Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Half-Life 2

Old 07-16-2012, 04:36 PM   #1
Overlord Laharl

Red face Too many indices for index buffer

Hi there! So I'm playing Half Life 2 which runs perfectly on my computer, but I'm having a problem with the game right now. I'm on the part were I'm in the city again, I've left the teleporter with Alyx and she tells me to run up ahead. When entering the city I recruit the citizens to follow me. But than a combine door opens and than the game starts stuttering and than shuts down with an error message:
"Too many indices for index buffer..Tell a programer (43054>32768)"
Well I certainly don't know anyone who is a programmer. And I'm not good at programming at all, anything to help me fix this?
Old 07-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
Zekiran

Do you have cheats running? Or did you install a mod to it? Generally that buffer index thing happens in source only when you've wandered too far off the map in noclip mode, in my experience.

There may be a way to increase a number somewhere in the config file, or your memory. When was the last time you've played the game on that machine? Did anything change since then? And are you running the game in addition to lots of other things which might hog memory?
Zekiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #3
Leushenko

Judging by the numbers involved it's probably a media problem: it looks like something's trying to display a surface with more detail than (the game thinks) your card can handle. Older FFP-based engines had to upload mesh data to the card in chunks that were usually capped at 32768 or 65536 vertices (I have no idea if this is still true of modern engines).

-- Is this your first time playing the game? i.e. have you played through this area successfully before?

-- Have you installed any mods? Content changes made by third parties may introduce errors like this.

-- Have you tried verifying your game files? This may be caused by data corruption.

-- Are you on a computer with a reasonable graphics card (old game, but still worth asking)?

If you can check off all of these factors, "tell a programmer" means report it as a bug to Valve via the bug reporting service, not that you should be trying to fix this yourself. The informal tone is probably because they never expected this error to appear in release mode, since their games will have been checked for media consistency already.
Leushenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
Overlord Laharl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leushenko View Post
Judging by the numbers involved it's probably a media problem: it looks like something's trying to display a surface with more detail than (the game thinks) your card can handle. Older FFP-based engines had to upload mesh data to the card in chunks that were usually capped at 32768 or 65536 vertices (I have no idea if this is still true of modern engines).

-- Is this your first time playing the game? i.e. have you played through this area successfully before?

-- Have you installed any mods? Content changes made by third parties may introduce errors like this.

-- Have you tried verifying your game files? This may be caused by data corruption.

-- Are you on a computer with a reasonable graphics card (old game, but still worth asking)?

If you can check off all of these factors, "tell a programmer" means report it as a bug to Valve via the bug reporting service, not that you should be trying to fix this yourself. The informal tone is probably because they never expected this error to appear in release mode, since their games will have been checked for media consistency already.
1. No I have not beaten the game yet, this is my first time running the level on my computer
2. Yes I have mods installed, but they're just skin mods, is that a problem? If so I can get rid of them, its not that big of a deal
3. I haven't verified the game
4. My computer can run Portal 2 on high settings and I've had no problems with it, all of my games run great on it, I know HL2 is a pretty old game but still....
Overlord Laharl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #5
Zekiran

Remove all mods, redownload the game.

Why would you want a skin mod *before you've even finished the game*? Play the full thing the way the devs intended it first, then mess with it. Seriously.

Verify the game files (if you choose to not simply delete the entire game folder and start over) by right-clicking the game icon in the Steam library. Choose Properties, then Files, and verify them. Restart Steam.

But definitely make sure any mods are fully removed first.
Zekiran is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Half-Life 2