Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Star Wars collection > Star Wars Battlefront II

Old 07-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
soundhate

Red face Battlefront II Windows closes and returns to desktop!

Hi,

I just bought Star Wars Battlefront II.

Everything works but when I try to start a Mission it just returns to desktop and game closes.

Things I already tried:

- Turn Mic in
- turned all sounds off
- compatibility mode
- as administrator run
- windowed mode
- change graphics
- Put the battlefront II exe to work with 1 core

My System Data:

AMD Phenom X4 925 Processor 2,80 GHz
Windows 7 X64 8 GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

I hope anyone can help me Greetings
Old 07-22-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
wootlanter

Banned
Try this:

Control panel > hardware and sound > sound > manage audio devices > recording tab > right click an open area under mic and line in > mark a tick next to show disabled devices > right click on the stereo mix icon that appears and click enable
wootlanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
d4rkl04f

wootlanter, I was having the same problem and your solution worked for me. Thanks!
d4rkl04f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:57 AM   #4
McSquigy13

Thanks a bunch wootlander. My game is working now
McSquigy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #5
soundhate

Worked, thanks.
soundhate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #6
wizkid5000

Any idea how to fix it with Windows XP.... yeas... XP
wizkid5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:38 AM   #7
wootlanter

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizkid5000 View Post
Any idea how to fix it with Windows XP.... yeas... XP
I have XP dual booted on the same computer, and it worked straight away, even with sound "hardware" (even though it didn't work on exactly the same hardware, but with windows 7 x64 as the OS, without me doing what is described above).

Is it crashing to the desktop right as you click "new game"?

Also, in the actual star wars game, can you go to options > audio > mixer config > disabled. Does it work then?

BTW, I really think this game works better under XP than it does with 7. While it will work with 7, even after doing the workaround, I still got a crash mid game at one point that 'felt' exactly the same as the crash that occurs when you don't enable stereo mix. Playing with XP, I haven't had any crashes.

Last edited by wootlanter: 07-25-2012 at 07:44 AM.
wootlanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:14 PM   #8
JKZakamurite

Hey all,
It looks like I'm having the exact same problem as everyone else, so I looked in sound>recording and checked the 'show disabled devices', but... no stereo mix. Anything I can do to get it on there?

Edit:
False alarm, tried the immediately above instruction and it worked.

Last edited by JKZakamurite: 07-25-2012 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Fixed Problem
JKZakamurite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:06 AM   #9
MasterWarMage

have the same problem, I'm just re-installing it and have enabled stereo mix, will see if this has worked, I will be back if it didn't
MasterWarMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:00 AM   #10
jcallsen6

Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootlanter View Post
I have XP dual booted on the same computer, and it worked straight away, even with sound "hardware" (even though it didn't work on exactly the same hardware, but with windows 7 x64 as the OS, without me doing what is described above).

Is it crashing to the desktop right as you click "new game"?

Also, in the actual star wars game, can you go to options > audio > mixer config > disabled. Does it work then?

BTW, I really think this game works better under XP than it does with 7. While it will work with 7, even after doing the workaround, I still got a crash mid game at one point that 'felt' exactly the same as the crash that occurs when you don't enable stereo mix. Playing with XP, I haven't had any crashes.
I am running 7, I tried your solution and it works, I want sound though, please help, the other solution did not help because my headphones are enabled already
thanks
jcallsen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #11
AWanderingFlame

I'm running Win 7 32x
I have the same problem, but I can't get a Stereo Mix option to appear under Microphone and Line In, no matter how many times I untick and retick the box and restart.

I'll try wootlanter's in game fix, hopefully that works.

Edit: I found disabling sound and then re-enabling it after worked once, but now it doesn't work anymore. If the sound isn't off when I load a map, the game crashes, and once I'm in a map, it doesn't give me the option to re-enable sound (so I'm not sure how I did it the first time).

The headphone trick doesn't seem to work either (plugging them into the mic slot). I tried doing that at startup, and I tried leaving them in the speaker jack and plugging them back in when the game launches. So it seems the game works fine without sound.

Edit 2: I also downloaded the suggested Realtek drivers, and Stereo Mix still isn't an option.

Last edited by AWanderingFlame: 09-04-2012 at 02:26 PM.
AWanderingFlame is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Star Wars collection > Star Wars Battlefront II