Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source Filmmaker

Old 07-28-2012, 06:06 AM   #1
SpetsnazGuy

Problem exporting movies

Yesterday I made myself a movie, a proper one. So I wanted to export it as a .avi file and put it on youtube. However I encountered a problem. I rendered it, all fine and good, then I went to go open it up, guess what? An error, saying 'Windows media player has encountered a problem when playing this file'

I tried everything from installing Quicktime (Which brings up an error at startup of Sfm) and to using VLC player and such, I've re-rendered and again the same damn issue. Another note, I also tried uploading to youtube via the sharing tab, but it says that my internet connection needs to be checked when it's perfect and fine.

Can anyone help?
Old 07-28-2012, 06:16 AM   #2
IceAxe18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpetsnazGuy View Post
Yesterday I made myself a movie, a proper one. So I wanted to export it as a .avi file and put it on youtube. However I encountered a problem. I rendered it, all fine and good, then I went to go open it up, guess what? An error, saying 'Windows media player has encountered a problem when playing this file'

I tried everything from installing Quicktime (Which brings up an error at startup of Sfm) and to using VLC player and such, I've re-rendered and again the same damn issue. Another note, I also tried uploading to youtube via the sharing tab, but it says that my internet connection needs to be checked when it's perfect and fine.

Can anyone help?
Please report that as a bug, because I reported and they told me that I'm the only one that has reported this kind of thing.

The temp solution that I did was to bring it from 720p to 480p in the settings when you export.

IceAxe18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:47 AM   #3
SpetsnazGuy

Okay, I'll report and I'll try that as well.
SpetsnazGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:30 AM   #4
lostprophetpunk

Firstly, have you tried opening your video with any other video player...such as Quicktime or VLC Media Player?

Secondly, the problem with the YouTube export...everyone is having trouble with it...in which it is a bug within SFM they will hopefully fix in the next update.
lostprophetpunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:59 AM   #5
SpetsnazGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostprophetpunk View Post
Firstly, have you tried opening your video with any other video player...such as Quicktime or VLC Media Player?

Secondly, the problem with the YouTube export...everyone is having trouble with it...in which it is a bug within SFM they will hopefully fix in the next update.
Yes, I have. With Quicktime it just gives me an error when I load it up. And VLC it doesn't play at all.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:28 AM   #6
IceAxe18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpetsnazGuy View Post
Yes, I have. With Quicktime it just gives me an error when I load it up. And VLC it doesn't play at all.
Can you also tell your specs please?

Mine is:

AMD Phenom II X2 Processor 3.2GHz
Asus M2N68 AM Plus motherboard
EVGA 450 GTS 1GB PCI Express
4GB DDR2 Memory
22" Emerson TV/Monitor
1 TB HD
DVD R/RW
Windows 7 64bit
Old 07-28-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
SpetsnazGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAxe18 View Post
Can you also tell your specs please?

Mine is:

AMD Phenom II X2 Processor 3.2GHz
Asus M2N68 AM Plus motherboard
EVGA 450 GTS 1GB PCI Express
4GB DDR2 Memory
22" Emerson TV/Monitor
1 TB HD
DVD R/RW
Windows 7 64bit
My specs, are

Intel i5 2400 3.1GHz
Asus P8H61-M LE/USB3
GTX 550 Ti
4GB DDR3 Memory
500GB HDD
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Old 07-28-2012, 01:02 PM   #8
Cyclometh

I strongly urge people not to bother with the direct encoding in SFM and just export as image sequences with a standalone WAV file, then do your conversion to video in VirtualDub or AfterEffects.

So far I love everything about SFM except its in-built video export which seems to be pretty wonky- it's either washed out or too dark to see and there seem to be a lot of bugs in it.
Cyclometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #9
DeliriousBiz

I think I may be having the same problem, does my bug post here include the problems you're having?
DeliriousBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
IceAxe18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliriousBiz View Post
I think I may be having the same problem, does my bug post here include the problems you're having?
Yep thats pretty much the same thing except that I got it to work at a lower res though. I don't know if SpetsnazGuy got it to work at a lower res.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:17 PM   #11
SpetsnazGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAxe18 View Post
Yep thats pretty much the same thing except that I got it to work at a lower res though. I don't know if SpetsnazGuy got it to work at a lower res.
Nope, I haven't got it to work at a lower res. Guess we got to wait until Valve fix it or something.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source Filmmaker