Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 07-19-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
palliamm

Unhappy Steam games freeze computer

Hi all,

I'm having trouble with most of my Steam games, including AoE 3, Torchlight, but especially Bastion. The problem is that the computer completely freezes and produces a uni-colored screen, sometimes green, sometimes purple, etc. A hard reset is then necessary. This happens in-game and at what appear to be random occasions. I've taken a picture of this rather odd bug, http://i.imgur.com/2MZIv.jpg.

My specs are the following:

Processor: AMD FX Bulldozer 4100 - 3.6GHz quad core
Motherboard: ASRock 870 Extreme3 2.0
Graphics Card: (Powercolor) AMD Radeon HD 6800 series

May I further add that I'm using the Windows 8 Consumer Preview (which could very well be the source of this problem).

I've read here that there are widely known problems with Steam and AMD chipsets, but having installed new graphic drivers and updated the BIOS, the problem persists. The known issue further seem to produce a BSOD, whereas my problem does not.

Also, this happens only on my Steam games, most of which are not exactly heavy duty graphically. I have played through Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 without any problems.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 07-19-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
TeKraken

I dont know bout windows 8 but there are hotfixes for FX chips and w7, symptoms included BSOD/crash.
TeKraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
Satoru

You have an FX processor which means you're 100% likely experiencing the AMD bug with Steam.

the only solution is to refer to your motherboard manufacturer and update the BIOS of your motherboard. This is the ONLY WAY TO FIX THIS.

Note that updating your motherboard bios can result in terrible horrible things happening. Take it slow, read the documentation from your manufacturer, and ask questions if needed. Ensure you're looking at the right model and even sub-version as well. If you brick your motherboard you're totally screwed so as they say 'measure twice, cut once'.

I believe Asus has some 'easy' ways of updating your BIOS. Look into that.
Satoru is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips