Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dead Island

Old 07-26-2012, 02:21 AM   #1
Professor Pew

Deep Silver
Dead Island GOTY upgrade issue

Hi everyone,

As you may have noticed, the store page for Dead Island has become the store page for Dead Island Game of the Year Edition. If you already own Dead Island on Steam, you receive a 50% off loyalty bonus meaning you can upgrade to the GOTY for half price.

Unfortunately we had an issue with the store page where it was not possible to upgrade to the GOTY edition yesterday. Valve has fixed this problem, but it looks like now there is a problem where you do not get 50% off when buying the GOTY edition if you already own the original.

We are working with Valve to resolve this issue as soon as possible.

In the meantime, please don't upgrade to the GOTY edition right now because you would pay the regular price. Save that money for some indie games instead!

If you purchase a downloadable version of Dead Island GOTY through other channels, like Amazon or GreenManGaming, they should activate on Steam without any problems.

Kind regards,

Maurice Tan - International Community Manager
Old 07-26-2012, 03:46 AM   #2
Renoxzor

Thanks for keeping us informed
Renoxzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:07 AM   #3
AlecTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Pew View Post
Hi everyone,

As you may have noticed, the store page for Dead Island has become the store page for Dead Island Game of the Year Edition. If you already own Dead Island on Steam, you receive a 50% off loyalty bonus meaning you can upgrade to the GOTY for half price.

Unfortunately we had an issue with the store page where it was not possible to upgrade to the GOTY edition yesterday. Valve has fixed this problem, but it looks like now there is a problem where you do not get 50% off when buying the GOTY edition if you already own the original.

We are working with Valve to resolve this issue as soon as possible.

In the meantime, please don't upgrade to the GOTY edition right now because you would pay the regular price. Save that money for some indie games instead!

If you purchase a downloadable version of Dead Island GOTY through other channels, like Amazon or GreenManGaming, they should activate on Steam without any problems.

Kind regards,

Maurice Tan - International Community Manager
Thanks for the info!

However, i have a problem with the Bloodbath DLC, where the game crashes when i load the EASY Arena, but other Arena works fine. I have already verified game cache and updated drivers.

My Specs:
AMD Phenom (tm)II X4 945 Processor 3.0 GHz
4 GB RAM
EVGA 460 EE Graphics Card

I have never experienced any other crashes in game. I really want to play all the arena in the DLC if possible.

Thanks for reading.

Alec.
AlecTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:27 AM   #4
Professor Pew

Deep Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecTR View Post
Thanks for the info!

However, i have a problem with the Bloodbath DLC, where the game crashes when i load the EASY Arena, but other Arena works fine. I have already verified game cache and updated drivers.

My Specs:
AMD Phenom (tm)II X4 945 Processor 3.0 GHz
4 GB RAM
EVGA 460 EE Graphics Card

I have never experienced any other crashes in game. I really want to play all the arena in the DLC if possible.

Thanks for reading.

Alec.
That is... really weird! I have no idea why it would crash on EASY but not on any other difficulty. Not that it should crash at all in the first place.

Could you fill out the tech support form over here? http://deadisland.deepsilver.com/support_en.php

The more info we have about issues, the better. Our tech support might also know a solution for this, although this is one of the craziest bugs/issues I've heard about so far.

--
Maurice
Professor Pew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:18 AM   #5
Jalan

Seems like Valve expected previous buyers to be upgraded automatically while you all had other plans.
Jalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:08 AM   #6
Winn

I think I don't understand why is now available only GOTY version. I mean during summer sale (and time before) the base price of Dead Island was 30€. Now suddenly the price for the game+dlcs is 20€. If I wanted to have dlcs I would now have to pay another 10€. I know some people who bought base game during this sale. All of them are now really disappointed.
Winn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:25 AM   #7
TimL

Nice lame removing all DLCs from the store. I wanted to pick up Ryder White during the Summer Sale but I didnt have the time to. Now I am expected to buy the GOTY version (to get Ryder White DLC) even though I pre-ordered the game full price last year and already own 3/4 of the content (DI, Bloodbath and Ripper mod)?
No thanks.
TimL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:45 AM   #8
nktrn

I have Dead Island with Ryder White DLC and Bloodbath Arena DLC. How can I get the Ripper Mod that is part of the GOTY edition? Do I really have to upgrade to GOTY just to get that?
nktrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:54 AM   #9
Forsythia

Quote:
Originally Posted by nktrn View Post
I have Dead Island with Ryder White DLC and Bloodbath Arena DLC. How can I get the Ripper Mod that is part of the GOTY edition? Do I really have to upgrade to GOTY just to get that?
Probably. But I'm not buying the GoTY just for that mod. And the reasoning that "it was for pre-orders only" goes out the window as it's included in the GoTY.

They should put that up seperately for a $2,- at most.
Forsythia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:35 AM   #10
Professor Pew

Deep Silver
@Jalan:
Well, it wouldn't have said "50% off loyalty discount for owners of Dead Island" if that was the case. That also wouldn't have been fair to anyone who bought the DLC before, if you ask me. But we're working with Valve to actually make the 50% off deal work like it is supposed to work, since it does not work when you try to purchase it right now :/

@Winn:
We wanted to give everyone a final chance to pick up the original Dead Island and separate DLCs they wanted during the Steam Summer sale for cheap, before changing it to the GOTY edition. It was on sale three times during the Summer Sale, with the game+Bloodbath Arena+Ryder White for less than the GOTY costs now.

@TimL:
After we have resolved the current technical issue with the 50% off deal, the DLC will technically still be available through the GOTY edition. It used to be $9.99 for Bloodbath Arena or Ryder White, and now you would get any remaining DLC for $9.99, regardless of what people may have already purchased. So you wouldn't be losing money compared to when you would only be able to buy Ryder White separately if there was no GOTY.

@nktrn/Forsythia:
Right now the GOTY edition would indeed be the only way to get the Ripper Mod if you hadn't pre-ordered it. However, I have raised the issue of the Ripper Mod internally and we are still looking into what we can do on Steam in terms of making it available somehow. Can't promise you anything on this front, but we know there are people who already own the DLC and want the Ripper just to have everything, so your voices have been heard
Professor Pew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:46 AM   #11
shroomalistic

steam says I already own the GOTY edition but I never bought it and Ryder White mod isnt available. Since it says I own it im gonna try to delete my game and reinstall and see what it says. While installing it still says im installing vanilla dead Island. No GOTY tag.
shroomalistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:05 AM   #12
hawk318

@deepsilver/ Proff Pew;

The ripper mod really isn't all that, but I guess there are a lot of peeps that for some reason need to complete as many achievements as possible so no doubt there would be a few what you mentioned would be happy...

However it would be more appreciated if you would kick Techland in the rump and get them to work on the games PC drivers as most of the game breaking problems have been from that aspect.
Personally I'm a retired game tester and have over 600 hours in DI and had few problems with the DI operation (just the usual glaring bugs)

Many have since left, but to keep selling a buggy game, not to mention releasing a GOTY version that hasn't been fixed...
WE see that Deep Silver had tried to make amends, however a promise to assure it's customers it will make sure ANY of the games you sell have a much wider base of resting and less game breaking bugs.

I purchase many games a year, but it doesn't take much for a company to lose faithful customers.... I'll never purchase another BLizzard game after the "Only play on-line" of Diablo 3.
Another release like DI could hurt DS as many of us in the gaming world know how a game producer can 'rush' a game through developement... SO DS is closely related to DI... and so is your rep.

I never had serious probs and noted DS has tried to ease the pain of others... Thanks for that (for those that had serious problems)

Now just kick the DI devs and wake them up! Or teach them how to make a game for PC's...
hawk318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:27 AM   #13
Eek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Pew View Post
@nktrn/Forsythia:
Right now the GOTY edition would indeed be the only way to get the Ripper Mod if you hadn't pre-ordered it. However, I have raised the issue of the Ripper Mod internally and we are still looking into what we can do on Steam in terms of making it available somehow. Can't promise you anything on this front, but we know there are people who already own the DLC and want the Ripper just to have everything, so your voices have been heard
Please try and find a way - it hardly seems fair those of us 'stuck in the middle' between pre-order and GOTY don't get the mod, regardless of its quality. I bought the other DLC prior and it sucks having one unobtainable extra that I can't buy or have gifted generally.

Can you not just add it for everybody that owns Dead Island? It's not as if it's a massive piece of DLC.

Last edited by Eek!: 07-27-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Eek! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #14
hyp36rmax

I was wondering what was going on with Dead Island today. I was excited thinking Deep Silver pulled a CD Projekt RED and complimented the GOTY (Enhanced) edition to all previous customers such as they did with The Witcher and its sequel. (Literally made me a fan and an instant buy for their next projects on day 1)

That would definitely make the news rounds and gain even more support from myself and countless others for this IP and further projects. Now I can only hope and reach out to Deep Silver's Business development / Marketing team for this ;D

Last edited by hyp36rmax: 07-26-2012 at 10:56 AM.
hyp36rmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #15
Selvat0r

Is it bad to feel just a "little" ripped off?

I mean, during the sale I bought White Ryder DLC with the last bit of cash I had for on my steam wallet for the sales.

Now if I want the last piece of DLC I have to pay €10,- for just 1 small DLC
I kinda want to complete my Dead Island "collection" but seriously I am not paying €10 just to get 1 last DLC, please sell them separate or let me and others who already have 1 of the 2 DLC get it for small price
Selvat0r is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dead Island