Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series

Old 07-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
djvlive

What's the deal with Day Z?

I don't know why I feel I have to post but I do

I bought Arma2 Combined Ops the other day just to check out the hype with Day Z and I was blow away with how awful it is. I understand it can be fun with some friends but I really couldn't get it (especially with the abysmal PvP elements).

So I was playing SOC for the first time today and after looting corpses, checking houses for food, sleeping, trading weapons...

I came to the realization that this is awesome and I have no idea why Day Z is so hyped up..?
Old 07-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
Kocayine

It's just a free mod, man :-/

It's not really comparable with STALKER, if you ask me...
Kocayine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
jsmith1001

STALKER could truly benefit from Coop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kocayine View Post
It's just a free mod, man :-/
but you still needs Arma.
jsmith1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
Friendliest

interesting perspective.

you are right. STALKER is awesome! It's not your imagination! It's not a mirage that will fall apart in front of your eyes. (It might be rough around the edges at times, tho :P)

but as for DayZ, even screenshots of that game reminded me of STALKER and I was thinking it would be cool, but ...

what is it that's so messed up about PvP?

as for your overall disappointment, does it have to do with how raw their presentation is? that is the main thing that has always turned me off from arma is that it looks about as good as the military simulations u see on the "news". gigantic landscapes maybe, but at the expense of super-simple models, textures, and animations, aka "terrible graphics" and just not that "fun" of a proposition.
Friendliest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
djvlive

@Kocayine

That's not entirely true... It's an unofficial- official mod. It was programmed by Arma staff and does require Arma2:CO (which set me back $23.99). But you're right, I can't be too hard on it

@jsmith1001

You're right! Thanks for pointing that out... Both points.

@Friendliest

I'm not turned off by the graphics... if it's a fun game. However, it's not. That's my opinion but the PvP is messed up because it's a "I see you first and I'm a jerk so you die."

Communication with others is difficult if not near impossible and necessary items only spawn in certain places (and not often either). Combine that with permadeath a completely random spawn system and basically you are a moving target.

Often times you spawn in the middle of nowhere, run for a half hour (or more), crawl past zombies, find a few necessary items, and then get sniped out of nowhere by another player. Rinse, repeat. That's the whole game- no long term goals other then being the player who snipes others.
djvlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:32 PM   #6
Kocayine

Quote:
Originally Posted by djvlive View Post
@Kocayine

That's not entirely true... It's an unofficial- official mod. It was programmed by Arma staff and does require Arma2:CO (which set me back $23.99). But you're right, I can't be too hard on it
Really? I had no clue :P
Old 07-18-2012, 05:19 PM   #7
randir14

The creator has described it as an "anti-game", it's not supposed to be fair or easy.
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #8
fatel1ty

Quote:
I don't know why I feel I have to post but I do

I bought Arma2 Combined Ops the other day just to check out the hype with Day Z and I was blow away with how awful it is. I understand it can be fun with some friends but I really couldn't get it (especially with the abysmal PvP elements).

So I was playing SOC for the first time today and after looting corpses, checking houses for food, sleeping, trading weapons...

I came to the realization that this is awesome and I have no idea why Day Z is so hyped up..?
havnt tried it myself yet in the past 3 weeks, but i played the mod from the beginning, it is easily game of the year. I think you are playing it the wrong way
fatel1ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #9
djvlive

Quote:
Originally Posted by randir14 View Post
The creator has described it as an "anti-game", it's not supposed to be fair or easy.
That's silly. I hear that all the time from musicians- they make a song that's just horrible and when people don't like it they just say "you don't understand- it's supposed to sound like that."

Actually the game is not that hard. You can figure out how to avoid the zombies after playing for an hour, and all the weapon/med spawn locations can be found online (hence why everybody camps them and shoots on sight). Add to that the terrible animations, object pop-in, horrendous clipping problems, cumbersome button schemes, etc...

I guess you could say it's an "anti-game" simply because there is no main objective. To me it just sounds like bad music.

@Kocayine

I do want to disagree that it's comparable to STALKER. Both games came out at around the same time (2006-2007) and have similar themes/mechanics. Both are post-apocalyptic Russia, both emphasize stealth, scavenging, and survival, both have social elements (trading/killing other STALKERS/players)...

EDIT:

Yes, I know DAY Z didn't come in 2006 but Arma2 did. You could easily argue that Day Z tried to copy STALKER 6 years later and yet STALKER still does it better. I'm still baffled why there are so many people obsessing over it :/

@fatel1ty

How would you know if it was playing it the wrong way? Both right or wrong ends up the same. Find items, die. Don't find items, die. Find strong items, kill other players, die.

Last edited by djvlive: 07-18-2012 at 06:06 PM.
djvlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:03 AM   #10
D3s_ToD3s

Humans are dum...

Guys. The comparasion comes because of THE ATMOSPHERE. Nothing else.
Ofcourse its not a stalker.
Dont be freaking idiotc. For that stage, you need radiation, a dozend factions, magical artifacts, magical anomalys, spacemarine-pre-armor an npp, claustrophobic dungeons, an nuclear desaster and millions of mutants.

DayZ is a zombie-survival-horror-simulation. The point is "Simulation". Get iit? Arma isnt a Game. Its designed to simulate. Not to blow you away with its eyemelting graphics. For that you should go and play BF2, MW3 or Cry2.
The second point is "Survival". DayZ is the first Game i know that takes this aspect seriousy.
You NEED to hydrate yourself and find the baked beans. In stalker you just buy them if the millions you loot arent enough for you.
words, words, words, lazy, quit
D3s_ToD3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:44 AM   #11
Kocayine

Quote:
@Kocayine

I do want to disagree that it's comparable to STALKER. Both games came out at around the same time (2006-2007) and have similar themes/mechanics. Both are post-apocalyptic Russia, both emphasize stealth, scavenging, and survival, both have social elements (trading/killing other STALKERS/players)...

EDIT:

Yes, I know DAY Z didn't come in 2006 but Arma2 did. You could easily argue that Day Z tried to copy STALKER 6 years later and yet STALKER still does it better. I'm still baffled why there are so many people obsessing over it :/
I can only kinda refer to what D3s_ToD3s posted, above me. Two completely different games, STALKER and ARMA that focuses on completely different things. Only thing they have in common is that they have guns and takes place in post-Soviet countries... and sure, maybe those few things you mentioned.

I really don't see how you can feel that Dayz has taken ANYTHING from STALKER. STALKER isn't even an apocalyptic game, per se, I mean there's still a functioning world outside the Zone (I assume) while days it is pretty much the end of the human race, we're talking about.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series