Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V

Old 07-25-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
de_itachi

Infinite Loading Screen From Start Screen

Okay, I know there's a lot going around about certain types of Infinite Loading bugs, but I have yet to find a solution for this one. This is the problem I run into and the annoying way that I know to solve it:

Error
1. Load up Skyrim
2. Select "Continue" or load the most recent save file
3. Get stuck in infinite loading screen (Doesn't matter where the save file was created)
5. Ctrl+Alt+Del and close the game
4. Snap keyboard in half

Mild Fix of said error
1. Duck tape keyboard back together
2. Load up Skyrim
3. Select "Load" and choose a game save that was NOT the most recent save!
4. Once that save loads, pause the game
5. Go back to "load" and select the desired recent save
6. Wait the 10 seconds for the game to load up
7. Play Skyrim

Any body got an idea how I can ACTUALLY fix this bug?

I'm sporting hardware good enough to run the game on Ultra settings.
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 ti
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965, 3.40 GHz
Ram: 6 Gigs

My drivers are fully updated and my character is barely a lvl 2 so the save file should be nothing big at all.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:01 AM   #2
Abraxus

I'm not too sure how much this will help. I too experience the same thing once and awhile and have attributed it to a corrupted save game. The only solution I found is to load a save game previous to the corrupted one and start from that point on. I've gotten in to the habit of saving quite often.
Abraxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:24 AM   #3
MistySun

The poor keyboard did nothing wrong

I once had a problem when i chose *Continue* it CTD. Second time it was infinite load.

So i chose a previous save and no problems.

It could be (but i may be wrong about this) that when you save a game and quit the second after, it didn't have time to fully save everything...hence a corrupted save file.

I'm sure if that is nonsense peeps will let it be known
MistySun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:45 AM   #4
Breton Warrior

Corrupted saves seem to be the flavour of the month with Skyrim, yea I've seen them in all Beth games but not at the levels we are seeing here. I'm still convinced Synch is involved so I turned mine off ages ago and so far so good (hell I wish I had not written that).

Dropping back a save or maybe even quite a few is the most likely fix if its going to let you 'fix it' that is? Other possible reasons using Auto or Quick Save has been blamed many times but I've always used both in all their games and have never felt it was at fault.

Mods are getting a fair whack of the blame, and changing them around or removing one or two can cause a save issue, but with less and less ESM's being used some of the failings to start should have been improved. Missing ESM's where a constant crash problem when Mods got moved around and installed or removed as the ESP's quite often relied on a number of ESM's.

Closing the game too quickly??? maybe its a Beth game so why not, plus did you rub your lucky rabbits foot first as that is a big "Do this" with saves in Skyrim. Do real saves more often that Auto or Quick, at specific points where you want a really safe save use the console savegame command as I have only seen one of those fail and that was because I removed a custom race. Yep I had a custom Breton Warrior Race which I turned off and for a few seconds I was just a headless body then 'crash' oops, He He.
Breton Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:21 AM   #5
MistySun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breton Warrior View Post
Closing the game too quickly??? maybe its a Beth game so why not, plus did you rub your lucky rabbits foot first as that is a big "Do this" with saves in Skyrim. Do real saves more often that Auto or Quick, at specific points where you want a really safe save use the console savegame command as I have only seen one of those fail and that was because I removed a custom race. Yep I had a custom Breton Warrior Race which I turned off and for a few seconds I was just a headless body then 'crash' oops, He He.
I have never used a quick save. But always do a real save before entering a cave, or ruin, etc and always at the first sign of trouble.

I also wait a few seconds (about 15) before i actually close.
MistySun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #6
Shadowblade001

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by de_itachi View Post
Okay, I know there's a lot going around about certain types of Infinite Loading bugs, but I have yet to find a solution for this one. This is the problem I run into and the annoying way that I know to solve it:
I've had this a lot. I don't think it's a corrupt save or it would not load after loading an older one. It may be related to making ini tweaks or changing card setings or changing drivers and the game engine pauses while it's trying to work out what's different about the system and the settings in the save sort of thing - at least that is how it seems.

But I find that:

CTRL-ALT-DEL,
Stop Skyrim from not responding,
possibly re-boot,
certainly stop and restart Steam and MSI Afterburner (otherwise it shows fps but won't record video),
load an older save,
load the recent save,

always works. After playing a while and saving a few, it's stable again.

There are two types of stalled loads in my experience:
  1. the music plays/does not play and the smoke keeps moving and the splash screen image keeps moving but it never loads (inifinite load screen?)
  2. the music plays/does not play and the image stops moving and the smoke freezes and the game is hanged

Same answer for both questions.

~.~

Last edited by Shadowblade001: 07-26-2012 at 10:18 AM. Reason: typo
Shadowblade001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
faraany3k

I fixed this issue by launching the game from the other EXE in skyrim folder and not the launcher.
faraany3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:16 PM   #8
sarojz

Why don't you install skse and use the alternate skse launcher?
sarojz is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V