Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Ys Series

Old 07-19-2012, 04:49 AM   #1
DeadEternity

Max Level

Is it even possible to reach max level? I'm level 51 right now, Skull-Alnadas give me 13 experience each and Levynades give me 60 experience each, in which I need 15k+ exp for each level now.

I know technically it's possible, it would just take a really long time, seeing as how after about level 53 even the Levynades will be giving awful experience. Is there anywhere else in the game to grind before I finish it?
Old 07-19-2012, 05:42 AM   #2
PixyJunket

No, you cannot reach max level under normal, human, circumstances.

Level 48 and above are sufficient for beating the final bosses.
PixyJunket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
DarkRPGMaster

I have a sneaking suspicion you're in the same boat as me...you're after the 'You Can Stop Now' achievement too, TC?
DarkRPGMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
KawaiiSara

XSEED Games
You actually can reach max level the ordinary way, especially on Very Easy, but it's extremely time-consuming. If you beat the game on the highest difficulties, you might unlock something that will make the task much easier, though...

Old 07-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
DarkRPGMaster

Wait, you mean THAT? I've considered waiting until then, but I also want to get the Like A Boss achievement at the same time, and I wanted to see if leveling to level 60 on Very Easy would take away all damage or not.
DarkRPGMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
DeadEternity

Well, I'm on nightmare, don't really feel like playing the game over again on very easy lol. Ya I would like that achievement, but it's really not crucial, can kill Levynades in two wind charges now so it's pretty boring, only thing left is to finish the game.. but I don't want it to end. D: Such a good game.
DeadEternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #7
ladynadiad

I did figure out a few things when it comes to grinding at the higher levels where you are getting less experience to at least make it go by faster, even if it is boring.

Basically you want to find an area that has the following factors in place:

1. Has a good number of enemies in a smallish room (at least 10 enemies).
2. Said enemies are pretty easy to beat, go down in 1-2 hits.
3. Easy to keep your hit counter at max and you're not taking a lot of damage from the monsters.

I found if you can keep your hit counter at max, lowest you'll ever get for an enemy is 2 experience. So if you get a small room with a good number of enemies in it that you can go back and forth in and beat all enemies in the room in a matter of seconds, you can basically grind out at a rate of about 1000 experience every few minutes. It's tedious, but gets the job done. I actually calculated it in Origin and found a spot in the second area that gives you experience faster than the last room in the last area because it meets these conditions.

So far for Oath the best spot I found was basically the spot on Genos Island that has a bunch of Skull-Alnadas. The room isn't huge and there's a good number in there and you beat them pretty quite fast and the counter easily stays at 99 there.

Boring? Yeah, it is. But for most difficulties to actually beat the game you shouldn't need more than level 53. I make it a bit less tedious by taking a break for every thousand experience to do something else for a short time and won't do it for more than an hour or so before going and working on something else.
ladynadiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:09 AM   #8
DeadEternity

I was doing that for quite awhile, posted a picture out of boredom of it. I don't know, doesn't seem worth it to spend the time on it, when I could be playing Origins lol. Thanks for the info though, maybe some day I'll get bored enough to do it.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:41 AM   #9
ladynadiad

It also can help to just spend a bit of time towards it each day. Like before I went to play Origin I'd set a goal to get something like 2000 experience, or work on it for a certain time period. Something to get some progress down even if it's small. With stuff that takes longer to do that little bit of progress each day makes a difference.

But then I'm weird and want as many of the achievements as I can actually earn. I know some of the boss rush ones will be beyond my ability, but I sure can do some tedious grinding!
Old 07-20-2012, 02:50 AM   #10
DeadEternity

I saw there was an achievement for beating Galbalan taking 0 damage. I don't see how that's ever going to be possible for me on nightmare lol you must have to do it on a way lower difficulty.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:48 AM   #11
ladynadiad

I can definitely say on Very Easy the monsters around Genos Island aren't going any damage to me at all. Even those spike things don't do damage either. So that's another reason why I'm trying to get to max level, as there's a good chance that some of Galbalan's attacks will do no damage as well making that achievement doable. Honestly, outside of achievements that require a certain difficulty, it's going to be best to do on a lower one.

Boss Rush on Nightmare is definitely not happening. I'll be lucky if I get past it on Hard! I couldn't even do it on Normal in the PSP version.

Edit: And I found a better end game grind point. May sound weird, but warp to Lava Zone drop off point, go back and forth in the room right outside there. There's a ton of enemies and since you're earning 1-2 experience for everything on Genos Island at about level 55, may as well find a spot with more enemies in a smaller area to net more experience in a shorter time.

Last edited by ladynadiad: 07-20-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:23 AM   #12
Desudesu

It definitely is humanly possible, especially using the method ladynadiad mentioned. I remembered that, and I had already tried grinding in the Zone of Lava by the time I read this post. It works wonders after level 55, I'd definitely recommend it.

Video Link (Me getting the achievement, no trainers/hacks, no debug mode. Skip to the end if it bores you, but do remember you'll probably be seeing this for hours if you go for it yourself...might help to prepare your mind for the grind.)

On Very Easy, the monsters give higher exp than they do on higher difficulty settings, but by the time you reach 57, every monster in the entire game, including the Levynades on Genos Island, give only 1 exp per kill (2 exp if you can keep your hit counter capped.) So it's best to just kill swarms of Mozgouz.

There are actually around 30-something Mozgouz (little bug things in Zone of Lava) at the entrance, but another room has about 64 of them. However, the other room is not as good for grinding, because there's only 1 exit, and it takes too long to hop back and forth between that exit and where the Mozgouz swarm is, so you can't stay capped at 99 hits and grind effectively because you'd be spending too much time out of combat. It's better to just grind at the entrance, as you see in the video.

One cycle (back and forth, so 2 full room spawns) at the entrance should give you just slightly over 100 exp. Going from level 59 to 60 is about 18,000 exp.

I can also verify that on Very Easy, at level 60 with maxed equipment, the Like a Boss achievement is stupid easy to get. The final boss dealt no damage to me with any of its attacks that hit me in the first and second phases. In the third phase (the energy ball ping-pong fight, similar to the Ganondorf fight in Zelda: OoT or the Agahnim fight in Zelda: LttP) the ground spells deal no damage, though the purple balls can push you a little, potentially throwing off your timing, and the vortex can still suck you up and delay you.

The energy balls did 10 damage to me at level 54, my first time fighting Galbalan (my timing sucked, haha) while most of his other damaging attacks in the other phases did 1 or 2 damage at level 54 (those were 0 at level 60.) When I fought him at level 60, I timed the swings well enough on the third phase that I didn't get hit by the big purple hot potato, but I'm unsure whether it can damage you or not after you get maxed out. I didn't want to find out the hard way. XD
Desudesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:58 AM   #13
riku3008

Got to level 60 today!
It took a little over 10 hours for me to grind from level 51 to 60. I was playing on Normal however.
riku3008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:05 PM   #14
ladynadiad

On Very Easy you get 76 experience with a maxed hit counter in that room. Have yet to find one that is better where you can keep the hit counter maxed.

I did find out, however, that in nightmare it sticks to the 1.99 experience gain and for every 100 enemies you kill with a maxed hit counter, you get 199 experience. So that nets to being most give you 2 experience, and for every 100 enemies one gives only 1. Very Easy rounds up the whole time. But that's really not a huge deal.

I also found it can help to turn the background music off and put on your own. Because for as awesome as Searing Struggle is, you'll be sick of it in an hour. Put on some other awesome Falcom tracks or something just to keep it from getting boring.

And I don't recall if the energy balls damage you on very easy with level 60 either. When I tried it I actually got the timing down well enough to not be hit by one.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:32 PM   #15
Regulus

I don't really see the point to grinding up to max level. If you're doing it because you care about getting the achievements, then, well, there are more difficult things to do that will give you the ability to effortlessly reach max level. If you grind up to max level first, you've basically just wasted your time at this point. Why spend 10 hours grinding to max level then another 20 overcoming the Nightmare Bossrush and Inferno Modes when you could just do the latter then achieve max level in about 10 seconds?
Regulus is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Ys Series