Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 07-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
invisifly2

Thumbs down Offline mode = Can't play mode.

I used to be able to go offline with steam and still be able to play my games. Now, however (after a few updates), If I go offline and try to run my games, steam informs me that "This operation cannot be preformed in offline mode" . This happens even when my computer itself is still connected to the internet.

Also, Being unable to go into offline mode without having an internet connection first = stupidity in terms of design.

This is complete crap. This is why pirating is rampant. People who PAY and are LOYAL customers get crap service, but people who STEAL actually get a BETTER experience because they don't have to put up with such NONSENSE. I purchased the games, they are downloaded on to my computer, taking up my hard-drive space. Why am I unable to play them unless my computer asks steam if it is okay first?
Old 07-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
pbryce

Did you run the games while online first ?
pbryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
Solberg

Cool

I have that problem too and I also hate it. I wish that they could fix it to where you wouldn't need to be online for your games to play.

Post #2
Solberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:11 PM   #4
invisifly2

Yes, I did run the games while online first. The first thing you do when you install a game is play it, and how could I install it if I was offline?
invisifly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
T@F

Offline has always been doggy,and does need fixing.
normally you encounter prob if you don't shut down steam proper.

But it sounds like your online then setting steam to go offline and its still not working.
the only thing you can try is del the blob file and try again.
if that don't work then contact valve support.

Ppl bash origin and gfwl but at least there offline works without a prob.
T@F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:34 AM   #6
invisifly2

For whatever reason, all my files have been converted to internet shortcuts instead of executables. This happened after an update, and I did not do it. The games still play, but I'm still having the same issue.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:57 AM   #7
heffebaycay

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisifly2 View Post
Also, Being unable to go into offline mode without having an internet connection first = stupidity in terms of design.
Interestingly I can go into offline mode without having an internet connection: when starting Steam, Steam automatically offers me to start in offline mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisifly2 View Post
For whatever reason, all my files have been converted to internet shortcuts instead of executables. This happened after an update, and I did not do it. The games still play, but I'm still having the same issue.
Could you be more specific? What does "all my files" mean? If they are internet shortcuts, where do they link to?

The first thing I would try to solve your original problem is reinstalling Steam. In order to do that without losing your games from your hard drive, please folllow these instructions: How to remove and refresh your Steam files.
heffebaycay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:00 PM   #8
invisifly2

It also gives me the option to start steam in offline mode when I don't have a connection. That doesn't mean it works though. It gives me the message that steam cannot go offline because my computer is unable to connect to the steam network.

By "all my files" I meant the files you click to start the game.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #9
Vaemer-Riit

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffebaycay View Post
Could you be more specific? What does "all my files" mean? If they are internet shortcuts, where do they link to?

I think the means the desktop shortcuts that are in the form of: steam://rungameid/208140 for whatever reason they sometimes loose their icons and get the default Web Link icon for some people.
Vaemer-Riit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
seseorang

Steam doesn't really install the games. It adds the registry files and runs necessary files the game asks of it before first run.

When you first "Install" a new game, you're ONLY downloading it's contents. When you go to PLAY, that's the first install procedure there.

I wish Steam would differentiate that.
seseorang is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips