Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Tom Clancy collection > Splinter Cell series

Old 07-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
James Matthews

Splinter Cell Conviction, possibly the worst port ever?

Right first of all i didnt buy this game expecting a miracle, i acknowledge that my system isnt up to the standard of those that are reading this BUT when I am able to run games such as Skyrim and Batman Arkham asylum ( which runs off the same engine and may i add looks better ) at a playable framerate of 25-35 on the higher settings. My question is why does splinter cell reach 5fps max when i am indoors looking at a door? It's performance truly shocked me, the difference between the highest and lowest settings was a mere 2 fps so there was nothing more i could do. This was just the start of it I thought OK there must be a solution so i began to look online, upon returning to the game with no alterations made I was greeted by a main menu which only featured the background of the whitehouse and all the character models had dissapeared. Even the options were invisble so I had to guess the position of the singleplayer tab. Then When I got into the game Sam had miraculously become the invisible man and I was floating on water.

Anyone had similiar issues?

Oh and yes my drivers are up to date and my laptops specs are as follows.

Processor: Intel i3 Dual Core 2.1Ghz
Graphics card: Intel HD 3000
RAM: 4GB

Laptop model Fujitsu AH531.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
naughtydog2k3

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Matthews View Post
Right first of all i didnt buy this game expecting a miracle, i acknowledge that my system isnt up to the standard of those that are reading this BUT when I am able to run games such as Skyrim and Batman Arkham asylum ( which runs off the same engine and may i add looks better ) at a playable framerate of 25-35 on the higher settings. My question is why does splinter cell reach 5fps max when i am indoors looking at a door? It's performance truly shocked me, the difference between the highest and lowest settings was a mere 2 fps so there was nothing more i could do. This was just the start of it I thought OK there must be a solution so i began to look online, upon returning to the game with no alterations made I was greeted by a main menu which only featured the background of the whitehouse and all the character models had dissapeared. Even the options were invisble so I had to guess the position of the singleplayer tab. Then When I got into the game Sam had miraculously become the invisible man and I was floating on water.

Anyone had similiar issues?

Oh and yes my drivers are up to date and my laptops specs are as follows.

LOL..no wonder you're having issues with this game, your graphic card and cpu litterally sucks for gaming. No offense.
naughtydog2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
James Matthews

Quote:
Right first of all i didnt buy this game expecting a miracle, i acknowledge that my system isnt up to the standard of those that are reading this BUT when I am able to run games such as Skyrim and Batman Arkham asylum ( which runs off the same engine and may i add looks better ) at a playable framerate of 25-35 on the higher settings.
I know that im sure id already stated that, I thankyou for your beneficial input.
James Matthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
Gogglez

It's still poorly optimized, it uses Unreal 3 engine which isn't very resource heavy.

Played for a couple of minutes, 1080p, 2xMSAA, 8xAA, high settings with everything enabled and had 30-40 fps avg.

I have i5-750, 8gb RAM and GTX 560ti
Gogglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #5
freibooter

Sorry, but Intel's HD 3000 with shared VRAM simply isn't up to the task. The drivers are also still problematic. The fact that you may be able to run certain other games, doesn't negate that.

This game's minimum requirements are also exceptionally clear on the issue:

Quote:
*Supported Video Cards at Time of Release:
NVIDIA GeForce 7800 / 7900 / 8 / 9 / GTX series
ATI RADEON X1800 / X1900 / HD 2000 / HD 4000 / HD 5000 series
ATI HD 3000 NOT supported at time of release.
Laptop versions of these cards may work but are NOT supported. These chipsets are the only ones that will run this game.
They couldn't be more clear about the fact that the game will only run on Nvidia and Ati chipsets.

You decided to deliberately ignore this and are now complaining that it is, in fact, true. WTF?

Creating a thread like this, with such a ludicrous title, is simply a sh*tty thing to do and neither fair to the developers nor other gamers.

This may not be the best port ever, you're right, it isn't really well optimized, but it's certainly far from the worst.

And the fact that it doesn't run on a mobile system that isn't meant for gaming, on a GPU that is one of the slowest there is even in the embedded market, with 3D drivers that are still far from mature ... that really doesn't give you the right to create a thread like this.
freibooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
James Matthews

I fully accept that I made the wrong decision against the requirements but it annoys me that they dont put in the time to release a game that is functional on both high and low end cards and developed around the both of them. It just seems lazy. Computers and games move along far to quickly for me to keep up, just seems that these companies are producing games for the best computers whilst ignoring those that cant afford the top end PC's
James Matthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #7
Screenpi

Quote:
I fully accept that I made the wrong decision against the requirements but it annoys me that they dont put in the time to release a game that is functional on both high and low end cards and developed around the both of them. It just seems lazy. Computers and games move along far to quickly for me to keep up, just seems that these companies are producing games for the best computers whilst ignoring those that cant afford the top end PC's
While I agree that this is a bad port, the fact is that you don't have a dedicated GPU, and you therefore shouldn't expect anything to run on it without major frame rate drops.

The fact that you can run skyrim and arkham city is surprising and great, but you'd be best to get an actual desktop to play games on.
Screenpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
aoetje

Quote:
...my system isnt up to the standard... I am able to run games such as Skyrim and Batman Arkham asylum...at a playable framerate of 25-35...

To keep it short:

- laptops are for girls to watch movies and play solitare

- not even gonna comment on the 4GB of ram, it means nothing if its not chosen properly for a specific build

- 25 fps is a slideshow not a playable framerate

Sorry mate, but you need to get a gaming PC, period.

I tried to be nice, freibooter nailed it.

Last edited by aoetje: 07-20-2012 at 01:24 PM.
aoetje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #9
TheMadCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoetje View Post

I beg to differ...I have an Asus G73JW with an i7, a GTX 460M and 6 gigs of RAM...run all my games on it and it's quite amazing
TheMadCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #10
hughesyboozy

Quote:
Well your not excepting it are you.... He posted the requirements and it states it won't run on what you have but you "chose" to ignore it so therefore the title should read- "I don't read what the min specs are and I probably should have" Not being nasty but its your fault and not the devs and this is coming from a customer who hates Ubisoft soo.. Next time please read what's in front of you and save your cash especially with such a low end system.
hughesyboozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #11
Ytsejam

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoetje View Post
To keep it short:

- not even gonna comment on the 4GB of ram, it means nothing if its not chosen properly for a specific build

- 25 fps is a slideshow not a playable framerate

Sorry mate, but you need to get a gaming PC, period.

I tried to be nice, freibooter nailed it.
- About laptops, you're either trolling or you probably never worked a day in your life. Also, there are very powerful laptops out there, for games and other demanding programs.

- 25fps might not be the best for games, but is far from being a slideshow.

- What do you mean "4GB of ram means nothing if its not chosen properly"? I know there are different brands and frequencies and all that, but I never saw any system requirements for a game that asks for a specific ram brand/model.

That being said, I agree the OP needs a better computer to run games properly.
Ytsejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #12
Pooeypants

Quote:
I think you have it backwards; thanks to consoles we have had a virtual stasis in graphics since nearly late 2007 (release of Crysis, only a few games since then has bettered it in graphical fidelity).

The fact is, any discrete graphics card will run a UE3 powered game. Laptops are rarely built for gaming; if you want to game on one make sure you spend the necessary money because you get what you pay for (there is no such thing as a free lunch). Alternatively, try OnLive?

I currently own a 5850, released in Autumn of 2009... nearly 3 years and I can still play the majority of games released today in high (but not ultra) settings. This goes to show how much the graphics side has stagnated.
Pooeypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #13
Uxot

You know what i hate the most in this port,30 FPS lock in co-op...like fck off this is for PC not fcking consoles,doesnt deserve any money at all.
Uxot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #14
kenpojujitsu3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogglez View Post
It's still poorly optimized, it uses Unreal 3 engine which isn't very resource heavy.
No it doesn't. It uses a heavily modded Unreal 2.5. They call it the LEAD engine.
kenpojujitsu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:49 AM   #15
Gogglez

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpojujitsu3 View Post
No it doesn't. It uses a heavily modded Unreal 2.5. They call it the LEAD engine.
My mistake. I was just thinking for a moment that this was a new game, because I bought it recently.

But it's still poorly ported/optimized and that 30 fps lock on co-op is just lame. Whole series went backwards after CT.
Gogglez is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Tom Clancy collection > Splinter Cell series