutely sure of what was going on with each shot. Those graphics revealed that the actual hit detection in RO2 is extraordinarily good. It functions at an impressive level of precision and is utterly reliable. I was very surprised by how good it is, because it's in sharp contrast to how technically flaky so much else of the game is. If there is any part of the game that deserves praise, it's this one.

The problem was always in the networking, and with that changed to a more sensible model, the game can be trusted that if your bullet didn't hit, it's straight up because you missed. (Well, or because you died server-side before it got your shot, but that's just part of online gaming)

Personally, I spend probably 3/4ths of my game time running around with a bolt-action. That's part of the reason I was so intent on getting the networking fixed...reliable shooting is kind of important when you only have one shot. Now that it is fixed, I'm very confident taking a bolt into CQC, and a significant portion of my kills are a single hip shot at close range. The shooting mechanics are very satisfying now
Mekhazzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:32 AM   #12
KnownUnknown
 
Banned
Join Date: Mar 2012
Reputation: 204
Posts: 510
That's as good an explanation as any I've heard, Mekhazzio, but I'm still not convinced my CQ shots are missing due simply to bad aim -- on the face of it, "bad aim" makes no sense at all, as I tend to get more kills at long range than I do at short range during any given match. Basically what I'm saying is that I'm a good shot. Not amazing, not perfect, but competent enough to end up with a positive K/D at the end of the round.

Even taking all the quirks of RO2's hit system into account, there's something wrong when half an SMG clip iron-sighted point blank to someone's chest doesn't even register a single hit. I've seen it happen post-patch, and so have others.

Ultimately, I really don't care why it's happening, just that it's happening.

Last edited by KnownUnknown: 07-19-2012 at 05:42 AM.
KnownUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #13
Mekhazzio
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Reputation: 12
Posts: 78
You're the first time I've heard anything like that since the big patch. There shouldn't even be any dry-firing bugs capable of causing that, since projectiles are client-side now...which, I suppose, is possibly the problem - maybe you've found a server that turned client-side hit detection off. There are still a few people with curious opinions on the topic.

Grab a clip of it on FRAPS or the like, I'd say.
Mekhazzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:20 PM   #14
Praxius
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Reputation: 220
Posts: 1,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekhazzio View Post
You're the first time I've heard anything like that since the big patch. There shouldn't even be any dry-firing bugs capable of causing that, since projectiles are client-side now...which, I suppose, is possibly the problem - maybe you've found a server that turned client-side hit detection off. There are still a few people with curious opinions on the topic.

Grab a clip of it on FRAPS or the like, I'd say.
I can't say I ever had this hit detection issue, ever... even back in the original beta.
Praxius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:26 AM   #15
deagle_King
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Reputation: 53
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekhazzio View Post
You're the first time I've heard anything like that since the big patch. There shouldn't even be any dry-firing bugs capable of causing that, since projectiles are client-side now...which, I suppose, is possibly the problem - maybe you've found a server that turned client-side hit detection off. There are still a few people with curious opinions on the topic.

Grab a clip of it on FRAPS or the like, I'd say.
Some people can't be satisfied. And they can't admit being wrong. So don't bother, it'll save you a lot of time.
Oh btw, good job on hit detection, I'm actually purchasing it just because of this thread.
deagle_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Red Orchestra series > Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2012, All Rights Reserved.