Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Age of Empires III

Old 07-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
PotatoHunter

Age of Empires III Won't Start

Yeah so I just got Age of Empires 3: Complete edition from the sales...actually it was a gift but whatever. But everytime I try to run it, it doesn't load up. The Age of Empires III picture thingy pops up but it just stays there and is listed as Non-Responding on my Task Manager after about 3 seconds.

My computer is strong enough to play it, and all my drivers are updated. I'm running Windows 7 on an Acer Aspire laptop.

Here are the exact steps of what happens every time for any of games/ 2 expansions.

1) I run the game through Steam
2) Steam pops up with Allow steam to make the following changes, which lists something like buildbot4 or something.
3) After I click yes ( i have to click yes or it doesn't go anywhere), steam pops up with Performing Time Setup, which is the most random part of this, because somes its 1 of 3, 1 of 4, 2 of 4 ect. Doesn't ever seem to finish.
4) Windows begins to run the game, switching to Windows 7 basic display because I have Aero running.
5) The Age of Empires 3 picture thingy pops up, and freezes after 3 seconds.

Anyway, I've tried alot of crap, running it with Administator on and off and all sorts of useless ideas that are scattered around Google, but I want to get this fixed. If anyone has any solid ideas or solutions, please respond.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #2
MS Ryz0n

Microsoft Games Studios
Unfortunately the game was not designed on Windows 7, while it works for nearly every user, there's no possible way for me to guarantee it'll work on every hardware configuration.
In your case I would suggest trying the game in windowed mode. When it first pops up, you can try hitting alt + enter to force it into windowed mode. Alternatively you can edit the user.cfg file to have the game start in windowed mode.

Windowed mode can also be set by manually editing the \My Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3\Startup\user.cfg file
MS Ryz0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
PotatoHunter

There isn't a user.cfg file in that folder. Nor is it in my friend's file. Instead he has a cfg file called "persistent".
PotatoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
SuperProud

Howdy, try using Vista (Service Pack 3) compatibility settings.

Have a look in C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Age of Empires 3\bin

Right click the age3 application file and choose properties. Under the compatibility tab choose Windows Vista (Service Pack 2) and make sure you tick the 'Run this program as an administrator' checked.

Hope it helps and best of luck.

SuperProud
SuperProud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
PotatoHunter

Hey thanks dude worked first shot! Spread the word broski!
PotatoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
MS Ryz0n

Microsoft Games Studios
SuperProud, that's pretty odd that Vista compatibility would work. When the game is installed through steam it sets XP compatibility enabled on win7. Go figure, I'm glad it's working for you Potato.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:17 AM   #7
Skybolt

At the end of my tether

Hey guys,

I am having the exact same problem, it doesn't respond to being windowed and the Vista compatibility fix doesn't work unfortunately. Any suggestions?! I was thinking about trying to install with my mates vanilla Age3 disc but using my product key. However, I don't want to risk getting my product key bricked, does anyone know if this would work?
Skybolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #8
MS Ryz0n

Microsoft Games Studios
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybolt View Post
Hey guys,

I am having the exact same problem, it doesn't respond to being windowed and the Vista compatibility fix doesn't work unfortunately. Any suggestions?! I was thinking about trying to install with my mates vanilla Age3 disc but using my product key. However, I don't want to risk getting my product key bricked, does anyone know if this would work?
I can't guarantee your product key will work on the retail version (since there are multiple SKUs out there), however there is no harm in testing it. From our end it wouldn't 'brick' the CD key in any way.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:32 AM   #9
hellion9999

This worked for me.

Start either Age of Empires: The War Chiefs or Age of Empires: The Asian Dynasties. (they should launch)

When at the game menu, select single-player, then select campaign - the first campaign is "Blood, Ice and Steel".

TL;DR: Blood, Ice and Steel is Age of Empires III. So just launch one of the expansions and start this campaign to play the original game.
hellion9999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Age of Empires III