Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Fallout series > Fallout 3

Old 07-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
Dalkorr

Talking How to fix Fallout 3 Crash on Windows 7 - Proven fix

Are you getting a crash where you can reach the title screen, but when you start a game it crashes to the desktop? This is a very common problem with steam users with Windows 7 and unfortunately it seems that Bethesta have confirmed that they will not release a patch.

However there is a very easy fix for this. If you follow the next 5 steps exactly, you should find that the game will run without crashing.

Step 1: Go to http://www.mediafire.com/?flgl2nct1du0y1x and download d3d9.dll. When you download, make sure you click on the button which says 'Download (1.74 MB)'. There are usually ads on this page and I would take it under advisement NOT to click on anything else.

Step 2: Move the .dll file to your Fallout 3 folder. This can usually be found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 3

MAKE SURE THAT FALLOUT 3 IS NOT OPEN FOR THE NEXT STEPS

Step 3: Open up the Configuration file in Notepad, (Which should be named "Fallout_default")press Ctrl+F and find the following line of text. NOTE: THIS IS CASE SENSITIVE

bUseThreadedAI=0

You must change this to:

bUseThreadedAI=1

Step 4: Directly underneath the changed line of text, create a new line and type:

iNumHWThreads=2

Step 5: Save the config file and then close. Then try to launch Fallout 3.

These steps are basically telling the game to launch using just 2 cores. This way it will make sure that the game will not freeze due to errors trying to find 'outdated' cores.

This fix will usually solve your problems, however if this has not worked and the game is still crashing then try these additional steps:

-Uninstall Fallout 3, disable .NET 3.1 under 'Turn windows features On or Off', then reinstall.

-Renaming or deleting the music folder inside the Fallout 3 folder apparently helps as well somehow?

If this has not helped in any way I am sorry, I guess you will just have to buy an Xbox and run it off that

Last edited by Dalkorr: 07-26-2012 at 05:57 AM. Reason: To ensure any Malware problems are avoided
Old 07-25-2012, 02:49 AM   #2
redscab69

You need to edit the the fallout ini file located in mydocuments-mygames-fallout 3 NOT the fallout_default file located in the STEAM COMMON folder! Proofs in the pudding, try it! It's the only thing that worked for me.
redscab69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
Dalkorr

Quote:
Originally Posted by redscab69 View Post
You need to edit the the fallout ini file located in mydocuments-mygames-fallout 3 NOT the fallout_default file located in the STEAM COMMON folder!
Actually it works both ways. The ini file is exactly the same and seeing as this is a fix for the steam version, I thought it would be appropriate to go where majority of ini files for steam games are.

You are right though you can change it there instead but it really doesn't make a difference if you choose one or the other.
Dalkorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
The_Sven

Disabling the .Net 3.1 thing worked for me but the site with the download gave me malware. Anyone know how to get rid of Searcnu or Searchqu?
The_Sven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:52 AM   #5
Dalkorr

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sven View Post
the site with the download gave me malware. Anyone know how to get rid of Searcnu or Searchqu?
I'm really sorry that this has happened to you. When I downloaded the .dll it didn't start downloading anything else and I was able to move the file with no additional problems afterwards. I'll double check the link and remove if necessary to prevent any other attacks.

As for the Malware I have found some solutions for you. If you are running Windows 7 this should work.

Removing Searchqu
Step 1: Go to Start Menu, Control Panel then Uninstall a Program.

Step 2: Find 'Searchqu Toolbar' on the list, select it and click Uninstall near the top of the window.

Removing Searchnu This is a method if you use Internet Explorer, there are similar methods which are used for Firefox and Chrome.

Step 1: Open Internet Explorer, then click on Tools, then Manage Add-ons.

Step 2: Click Search Providers on the left hand side tab, then click Bing and click the Set as default button near the bottom.

Step 3: Select 'Search Results' and click the Remove button.

Step 4: Go back to the Tools menu and click on Internet Options. Once there you should be on the General tab. You will see the Searchnu URL in a box under Homepage. Delete this and set it to your preferred Homepage e.g. http://www.google.com

As I have said before this is the method for removing on Internet Explorer. If you use other browsers such as Firefox or Chrome you will have to use a similar method to remove this AS WELL.

Anyway, hope this has helped you
Old 07-28-2012, 06:21 AM   #6
aashish108

I did all these changes the OP suggested and then did compatibility settings on the exe to XP and that worked for me! Cheers.
aashish108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:06 AM   #7
ConkertheCat

I got to step to and get some error saying this wouldnt work if the game was already installed then it gave me some odd number error and wouldnt allow me to put the files in the folder....any clue why?
ConkertheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:37 AM   #8
Dalkorr

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashish108 View Post
I did all these changes the OP suggested and then did compatibility settings on the exe to XP and that worked for me! Cheers.
That's good to hear! Hope you have fun with the game
Old 07-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #9
Dalkorr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConkertheCat View Post
I got to step to and get some error saying this wouldnt work if the game was already installed then it gave me some odd number error and wouldnt allow me to put the files in the folder....any clue why?
That's odd, I have a few suggestions but some you might not want to hear.

First of all, if you're saying that you've gotten to step 2 then that means that you should have downloaded the .dll file. When you move it to the Fallout 3 folder it should just place it there without having to edit it in any way. If it's inside the folder itself then you won't have any problems getting onto the next step. However, if it isn't in the folder, then if you go to My Downloads on your User folder it should still be inside there. All you need to do is essentially Copy & Paste into the Fallout 3 folder and that is it.

If you are getting an error message which is stopping you from putting anything into folders you might be having technical issues with your administrative security. Click Control Panel then User Accounts and double check that nothing has been changed such as administrative statuses etc. You may also want to go to Control Panel, System and Security, Change User Account Control settings to see if your computer is blocking certain actions.

*EDIT*
The last thing that you may unfortunately need to do is uninstall Fallout 3 then reinstall. I'm not entirely sure how you can do this, because I cannot see an uninstall option within the folder. My guess would be that you would have to go to Control Panel, Programs, Uninstall a Program then find Fallout 3 on the list and either click Remove or Uninstall, whichever is relevant. Then you may have to reinstall by downloading from Steam again and try to drag the .dll file straight into the folder. Please note that this is probably the last resort that you might have to do, and if anyone has a more efficient solution please let me know

If you have any other questions please let me know and I hope that this has helped

Last edited by Dalkorr: 07-28-2012 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Forgot to add this in
Old 07-28-2012, 10:36 AM   #10
ConkertheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalkorr View Post

If you have any other questions please let me know and I hope that this has helped
Well i un and then reinstalled and it let me add the files..now i just edited the 1 line and added the 2nd....

But now i get the error

Steam - Game Launch Failed
Fallout 3 - Game of the year edition failed to start (error code 83).

I tried to start it up again and got the error

Steam Error - Application load error P:0000065432

NOW EVERY time i try the game it get t 2nd error and it freezes my steam -.- *sighs*

Before i tried this i at least got to the menu and tried to start a new game before it crashed

note: I didnt do the additional steps because the 2nd one i hear mutes the game...

Last edited by ConkertheCat: 07-28-2012 at 10:58 AM.
ConkertheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:44 PM   #11
aashish108

I think I spoke too soon

I honestly don't know what is going on but I now get black screens on load and after alt-tabbing out and in, freezes although you can still here things from the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalkorr View Post
That's good to hear! Hope you have fun with the game
Old 07-28-2012, 02:39 PM   #12
aashish108

OK< its started to behave now for some reason! ATM the game is great
Quote:
Originally Posted by aashish108 View Post
I think I spoke too soon

I honestly don't know what is going on but I now get black screens on load and after alt-tabbing out and in, freezes although you can still here things from the game.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #13
futurefields

just so you know alt-tab has always been rally buggy with Fallout 3

it still doesnt work for me, but the game otherwise runs eprfect win7x64
futurefields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:54 PM   #14
seenoevil3

well i try everythinbg on this page
the downloading of the file
to the edit og the fallout file
and tried turning off my net thingy...
but everytime i clickl new game it still crashes
seenoevil3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:16 AM   #15
aashish108

Have you tried enabling compatibility mode - xp? Check all the options there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seenoevil3 View Post
well i try everythinbg on this page
the downloading of the file
to the edit og the fallout file
and tried turning off my net thingy...
but everytime i clickl new game it still crashes

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Fallout series > Fallout 3