Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Age of Empires III

Old 07-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
blakecrews333

Windows Aero Vs.AoE3

So yeah, Does anyone know why Windows Aero is disabled while playing AoE3 on W7(64)? Its not anything bad, Im just curious

Both the Retail copy and steams version does this.

I figure its a compatability thing. I havnt used compatability mode on W7 yet so is that why?
Old 07-17-2012, 10:27 PM   #2
MS Ryz0n

Microsoft Games Studios
You're spot on. When compatibility mode is enabled for Win7, it will disable aero to run the game. This is perfectly normal behavior.

You'll notice we only list windows XP under compatibility for this reason.
I did spend some time working with valve to do a few optimizations to get it to run without any user work on windows 7 however - All of the machines I use at work and home for the game are win7 based. (both x86 and x64)
MS Ryz0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:30 AM   #3
Parmenion59

Other issue, when i alt-tab the sound pass from minimum to maximum.
Dunno why :/
Parmenion59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:40 AM   #4
Czqnielsen

It just struck me,

Since AoE is incompatible with Windows Aero, disabling it (going into the windows classic style) should fix the radioactive wasteland color problem in Age of Empires 2 right? I can't believe I haven't thought of this before, I gotta try it when I get home.

Can someone confirm this for me?

Also I remember reading something about the legacy AoE games coming to steam, any idea when? I'm going to buy the living crap out of them.
Czqnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:12 AM   #5
MS Ryz0n

Microsoft Games Studios
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czqnielsen View Post
It just struck me,

Since AoE is incompatible with Windows Aero, disabling it (going into the windows classic style) should fix the radioactive wasteland color problem in Age of Empires 2 right? I can't believe I haven't thought of this before, I gotta try it when I get home.

Can someone confirm this for me?

Also I remember reading something about the legacy AoE games coming to steam, any idea when? I'm going to buy the living crap out of them.
No, unfortunately what you're describing with AOE2 happens to be due to a different color palette and direct X variations over the last 12 years (gosh....has it been that long already?). I've heard about some workarounds for that in the past, but you'd have to search up some user forums - there's currently no official workaround for AOE2 color issues on win7.
MS Ryz0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:15 AM   #6
Czqnielsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS Ryz0n View Post
No, unfortunately what you're describing with AOE2 happens to be due to a different color palette and direct X variations over the last 12 years (gosh....has it been that long already?). I've heard about some workarounds for that in the past, but you'd have to search up some user forums - there's currently no official workaround for AOE2 color issues on win7.
Sigh well that's too bad, was looking forward to playing it properly again
Czqnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Age of Empires III