Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Old 07-19-2012, 06:00 AM   #1
The_Sven

Steam on the stock exchange?

Has Steam ever considered going public and offering stock in their company? I know that with the recent failings of Facebook and Groupon it might not seem like a good idea, but I might be interested in investing.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:01 AM   #2
neowolf

Gabe says no
neowolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:01 AM   #3
kumoro

i don't see any reason why they would go public, they should be making way more then enough now
kumoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:03 AM   #4
Nekomancer

Valve won't do that, since selling stocks also means they sell control over their company. They want to stay independent. That way they can do what they want.
Nekomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:04 AM   #5
Mashley

I hope they never do, and definitely considering how Valve is run right now a lot would have to change before they'd do that.
Mashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:04 AM   #6
Zyat

Going public would be bad for business. Right now Valve answers only to themselves, not the shareholders.

Perhaps after GabeN dies or retires, but until then he's said he has no plans on going public.
Zyat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:06 AM   #7
kehcorpz

Banned
Being private and profitable is much better. As a public company you are at the control of investors. If the economy goes down people make bad decisions out of fear. The media can destroy a company a lot of times. And if they went public investors may decide "no more sales" and Valve will have to comply.
kehcorpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:06 AM   #8
Fred DM

chances are that going public would ruin Valve and Steam, at least as far as customer-friendliness and overall service quality are concerned.

just look at public corporations like EA and AV, with people who have no idea about gaming calling the shots and shareholders constantly to be appeased.

Valve are so darn successful BECAUSE they are not a public company.
Fred DM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:07 AM   #9
Tito Shivan

They have stated they have no intention to do that. As it will cut a share of their liberty to rule their company.
And i sincerely prefer it that way.

I'd suggest investing in the old fashioned way. By spending your money in a business you appreciate.
Tito Shivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:11 AM   #10
Matt

Volunteer Moderator - I was on TV!
You should know that Valve Corporation is the company that owns the software called Steam. Probably should get stuff like that straight before investing in a company.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:16 AM   #11
leveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sven View Post
Has Steam ever considered going public and offering stock in their company? I know that with the recent failings of Facebook and Groupon it might not seem like a good idea, but I might be interested in investing.
I agree it would be lovely to own a part of Valve.

BUT, we've all come to the conclusion that Valve answering to shareholders would be the death of their creativity, and a change from being focused on the gamers, to being focused on paying shareholders their dividends.

(added)

But, on the other hand - I was thinking this morning that we could inject cash into our Steam wallets, this is therefore a direct link to their bank account. They use it as investment/expansion, offering us a small percentage over time return. ie. Leave $100 in Steam wallet for minimum of 1 month to receive extra 5% off games ... or something similar but better calculated and thought out.

Last edited by leveller: 07-19-2012 at 06:20 AM.
leveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:22 AM   #12
TheRevanchist

Nah. I like Valve being private. It sets them apart from the publicly traded big boys like ATVI and EA.

At this point, the only reason I can see Valve going public is if Gabe wants to cash out.

Last edited by TheRevanchist: 07-19-2012 at 06:34 AM.
TheRevanchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:27 AM   #13
Satoru

Steam is a private company. Companies go public for a few reasons:

1) to raise money in order to expand the company which would be otherwise impossible via other means

2) Make a ton of people very rich

Steam has done well as a private company and apparently has little desire to be beholdent to stockholders demands of increased revenues and such. Not being public has limitations, such as not having a lot of capital. But it's also very freeing, not having to report your earnings, being able to do whatever you want with your business (within limits), etc. As long as you don't NEED money, then there's little benefit to going public.
Satoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:32 AM   #14
Wolfrip_Sixshot

The last thing we need is a bunch of suits gaining any control of steam. Do you want valve to become the next EA?
Wolfrip_Sixshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:33 AM   #15
Chiatroll

When companies go public then you have a bunch of non gamer sociopaths running the show for decisions for the company and gabe is opposed to that

Hopefully even when gabe wants to retire he keeps it on the reins of someone who has the same idea and wants to stay private because someday I could see someone going "lets make a burst of money and leave the company while the public investor votes turn it to crap"
Chiatroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion