Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 07-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
dye464

Guide: How to fix "Error copying SteamNEW.exe to steam.exe" and all alike problems.

Hey,

i just solved this with a pretty simple solution, which should work on all machines. The Problem in all cases is the Windows File Locking or that the Steam Service/Installer does not release the files.

More detailed explanation

The method is simple:
You update steam yourself, not via patcher.

You need a nonworking Steam already installed for the registry keys and the Service!
Then you patch it on your own. There are three ways obtaining the required files:

1. You can download it here (link below)
2. You can ask a friend to send their steam install to you (don't copy steamapps folder!)
3. You can create a clean patched Steam Installation with a VirtualMachine (thats how i solved my problem and thats where the linked steam download comes from)

When you have obtained the patched Steam Directory you simply copy it over your nonworking steam directory.
Make sure you have the ownership of the directory (Tool to take Ownership)
Make sure you have the rights for the Steamfolder and it is not Read-Only.

If a program is using the directory you can find it with one of these tools:
http://processhacker.sourceforge.net/
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896653.aspx

Here is the current update only (2012/08/16):

https://rapidshare.com/files/1253987..._2012-08-16.7z
http://netload.in/dateiEwvNDUPY1F/st...2-08-16.7z.htm (mirror)

Virus Total report for the file:
https://www.virustotal.com/file/9ffa...is/1345096460/

Download the archive, it contains only the 4 files, that changed with the last update. Overwrite the files in your steam folder and your steam should be up to date.

The Problem with patching will most likely occur next time you want to patch again, since this is a workaround (can't edit thread title) and not a fix. If you don't fix the compatibility issue, you will have to update manually again next time. I don't know why the steam updater causes so much issues. Here is a ridiculously list from Steam itself, which programs Steam has problems with.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...9828-SFLZ-9289 (contains like every virus-scanner that exists lol)

I for myself was not able to fix my own compatibility issue.

So the thread gets found, error messages this is a fix for all of these messages:
Steam.exe (main exception): ERROR: deleted Steam.exe but the file is still there
Steam.exe (main exception): ERROR: deleted SteamNew.exe but the file is still there
Unable to open SteamNew.exe for writing
Error copying SteamNEW.exe to steam.exe

Last edited by dye464: 08-15-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
RTheMonkey

I'm having this problem too. Fixed it a while back but its happening again and the first fix won't work. Gonna try this. Let's hope it works.
RTheMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #3
sdmans

thanks for posting this.
I tried http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896653.aspx but wasn't able to find anything. Then again I just gave the instructions a quick look so might have been just me.

This appears to be a Steam bug so they should fix this.

Thanks again,

Steve
sdmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #4
SunofVich

Yeah, didn't work either. I think what we are dealing with is a new update. The patched update that was uploaded is no longer up-to-date
SunofVich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:52 PM   #5
Lytyr

I just got that problem today, and I did what I always do: restart the computer in Safe Mode with Network capabilities, and then run Steam again. This works 100% of the time whenever I encounter this problem (I'm on Windows 7, just for reference). Might not work for everyone, but it's worth a shot!
Lytyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:23 AM   #6
RTheMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lytyr View Post
I just got that problem today, and I did what I always do: restart the computer in Safe Mode with Network capabilities, and then run Steam again. This works 100% of the time whenever I encounter this problem (I'm on Windows 7, just for reference). Might not work for everyone, but it's worth a shot!
I'v tried this multiple times. Did it the first time steam screwed up and it didn't work then and doesn't work now. Everyone seems to have a different fix for the problem. I don't see any efficient fix that fixes it for everyone.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:25 AM   #7
SunofVich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lytyr View Post
I tried it, same error message.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:29 AM   #8
Lolcuast

Getting the same error here. No fix ive seen worked so far. First time ive recieved this error also.
Lolcuast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:37 AM   #9
xyroclast

Fixed!
Download the Steam installer and run its repair tool!
xyroclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:42 AM   #10
SunofVich

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyroclast View Post
Fixed!
I was pretty excited because this was actually like the only thing I did not try, yet the most easiest.

But... it did not work.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:04 AM   #11
RTheMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunofVich View Post
I was pretty excited because this was actually like the only thing I did not try, yet the most easiest.

But... it did not work.
I already tried this. Didn't work for me either.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:09 AM   #12
Lolcuast

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyroclast View Post
Fixed!
Well i did what this says. It got rid of the error, but replaced it with another one. "Steam.exe (Main Exception): ERROR: delete of steam.exe failed,Win32 Error 5 'Access is denied"
Lolcuast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:39 AM   #13
hangphyr

Getting these errors too for the first time today. I'm still working on trying all the possible solutions people have found, this is a real headache.

Steam installer repair doesnt work for me. Disabling antivirus (avast) temporarily doesnt work. Uninstall + reinstall of steam doesnt work.

Going to try running it again with antivirus temporarily uninstalled. Bugs like this are why forced updates are never a good idea for any software..
hangphyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:13 AM   #14
dye464

Had the same issues, was able to fix it again with this method. I am a bit busy right now i will write detailed instructions and upload an updated archive in about 5 hours...

The steam updater is so crappy

Last edited by dye464: 08-04-2012 at 05:16 AM.
dye464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:09 AM   #15
deviationer

Here is how I fixed it.
Install steam into a different directory
Kill the installer with the task manager before you click finish
Reboot into safe mode with networking
Run steam
It will do all the updating correctly
Reboot into normal windows
Copy all the files in the root directory of the new steam install and paste them in your 'old' steam install.
Then run steam
deviationer is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips