Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Grand Theft Auto series

Old 07-27-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
upsidedownsideu

EFLC has stopped working

I was recently gifted episodes from liberty city and installed it. I already have GTA4 and it works fine and i have the computer specs to run the game. However every time i start the game it shows the rockstar logos and plays the music but right after the purple rockstar logo comes up it shows a black screen and says Episodes from libery city has stopped working and closes. Please help!
Computer specs:
8gb ram
windows 7 (64 bit)
Nvidia geforce GT630m 1gb video ram
i7 processor
Old 07-28-2012, 07:34 AM   #2
Razorbak86

Have you recently verified that you are still able to log into the Rockstar Games Social Club (RGSC) and Games For Windows - Live (GFWL)? Have you confirmed that you have Internet Explorer installed and working on your system?

If so, start up GTA IV (not EFLC for now), log into RGSC, and log into GFWL. When the game is up and running, make a note of the specific display resolution that the game is running in, because you'll want to make sure that EFLC is not starting simply because of a display resolution problem. Then close the game.

Next, on the Windows Desktop, set your display resolution to that same resolution that GTA IV was running in before attempting to start EFLC.

Then go into your Start menu, and start up Games for Windows Marketplace. With that program running in the background, try starting up EFLC.

If that doesn't work, go into the following folder:

C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\Local\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\Settings

In that folder, you should find 5 files:

Limits.dat
serial.dat
SETTINGS
SETTINGS_EFLC
XString.dat

If SETTINGS_EFLC exists, it may be corrupted, preventing the game from starting. Try renaming that file to something else (e.g., 'SETTINGS_EFLC_OLD') and then restarting EFLC. If it works, the original settings file was corrupted, and the game simply created a new one. If that doesn't work, you can always revert back to the original file by simply renaming it back to SETTINGS_EFLC.
Razorbak86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
upsidedownsideu

Thank you Razorbak86 for the help and information. I have still not got it to work but when i went to the settings folder there was no SETTINGS_EFLC file. Could this be the problem?
upsidedownsideu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
Razorbak86

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownsideu View Post
Thank you Razorbak86 for the help and information. I have still not got it to work but when i went to the settings folder there was no SETTINGS_EFLC file. Could this be the problem?
Normally, I would interpret that as an indication that the installation process never completed, but you said you have actually run the game successfully once before. Is that correct?

Try verifying the game cache through Steam once again.

Right click on 'Grand Theft Auto IV' in your Steam Library > Properties > Local Files tab > Verify Integrity of Game Cache. After that process completes, do the same thing for 'Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City'.

Make a note if any files were missing and subsequently re-downloaded. If the Steam verification process tells you that they were, then turn off your anti-virus before starting the game again.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #5
upsidedownsideu

I kind of bypassed your instruction on the internet explorer part because i assumed i had it installed and i do. but i just tried starting internet explorer and when the window opened up it gave me an internet explorer has stopped working error and this message

The instruction at 0x08cafffb refenced memory at 0x08cafffb.
The memory could not be written.

I think this is the problem. How do i fix this and thank you for all the help

Last edited by upsidedownsideu: 07-28-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #6
Razorbak86

Quote:
I kind of bypassed your instruction on the internet explorer part because i assumed i had it installed and i do. but i just tried starting internet explorer and when the window opened up it gave me an internet explorer has stopped working error and this message

The instruction at 0x08cafffb refenced memory at 0x08cafffb.
The memory could not be written.

I think this is the problem. How do i fix this and thank you for all the help
I don't know what to tell you about that particular error message, but you should be able to resolve your problems with Internet Explorer by looking through the following links.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/i...orer/help/ie-9

BTW, I am assuming you have IE9 installed, even though you are getting an error message? If you're only running IE8, try installing IE9. A successful installation of IE9 may resolve your error message.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #7
Razorbak86

Also, can you please explicitly confirm (or deny) each of the following:

1) You can/(cannot) still successfully start up GTA IV.
2) During the GTA IV start-up, you are/(are not) able to log into the Rockstar Games Social Club (RGSC).
3) During the GTA IV start-up, you are/(are not) able to log into Games For Windows - Live (GFWL).

Thanks.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #8
upsidedownsideu

Yeah the internet explorer was causing the problem. I am successfully running GTA episodes from liberty city. Thank you very much Razorbak86 for all the help!
Old 07-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #9
Razorbak86

Quote:
Yeah the internet explorer was causing the problem. I am successfully running GTA episodes from liberty city. Thank you very much Razorbak86 for all the help!
You're welcome. Were you running IE8 or IE9? I presume you were able to fix it with IE9?
Old 07-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #10
upsidedownsideu

i must have had a corrupted IE9 file so i uninstalled it and re installed it
Old 07-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #11
Razorbak86

Good to know. Thanks. People are having a number of installation problems on both games, and I think IE (either corrupted or not installed) is at the root of a lot of it.

Enjoy the game. TBoGT is my favorite game in the entire GTA IV series.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Grand Theft Auto series