Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Ys Series

Old 07-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #1
zulen

Question the timeline of ys

I cant seem to figure out the timeline of the ys series . so if anyone can list the games in order that will help me a lot
Old 07-20-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
Wyrdwad

XSEED
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulen View Post
I cant seem to figure out the timeline of the ys series . so if anyone can list the games in order that will help me a lot
I don't know the exact timeline off-hand (though someone else will, I guarantee it!), but I can definitely list the games in order.

Ys Origin comes first, taking place 700 years before any other title in the series. The rest of the games all take place within a year or two of the previous game, if not IMMEDIATELY afterward.

(1) Ys Origin
(2) Ancient Ys Vanished: Omen (Ys I)
(3) Ancient Ys Vanished: The Final Chapter (Ys II)
(4) Ys IV: Mask of the Sun
(5) Ys: The Oath in Felghana / Ys III: Wanderers From Ys (same story, two different tellings)
(6) Ys V: Lost Kefin, City of Sand
(7) Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim
(8) Ys Seven

Non-canon:
- Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys (which, if it WERE canon, would take place after Ys III)
- Any other Ys title not mentioned here

It's also of note that pretty soon, Falcom will be releasing "Ys: Foliage Ocean in Celceta" on the PS Vita, which is a retelling of Ys IV. This should replace Ys IV: Mask of the Sun on the above list, once it's out... but whether or not Falcom decides to change up the timeline a bit is anyone's guess at this point.

-Tom
Wyrdwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:53 PM   #3
ladynadiad

There's a couple I do know what the time relations are at least, so I'll fill those in.

Ys II takes place immediately after Ys I.
Ys Oath in Felghana never says how much time passed, but seems to be just the amount of time to travel from Esteria to Felghana by ship, so likely around a month after Ys II

Have no idea with the next ones until Seven, which is 6 months after Ark of Napishtim.
ladynadiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:34 PM   #4
Hyakitaki

YOU MUST LOCALIZE THE NEW YS GAME FOR THE VITA!!! ALL CAPS MEANS THIS IS IMPORTANT TO ME.
Hyakitaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
zulen

thanks for the help guys .I personally only played ys 1,2 and the oath of felghana so im thinking to finish mask of the sun and orgin
then move to the others according to the time line or should I finish them by the order they are released? I really want to hear what you guys think .
zulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:40 PM   #6
Wyrdwad

XSEED
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulen View Post
thanks for the help guys .I personally only played ys 1,2 and the oath of felghana so im thinking to finish mask of the sun and orgin
then move to the others according to the time line or should I finish them by the order they are released? I really want to hear what you guys think .
Ys games can be played in any order -- since you've played I & II and Oath in Felghana, you probably figured out that the connection between each game is very, very loose (with I & II being the obvious exception, which is why those two are almost always packaged together). Each new Ys game usually starts with Adol arriving in some new land, where he faces some new evil and catches the eye of some new love interest (whom he subsequently ignores, since he clearly only has eyes for Dogi!).

This pattern continues in pretty much every Ys game except Ys Origin -- and it's only not present in Ys Origin because that game takes place centuries before Adol was even born!

You can try playing the Ys games in chronological order if you'd like, but you may run into a few snags with Ys IV and Ys V. The former has multiple games to its name, and it's never been less clear which one is the "true" telling, what with Falcom's own Vita version on its way. And Ys V has simply never been translated, by fans or otherwise -- it's not available in English anywhere, so unless you can read Japanese, you'd have no means of interpreting its story (though you're really not missing anything particularly important, as Ys V is very disconnected from the rest of the series, much as Felghana and Seven are -- the only real connection is the introduction of Terra, who later makes an appearance in Ys VI, but the less dialogue you get from her, the better!).

-Tom
Old 07-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #7
Corrderio

Speaking of the timeline, I head the Ys coming to the Vita (Ocean something) is going to be another retelling of Ys IV. Any info on if it's a retelling of Mask of the Sun or Dawn of Ys?
Corrderio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:14 PM   #8
Wyrdwad

XSEED
Seems like it's neither -- it's a brand new version of Ys IV that's totally separate from either previous telling of the story. Still seems to have the same characters, but one of the new things they're advertising for the Vita version is that Adol loses his memories and has to "find" them -- something which never occurred in either previous telling of the game's story.

I'll be interested to see how it stacks up.

-Tom
Old 07-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #9
Corrderio

Hmm I see. Kinda wish I knew the scoop on Dawn of Ys/Mask of the Sun. I heard there was a translation for the Super Famicom version. Though I wonder if it's 100% complete or not. Might have to check that out some day.
Corrderio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #10
Jeffro

I can't get that specific rom to work properly on SNES9x, not a translation problem, the graphics are all messed up.

Was there ever an english release of it I can purchase?(Mask of the Sun).
Jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:27 PM   #11
Wyrdwad

XSEED
Nope. Mask of the Sun and Dawn of Ys both got fan-translations, but sadly, that's it.

-Tom
Old 07-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #12
Dexterryu

Are you guys going to bring the new Ys game you mentioned to Steam?
Dexterryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:45 AM   #13
Wyrdwad

XSEED
You mean the new one Falcom's releasing on the Vita in September? I'm afraid it's a PS Vita exclusive. Falcom (or someone else) would have to port it to PC before we could even consider anything like that.

-Tom
Old 08-14-2012, 09:10 AM   #14
andrew lb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrdwad View Post
Each new Ys game usually starts with Adol arriving in some new land, where he faces some new evil and catches the eye of some new love interest (whom he subsequently ignores, since he clearly only has eyes for Dogi!).
I think he is still bent out of shape from Ys I & II in which Feena pretty much promises him the world with her comments like "Please, you must come back to me alive", "I'll be waiting...", "I'll be waiting for your return... as long as it takes."... among others.

Then after he saves the world for her, she casts poor Adol aside as if he were yesterdays newspaper.

I can't imagine what must have been going through his head throughout both games other than he was soooo stoked on the gorgeous girl he had met who was really into him... then he finds out she is an actual goddess!! I'm certain he was saying to himself "dude... i'm going to score with a goddess as soon as I kick Darm's a$$!!! Nothing can stop me!!"

... famous last words.
andrew lb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #15
BasilZero

I'm pretty sure its probably been asked, but after finishing Origin (and buying Oath in Felghana), was wondering if there is a chance that Ys I & II will be released on steam sometime in the future?

I usually play games in order (to understand the timeline), which is why I'm asking it here rather than making a new thread xD.

Last edited by BasilZero: 08-14-2012 at 02:18 PM.
BasilZero is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Ys Series