Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Saints Row The Third

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 03:37 AM   #151
Dayt
 
Join Date: May 2012
Reputation: 9
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hahahehe View Post
If you purchased a car from a retailer for, lets say £6,995, then a few days later you drove past the garage and saw a notice in the windows stating the price had been lowered , would you seriously consider walking in and asking the salesman to refund you the difference?

You'd be laughed out of the salesroom.

The fact is this, there are no rules for the sales, there was no prior announcement of the sale, no notice of games which would be on sale nor how much would be off the price and nothing anywhere which suggests you are entitled to get the lowest price the game will be on sale for during the sale period.

When you purchased the game, it was of your own accord, at your own time and pace with no enticement by Valve (other than the reduction in price which is the point of the sale), essentially it was your choice to buy it when you did, purchasing it also entered you into a contract with Valve which you agreed to when you ticked the "I have read and agree to the terms and conditions" box during the checkout process.

Sorry to break it to y'all but it really is tough that you missed out, don't like it, well Valve will offer a one time refund on a game if you are dissatisfied but then you lose the game totally, will be refunded the discounted price you paid and if you want to buy it again will have to pay full price. How about y'all shut up moaning and go play the game you bought at a fantastic price, pretend the enemies are Valve employees if it makes you happy.
I can get a refund if the item I purchased during a sale was reduced in price after a few days. Shops won't even contest it, you just bring the slip and they refund you.
Dayt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:02 AM   #152
hahahehe
 
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Reputation: 816
Posts: 2,332
Actually that's not true at all. A tiny few shops might honour a second discount but trading laws (at least here in the UK) don't require them to so in 99.9& of shops you'd be told to go away.

That and the fact that the return of goods act does not apply to cds, dvds or games due to the risk of content reproduction.
hahahehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:54 AM   #153
jackchortz
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Reputation: 28
Posts: 101
What all these steam apologists don't realize is that I doubt the company really believes building up bad blood with the consumer is really worth $1 profit.
jackchortz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #154
Dayt
 
Join Date: May 2012
Reputation: 9
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hahahehe View Post
Actually that's not true at all. A tiny few shops might honour a second discount but trading laws (at least here in the UK) don't require them to so in 99.9& of shops you'd be told to go away.

That and the fact that the return of goods act does not apply to cds, dvds or games due to the risk of content reproduction.
Doesn't matter, I can provide dozens of anecdotes favoring my side and you can counter those with yours. I only posted my example to show you that stuff works the other way around as well.

If you consider this in the context of Steam deals, ramifications are huge. First of all, daily deals, have always been the lowest possible price point for all games. It has been since they created them. So Valve has convinced their userbase that their pricing will be consistent within itself, barring accidents. This wasn't an accident by the way in case you are wondering.

At the end of the day, its just 10 bucks, not a big deal. What most people are jarateed about is they bought the game in good faith, most of them probably only bought it because it was cheap, and then they reduced it even further. Not to mention the fact that it appeared on daily, flash and community deals for a total of 5 times, and ended up on top 3 every single time.

Thats highly inconsistent with every sale Valve has ever did. Yes they do not provide a price guarantee officially, but they adhered to one for the last 2 years. Now out of the blue, this happens? Sorry, but I don't care about $10, what I care about is the ability to buy random and being able to play them at random times.
Dayt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #155
hahahehe
 
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Reputation: 816
Posts: 2,332
You do have a point and I can see why you'd be cross.

The price has to be agreed with the publisher, in this case THQ may have not agreed the price until the end.of the sale, they may have even told Valve at the last minute to drop if lower for the last day. Whatever happened it was down to THQ and not Valve.

Valves EULA states that you cannot get a refund on a game that's released, only on a pre order. They give everyone one good grace refund, other than that you have nowhere to go with refunds.
hahahehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #156
EvilMrGubGub
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Reputation: 0
Posts: 25
I wasn't going to but this game BECAUSE of the sheer amount of DLC. When they cut the price of that DLC to hardly anything, I'll bite. I do not, however, expect to buy any more released DLC unless I can get it at a reasonable discount.

EDIT: And as far as all this arguing over people buying the pack at 25$ earlier in the sale instead of waiting until the end, stop it. If you would have thought anything through you would have realized that the price could only go lower, and since it isn't going to go any higher you might as well wait until the absolute last time it comes up. Granted I realize SR3 was on the "Flash" and Daily deal list's (Hey, this end's soon, buy me now! mentality), but being as it was put up more than once that should have been an indicator that it was going to be going up again, so you could have, in reasonably good faith waited. I, in fact, made this very same mistake with my purchase of Max Payne 3. I saw it on sale the second day at a 33% discounted price, waited until the next day, and then finally snapped. Of course in the round of deal's directly following my purchase it was discounted to 50$, an extra 10$ USD. Sure, I was mad. Came to my computer, saw the deal, and left in a fit of swearing (Cursing myself for not waiting, I also did the same thing with the last Bioshock deal. (Payed 10$ for each game during franchise sale, next day up for 5$ each, which I should have seen coming.)

tldr: Buying early screwed with me, twice. Hot selling item, wait until the end if you already know the most you'd pay for it regardless, don't complain because you didn't wait for something you could of

Don't throw the "I didn't want to miss it!" argument (Though it has it's points, I know), SR3 went on sale quite early, being a Hot seller (In top 20 normally) we knew it was going to go lower at some point. The same was could have been said for Skyrim and Max Payne (I admit I was genuinely surprised MP3 went on sale for as much as it did...still sad I lost my 10$ too, but you don't see my posting in the forums about it!) (Except now...but I'm using it as an example.....stop poking holes in my argument, bad man.)

Last edited by EvilMrGubGub: 07-24-2012 at 09:22 PM.
EvilMrGubGub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:29 AM   #157
Dayt
 
Join Date: May 2012
Reputation: 9
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hahahehe View Post
You do have a point and I can see why you'd be cross.

The price has to be agreed with the publisher, in this case THQ may have not agreed the price until the end.of the sale, they may have even told Valve at the last minute to drop if lower for the last day. Whatever happened it was down to THQ and not Valve.

Valves EULA states that you cannot get a refund on a game that's released, only on a pre order. They give everyone one good grace refund, other than that you have nowhere to go with refunds.
Actually, you can get a refund on Steam, if you live in UK. There are tons of examples and guides on how to receive a refund from Steam citing UK's digital sales law. Valve has to adhere to the local laws if they want to do business there, so they give out refunds.

I don't live in UK, so I can't take advantage of that. If I had a UK credit card and billing address, I obviously would, out of principle, not for the $10.

Edit: For those who are wondering; EULA's are not valid if they contradict local laws.

Last edited by Dayt: 07-25-2012 at 03:33 AM.
Dayt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:14 AM   #158
ElfShotTheFood
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Reputation: 314
Posts: 1,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMrGubGub View Post
I wasn't going to but this game BECAUSE of the sheer amount of DLC. When they cut the price of that DLC to hardly anything, I'll bite. I do not, however, expect to buy any more released DLC unless I can get it at a reasonable discount.

EDIT: And as far as all this arguing over people buying the pack at 25$ earlier in the sale instead of waiting until the end, stop it. If you would have thought anything through you would have realized that the price could only go lower, and since it isn't going to go any higher you might as well wait until the absolute last time it comes up. Granted I realize SR3 was on the "Flash" and Daily deal list's (Hey, this end's soon, buy me now! mentality), but being as it was put up more than once that should have been an indicator that it was going to be going up again, so you could have, in reasonably good faith waited. I, in fact, made this very same mistake with my purchase of Max Payne 3. I saw it on sale the second day at a 33% discounted price, waited until the next day, and then finally snapped. Of course in the round of deal's directly following my purchase it was discounted to 50$, an extra 10$ USD. Sure, I was mad. Came to my computer, saw the deal, and left in a fit of swearing (Cursing myself for not waiting, I also did the same thing with the last Bioshock deal. (Payed 10$ for each game during franchise sale, next day up for 5$ each, which I should have seen coming.)

tldr: Buying early screwed with me, twice. Hot selling item, wait until the end if you already know the most you'd pay for it regardless, don't complain because you didn't wait for something you could of

Don't throw the "I didn't want to miss it!" argument (Though it has it's points, I know), SR3 went on sale quite early, being a Hot seller (In top 20 normally) we knew it was going to go lower at some point. The same was could have been said for Skyrim and Max Payne (I admit I was genuinely surprised MP3 went on sale for as much as it did...still sad I lost my 10$ too, but you don't see my posting in the forums about it!) (Except now...but I'm using it as an example.....stop poking holes in my argument, bad man.)
I've never seen a game in a big Steam sale start at 75% off and then get an even bigger discount on the last day. *That* is what is annoying to the people who bought it at 75% off, because history shows that that sort of thing has never happened here.

PS - I got the game at 87% off so I'm not bitter about this, just surprised.
ElfShotTheFood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:21 AM   #159
Psywar
 
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Reputation: 29
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by StabMasterJozzz View Post
Got it for $9.79. Pretty happy
Australia master race, reporting in.

Honestly though, the Franchise pack was cheaper than the game individually for us.
Psywar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Saints Row The Third


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.